TMB 100/800 Accessory Recommendations

  • ohyeah502
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      Hello tmboptical group:
      I'm a newbie who just purchased a 100/800 w/CNC tube.
      Looking forward to using this wonderful instrument. If possible,
      please recommend a 2" diagonal, finder scope, and mount. I was
      thinking in terms of an AP Maxbright or Everbright for the diagonal,
      and I'm really not sure on the finder (I do have the finder bracket,
      of course). GP/DX or GM-8 for the mount?
      Thanks in advance.
      Tom
    • ryderc1
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2002
        I'm not comfortable with conventional finder scopes, so I use a 32 TV
        Plossel and/or a Rigel Quickfinder. I use the Giro 2 Deluxe mount on a
        Meade Field Tripod and AP wooden tripod and a Maxbright diagonal.

        --- In tmboptical@y..., "tomdemary" <demary@a...> wrote:
        > --- In tmboptical@y..., "ohyeah502" <truggiero@h...> wrote:
        > > Hello tmboptical group:
        > > I'm a newbie who just purchased a 100/800 w/CNC tube.
        > > Looking forward to using this wonderful instrument. If possible,
        > > please recommend a 2" diagonal, finder scope, and mount. I was
        > > thinking in terms of an AP Maxbright or Everbright for the
        diagonal,
        > Either is fine. I bought an AP Maxbright.
        >
        > > and I'm really not sure on the finder (I do have the finder

        > > of course).
        > I don't use a finder, I use a wide angle eyepiece: 27mm or 35mm
        > Panoptic or a 31 mm Nagler will do fine. If you a really a newbie,
        > you might be more comfortable with a real finder, but a wide angle
        > eyepiece will give a 3 degree field of view or more, while a finder
        > gives a 5 or 6 degree field of view.
        >
        > GP/DX or GM-8 for the mount?
        > I put mine on a G-11, where it is rock solid. The choice between
        > a GP/DX or GM-8 comes downs to your personal preference. I waffled
        > back and forth, and then got a good deal on a used G-11. The G-11
        > is overkill for the 100 f/8, but it is a more versatile mount for
        > when you get aperture fever.
        >
        > Tom DeMa
      • Jeffrey D. Gortatowsky
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2002
          > I put mine on a G-11, where it is rock solid. The choice between
          > a GP/DX or GM-8 comes downs to your personal preference. I waffled
          > back and forth, and then got a good deal on a used G-11. The G-11

          Thanks Tom. Glad you like the G11!
        • limunary
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2002
            --- In tmboptical@y..., "ohyeah502" <truggiero@h...> wrote:
            > Hello tmboptical group:
            > I'm a newbie who just purchased a 100/800 w/CNC tube.

            Hello Tom and welcome to the 'club'.

            > Looking forward to using this wonderful instrument. If possible,
            > please recommend a 2" diagonal, finder scope, and mount. I was
            > thinking in terms of an AP Maxbright or Everbright for the diagonal,

            Personally, I liked the AP Maxbright better. The end that goes into
            the scope is tappered and this results in a tight, flush fit.

            > and I'm really not sure on the finder (I do have the finder bracket,
            > of course). GP/DX or GM-8 for the mount?

            I've not seen a GP/DX, so take this with a grain of salt. The GM-8 is
            a nice mount. Losmandy is in the process of upgrading the worm gear,
            which from initial reports, is improving the rate of change in the
            periodic error, making it easy for autoguiders to correct properly.
            How about an AP-400 on a wood tripod? As mentioned consider a G-11.

            Finder : I dunno.

            Tim