100mm Vixen or German tube???

  • ekjinaz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
      The advantages of the Vixen tube, weight and cost, plus I have no
      need
      for the photographic capabilities of the German CNC tube model seems
      to make the decision to get the Vixen tube a no-brainer but is there
      something I'm missing? Are additional upgrades or accessories needed
      with one vis-a-vis the other that will make the Vixen less
      attractive?
      Also will there be any advantage in having the shorter physical
      length tube and faster f/6.2 tube? Thanks for your help.
    • limunary
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
        --- In tmboptical@y..., "ekjinaz" <ekjinaz@y...> wrote:
        > The advantages of the Vixen tube, weight and cost,

        I don't have a Vixen tube, so you can take all this with a grain of
        salt, but I think the CNC weight thing is way over blown. A little
        GM-8 will hold it no problem. The question is better answered knowing
        your mount. Did I mention the weight thing is way overblown? As to
        the cost, the way I see it my TMB-152 is a keeper, which (hopefully)
        makes the per year cost very small.

        > plus I have no need
        > for the photographic capabilities of the German CNC tube model seems

        Maybe not now, but perhaps a year or two from now the CCD bug will
        bite? The new models are coming down in price and they can do an
        outstanding job, especially with an H-alpha filter.
        The CNC focuser is real sweet. For astrophoto work I can dial in
        precise focus very easily. For visual there is no annoying image shift.

        > to make the decision to get the Vixen tube a no-brainer but is there
        > something I'm missing? Are additional upgrades or accessories
        > needed with one vis-a-vis the other that will make the Vixen less
        > attractive?

        I don't think it's a no brainer. Perhaps Mike C. can jump in here as
        I believe he has experience with both types.

        > Also will there be any advantage in having the shorter physical
        > length tube and faster f/6.2 tube?

        It's shorter and the optics are faster :-)

        > Thanks for your help.

        No problem. Good luck with you decision.

        Tim Povlick
        San Juan Capistrano, CA
      • ryderc1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
          Someone I know was rather disappointed in the focuser quality (and
          plastic knobs) of the Vixen tube version. I have owned both the 105
          and 100--both in CNCtubes. I persopnally like the beefy, superb
          engineering and feel of the CNC tubes and find the weight no problem
          on my Giro 2 Deluxe or my GM-8. Perhaps you can arrive at compromise
          solution by going with the less costly Vixen tube version and then
          modifying it with a Feathertouch focuser (see Cloudy Nights review) to
          have a superb focuser and light weight OTA.

          I'm not into fphotography and don't intend to be so sold my 105 in
          favor of the 100. It balances easier on my mounts and I absolutely no
          regrets.

          The main thing is to get superb TMB optics. I suspect you'll be happy
          with either OTA.

          -------