FW: New Large Feathertouch Focuser - A Preview

  • Larry Geary
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2002
      -----Original Message-----
      From: mottisp [mailto:mottisp@...]
      Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 1:54 AM
      To: Refractors@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Refractors] New Large Feathertouch Focuser - A Preview

      Hi all,

      Just writing to say that I was over at Starlight Instruments a few
      nights ago and got to see the prototype for the new Large
      Feathertouch rotating refractor focuser. All of you who have on order
      the TEC-140 (on which it will be standard) are in for a treat. As
      smooth as the original feathertouch, but a totally new heavy lifting
      design. It is a huge greaseless(yippee!) rack setup with an smooth
      rotating and locking mechanism. A large compression fitting locks on
      to the camera or diagonal. The knobs are huge and the layout
      remeniscent of the small feathertouch but scaled up. I think that
      www.telescopengineering.com has a photo of their prototype 140 with
      this new focuser on their web page. The folks at Starlight said that
      they will also sell the focuser as a replacement for high end APO's
      with appropriate adapters and such. The first run is happening this
      summer and I'm not sure if all the focusers are spoken for yet. If I
      still had my 155edfs, I'd would have tried to wrestle the prototype
      away from them - crowbars, stamping, crying and puppy dog eyes -
      whatever it would have taken!

      No financial interest or anything of the sort - I'm just excited,
      even though it's of no use for my newtonian which sports its baby
      brother...

      Motti Pikelny