Re: Help with collimation requested

  • dkapla12
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2010
      Thanks for the response. When collimating, do you loosen all of the the locking screws first or just loosen the side you're adjusting?

      Thanks. Dan

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Jamison" <ericjam@...> wrote:

      > Dan,
      >
      > This may not answer your question directly but Dietmar Hager, who owns a TMB
      > 9" f/9 Triplet APO Folded Refractor, discusses how he collimated the scope
      > using Takahashi collimation scope:
      >
      > http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-465-0-0-1-0.html
      >
      > He posts on this group from time to time as well.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > Eric
      >

      > > Hi all. I have a TMB 175 f8 and I have a Tak collimator. The short
      > instruction sheet that came with it doesn't really help me much. I was
      > wondering if anyone can provide instructions, or maybe a link, as to exacly
      > how to use this collimator and also how to adjust the colimation of the
      > lenses.
      > >
      > > Thanks much.
      > >

      > > Dan Kaplan

    • Eric Jamison
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2010
        Dan,

        It is not my article, it is by Dietmar Hager. You can contact him at:

        contact@...

        Best,

        Eric

        > Thanks for the response. When collimating, do you loosen all of the the
        locking screws first or just loosen the side you're adjusting?

        > Thanks. Dan
        >
        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Jamison" <ericjam@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dan,
        > >
        > > This may not answer your question directly but Dietmar Hager, who owns a
        TMB
        > > 9" f/9 Triplet APO Folded Refractor, discusses how he collimated the
        scope
        > > using Takahashi collimation scope:
        > >
        > > http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-465-0-0-1-0.html
        > >
        > > He posts on this group from time to time as well.
        > >
        > > Hope this helps,
        > >
        > > Eric
        > >

        > > > Hi all. I have a TMB 175 f8 and I have a Tak collimator. The short
        > > instruction sheet that came with it doesn't really help me much. I was
        > > wondering if anyone can provide instructions, or maybe a link, as to
        exacly
        > > how to use this collimator and also how to adjust the colimation of the
        > > lenses.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks much.
        > > >

        > > > Dan Kaplan

      • dkapla12
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2010
          Thanks. I was just wondering if anyone has collimated their scope and knew more about how to do it. It looks pretty straight forward, though. I tried using the collimator last night and the circles I saw were close to concentric but not quite, so I figure I'll try to get them as close as possible to see if that makes a difference in the image.

          Thanks again.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2010
            Dan,

            I collimated my 130/780 with a Cheshire eyepiece and your answer is
            yes. The idea is to loosen one collimation screw and tighten the opposite
            two, or visa-versa, so the lock screws must be backed off a little for the
            adjustments. Start with very small adjustments, say 1/16 of a turn and
            always adjust the opposite two the same amount. In the beginning, turn the
            allen screw some to feel its snugness and return it to is original spot; do
            this on all three screws. If there is one that has a looser feel, tighten it
            until it matches the other two in firmness and start the adjustments from
            there. When you have the circle concentric tighten all of the lock screws
            and recheck to see if the rings are still concentric; some times a lock
            screw will affect the adjustment.

            I spent 24 years as a calibration technician for Lockheed Martin making
            all kinds of adjustments on tools and test equipment. You should do fine;
            start slow and then slow down! VBG

            All the best,

            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            "Eric Jamison" <ericjam@...> wrote:

            > Dan,
            >
            > This may not answer your question directly but Dietmar Hager, who owns a
            TMB
            > 9" f/9 Triplet APO Folded Refractor, discusses how he collimated the scope
            > using Takahashi collimation scope:
            >
            > http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-465-0-0-1-0.html
            >
            > He posts on this group from time to time as well.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > Eric
            >

            > > Hi all. I have a TMB 175 f8 and I have a Tak collimator. The short
            > instruction sheet that came with it doesn't really help me much. I was
            > wondering if anyone can provide instructions, or maybe a link, as to
            exacly
            > how to use this collimator and also how to adjust the colimation of the
            > lenses.
            > >
            > > Thanks much.
            > >

            > > Dan Kaplan

          • dkapla12
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2010
              I played around with it a little last night and got the circles pretty close to concentric. I may work on it some more soon, just to get more of a feel for the way it works, but it was fun to work with, and straightforward.

              Thanks for the pointers.

              Dan

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

              > Dan,
              >
              > I collimated my 130/780 with a Cheshire eyepiece and your answer is
              > yes. The idea is to loosen one collimation screw and tighten the opposite
              > two, or visa-versa, so the lock screws must be backed off a little for the
              > adjustments. Start with very small adjustments, say 1/16 of a turn and
              > always adjust the opposite two the same amount. In the beginning, turn the
              > allen screw some to feel its snugness and return it to is original spot; do
              > this on all three screws. If there is one that has a looser feel, tighten it
              > until it matches the other two in firmness and start the adjustments from
              > there. When you have the circle concentric tighten all of the lock screws
              > and recheck to see if the rings are still concentric; some times a lock
              > screw will affect the adjustment.
              >
              > I spent 24 years as a calibration technician for Lockheed Martin making
              > all kinds of adjustments on tools and test equipment. You should do fine;
              > start slow and then slow down! VBG
              >

              > All the best,
              >
              > Terry
              >

              > _____

            • Fernando Rivera III
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2010
                Hi, Dan

                Just wondering if you know how your Apo scope lost its ideal collimation in the
                first place? I thought it was pretty difficult for premium Apos to not stay
                perfectly collimated in the first place?

                Regards,

                Fernando

                ________________________________
                I played around with it a little last night and got the circles pretty close to
                concentric. I may work on it some more soon, just to get more of a feel for the
                way it works, but it was fun to work with, and straightforward.

                Thanks for the pointers.

                Dan

                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                > Dan,
                >
                > I collimated my 130/780 with a Cheshire eyepiece and your answer is
                > yes. The idea is to loosen one collimation screw and tighten the opposite
                > two, or visa-versa, so the lock screws must be backed off a little for the
                > adjustments. Start with very small adjustments, say 1/16 of a turn and
                > always adjust the opposite two the same amount. In the beginning, turn the
                > allen screw some to feel its snugness and return it to is original spot; do
                > this on all three screws. If there is one that has a looser feel, tighten it
                > until it matches the other two in firmness and start the adjustments from
                > there. When you have the circle concentric tighten all of the lock screws
                > and recheck to see if the rings are still concentric; some times a lock
                > screw will affect the adjustment.
                >
                > I spent 24 years as a calibration technician for Lockheed Martin making
                > all kinds of adjustments on tools and test equipment. You should do fine;
                > start slow and then slow down! VBG
                >

                > All the best,
                >
                > Terry
                >

                > _____

              • dkapla12
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2010
                  It was pretty close to begin with, but I would guess when these things are shipped, if they are jostled around a bit it doesn't hurt to check. I'm the second owner of the scope, so it was shipped from Germany to the original owner and then shipped several hundred more miles to me. And the collimation was still very close. I haven't had the scope out since the collimation, so I can't say if it really made a difference.

                  Dan