Okay Now How About Barlows?

  • starguy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
      We got a pretty good response on eyepieces now what Barlow is everyone using or are you using a Barlow at all? - This should include both 2" and 1 1/4". Lots of them out there
    • Wally Lucas
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
        I have two 1.25" from Orion...one is a deluxe Apo-chromatic three lens Barlow--frankly I cannot tell the difference between it & the Orion std Barlow.  I don't find any image degradation using one and use one whenever I need the higher magnification.  Best to keep it very clean as dust tends to spoil the contrast.

        We got a pretty good response on eyepieces now what Barlow is everyone using or are you using a Barlow at all? - This should include both 2" and 1 1/4". Lots of them out there

      • Eric Jamison
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
          Hi,

          For a number of years Tom Back considered the Zeiss 1.25" barlow to be the
          best on the market.

          He later designed and had produced a 1.25" 1.8x barlow that he felt exceeded
          the Zeiss in performance. This is the one I use when I need extra
          magnification.

          Best,

          Eric

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
            I also have the TMB 1.8x Barlow; I got it at the same time as the Mono's.

            The Zeiss 2x Abbe Barlow looks very good to me also, the advantage with
            it is it ability to accept T-2 adapter and extensions tubes for multiple
            imaging powers. It is very popular for use with webcam type cameras for
            planetary imaging. Astro Physics are selling them, but like all high quality
            products don't be surprised at the cost.

            http://www.astro-physics.com/

            Click on the Baader Products and then the Zeiss Abbe II Eyepiece set; the
            Barlow is at the bottom of that page.

            All the best,