My solution to the TMB105-GR2 balance issue

  • pattern120@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      (I'll try posting again. Unsuccessful the first time. Yahoo is so
      unreliable on posting recently.)

      I put a folder in the "Files" section on this group that has my
      modification pics to the GR-2 arm so that it can accept the Losmandy
      GM-8 saddle plate. Pretty easy to do with hand tools.

      This allows the TMB105 to slide further forward than it can using
      only the rings, so that the scope will balance fine with a Nagler
      31mm. No drag on the friction knob is needed except at very high
      angles of elevation.

      Added bonus is that I can now use all my scopes on the GR-2.
      (And don't ask me about the Mizar thing, I didn't order it.)

      Clear skies,

      John Ford
      SouthEastern Michigan
    • yooody@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hi John,

        That looks interesting. I will see what I can come up with. I
        agree with you about having a handle on the lens cap. I like to cover
        the lens if the scope is to be left out for any prolonged period. It
        is difficult to get the cap over the lens with the dew sheild in
        place. I might ask Markus to machine a cover for the dew sheild and
        maybe redo the cap to add a handle.
        Althoug my review of the TMB 105 was not nearly as technical as
        yours, I was extremely impressed with the capabilities of the scope.
        I can't imagine a better 4 inch refractor. I have to see how the Tak
        90 compares.

        Marc Zukoff ---

      • pattern120@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
          Extra technote,

          By the way, the holes are 1/4-20 thread. As the pic shows, the holes
          are drilled at right angles to the original holes. I first used a
          1/16 inch drill to make an accurate "guide" hole then used the 1/4-20
          drill & tap set. Used a hand drill for everything.
          Took me about a half hour.

          Regards,

          John Ford