Re: [tmboptical] Filters

  • Rob Willett
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 24, 2010
      Hi all,

      I tend to lurk rather than contribute but I read this and thought I
      agreed with Starguy. I have a number of filters, I recall some were
      expensive as I chased that elusive better image. However now I find I
      almost never use a filter, apart from a grey filter on an over bright
      moon. In fact now I think about it, I can't remember the last time I put
      one on, mmmm, time to sell them?

      I use a TMB 100mm/f8 lightweight with a AP Maxbright. I feel that my
      optical path is as good as I can afford, why sully it with something else.

      Rob.

      On 24/08/10 15:42, starguy wrote:

      > Not sure what others are doing here but I'm not a big fan of filters.
      > They have their place and can sometimes improve an image but they also
      > can detract.
      >
      > Over the years I've used various types of filters on different scopes,
      > SCT, Newt, Refractor. The minus-V filters (Baader, Orion, etc.) do
      > seem to help with the acrho's but at a price. differing wave-length
      > filters help with some DSO's as do pure color filters with planetary
      > and lunar viewing. But, again, at a price.
      >
      > I've tried various filters on the TMB and so far have found that it
      > looks best without. I think this is speaking well of the optics -
      >
      > This is just my opinion and what I see with my eyes (that are getting
      > older by the day). Many factors seem to come into play when using any
      > filter - scope, conditions, your own impressions and personal tastes.
      >
      > Always open for anything that will improve the image - How about
      > sharing with everyone your experiences and preferences for filters.

    • Eric Jamison
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 29, 2010
        Terry,

        Thanks for the kind words. I have used B+W camera filters and they have
        worked very well for me.

        Best,

        Eric