Re: TMB 102x650 field flattener

  • limunary
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2002
      --- In tmboptical@y..., "ricthiem" <rthiem@a...> wrote:
      > Hi all:
      > I am the proud owner of #990029, a 102x650 triplet with a 4" focuser
      > {Yang ?}. I would like to find a field flattener to handle 35mm for
      > now and maybe 6x7 latter. Any idea's
      > Ric Thiem
      > Alb. N.M.

      Ric,

      I make the WAA that you can get a flattner for 6x7 from APM. The
      threads on my FF are 110mm x 1.5 (this is for a TMB-152 with 4" focuser).

      Adapting a 35mm to the FF shouldn't be to difficult. Check the bottom
      of this page for a picture of a 6x7 to 35mm adapter. The right most
      piece is a pentax off-the-shelf adapter.

      http://www.stellar-international.com/mformat.html

      Pentax makes various adapters to convert "6x7 lenses" to a 35mm
      camera. I have one that converts 6x7 to 'P' threads, labeled
      "P-Adapter for 6x7 lens". I had Richard make a 'T' adapter to go from
      P threads to a Nikon bayonet. The distance from the FF to the film
      plane is still within spec, but not quite close enough to use the
      focuser aid for both 35mm and 6x7. By using these in conjuncion with
      a knife edge or grating, the adapter can do double duty. (as Stellar
      products do). Hope this helps.

      Tim
    • Jon Kolb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2002
        Ric, Tim,

        > > I am the proud owner of #990029, a 102x650 triplet with a 4" focuser
        > > {Yang ?}. I would like to find a field flattener to handle 35mm for
        > > now and maybe 6x7 latter. Any idea's

        > Adapting a 35mm to the FF shouldn't be to difficult. Check
        > the bottom of this page for a picture of a 6x7 to 35mm
        > adapter. The right most piece is a pentax off-the-shelf adapter.
        > ...snip...

        As I discovered while fiddling with parts from my medium format Borg
        gear, mounting a 35mm camera to a TMB can be done with off the shelf
        parts combined with the TMB field flattener and Pentax 67 mount.
        There's no need to have anybody make something custom, since it turns
        out that Borg P67 to 35mm adapters fit the Pentax 67 mount that I
        received from TMB as is. The nice thing about this adapter is that it
        threads in the to Pentax 67 mount for rigidity, and also allows you to
        use the Borg 35mm wide T-rings (similar to Tak) that eliminate hard-stop
        vignetting. Since these parts are made to adapt 35mm to Pentax 67, they
        already have the correct flattener to film plane spacing accounted for.

        The correct part numbers needed are thus:
        - #8267 6x7 Multi-adapter
        - #7508 2-inch Holder SS
        - #7000 Camera Mount Holder
        - #500x Camera Mount (x varies with camera body brand)

        The system diagram is here:
        http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/s115a.gif

        It would be best to contact Ted at Hutech to verify the part numbers and
        availability. Also, I have not actually taken a picture this way (my
        152 is only a few weeks old, and it's waiting for a heavier mount than
        my G-11 for photography - besides that I mostly shoot medium format),
        but I have threaded the parts together and know that it will work.

        Hope this helps,

        Sincerely,
        Jon Kolb
        Adventures in Astrophotography
        http://home.datawest.net/jkolb/
        jkolb@...
      • limunary
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2002
          --- In tmboptical@y..., "Jon Kolb" <jkolb@d...> wrote:

          Jon,

          B-I-N-G-O this looks like the hot set up. I'm sure it's less
          expensive than my version. If the focus hits the 35mm focal plane
          exactly that would be a huge bonus. I'm going to call Ted on Monday
          to see whats up.

          I am curious about the 2" helical focuser (#8167), if one spins it to
          adjust focus, does the EP also rotate?

          Thanks for jumping in with this info.

          Clear Skies

          Tim Povlick