Current status of TMB products

  • mackey
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hello to all TMB members,

      Will TMB Optical continue producing large-aperture refractors
      like 158mm or 180mm? The largest aperture I can find in various
      dealers is 130mm.

      Thanks for any info.

      Hojong Lin
    • Eric Jamison
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011
        Hi,

        Currently the largest apo that TMB Optical is producing is 130mm. However
        Tom did have designs for apo's up to 6". It is not clear when/if these will
        be produced.

        Hope this helps,

        Eric

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011
          I believe that Tom did the designing for all of the larger lenses too.  Tom did
          the designing, and APM did the manufacturing.

             ...Neil

          www.flemingastrophotography.com
          Also check out the astro_narrowbandYahoo group!

          ________________________________

          > Will TMB Optical continue producing large-aperture refractors
          > like 158mm or 180mm? The largest aperture I can find in various
          > dealers is 130mm.
          >
          > Thanks for any info.
          >
          > Hojong Lin

        • Eric Jamison
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011
            Right, I was just referring to the current TMB apo's that he designed and
            are being produced by Astronomics..

            Eric

            > Will TMB Optical continue producing large-aperture refractors
            > like 158mm or 180mm? The largest aperture I can find in various
            > dealers is 130mm.
            >
            > Thanks for any info.
            >
            > Hojong Lin

          • Eric Baumgartner
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011
              But the original poster was specifically asking about focal lengths larger
              than 130mm. To the best of my knowledge, it is still possible to order
              large APO scopes with TMB-designed air-spaced triplets through APM /
              Markus Ludes, either through his American subsidiary (see
              <http://www.apmamerica.com/> or from his German headquarters (see
              <http://www.apm-telescopes.de/>).

              Eric Baumgartner
              Redding, CT USA

              On 01/30/11 12:11 PM, "Eric Jamison" <ericjam@...> wrote:

              >Right, I was just referring to the current TMB apo's that he designed and
              >are being produced by Astronomics..
              >
              >Eric

            • Eric Jamison
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 30, 2011
                Yes, but he was specifically asking about TMB Optical as shown below:

                >> Will TMB Optical continue producing large-aperture refractors
                >> like 158mm or 180mm? The largest aperture I can find in various
                >> dealers is 130mm.

                It is my understanding that TMB Optical and APM no longer have a business
                relationship. However there is nothing preventing him from ordering an APM
                with a TMB designed lens if that is what wants.