Number of TMB 130ss Made

  • starguy
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 16, 2010
      Checked to see how many 130 Signature Series were made before Thomas passed away - Looks like around 100 - If anyone has info to exact number would appreciate it.

      My SS is #10 - Fantastic scope with the best star images I have ever seen. Looks like at one time there was some bad press on these scopes but I just wonder it might have been a case of sour grapes.
    • Jeffrey A. Steinberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 2010
        How do the ones Astronomics is selling now compare? Please no flame wars, just wondering.

        -----------------
        Jeffrey Steinberg
        914-374-7503

        On Aug 16, 2010, at 7:41 AM, "starguy" <starguy@...> wrote:

        > Checked to see how many 130 Signature Series were made before Thomas passed away - Looks like around 100 - If anyone has info to exact number would appreciate it.
        >
        > My SS is #10 - Fantastic scope with the best star images I have ever seen. Looks like at one time there was some bad press on these scopes but I just wonder it might have been a case of sour grapes.

      • Roy Ramdeen
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2010
          Jeffery,
          The earlier TMB CNC'S i have been told were hand picked by Thomas, these had LZOS elements that were hand picked and tested by Thomas. I don't know about the TMB's after his passing.
          The CNC series were the best ever. Thomas Back was a legendary
          Optical Designer. The newer scopes fall short of everything he inspired.

          Roy
          E=mc²

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 17, 2010
            Thank you. With due respect, if you have not seen a newer one, how can you compare? I am looking for someone who has star tested both. I would hope the heirs to his estate would not have compromised his legacy (well deserved) with a bad manufacturer.

            Thank you for your input.

            -----------------
            Jeffrey Steinberg
            914-374-7503

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 17, 2010
              Jeffery,

              I have not seen the TMB SS Series scopes either, but I have seen a ton
              of images produced by them. Image wise it is hard to tell them apart from
              the APM/TMB 130/780. I have one of the first made S/N 006; it is the
              silver/gray model before they started using FT focusers. When Tom designed
              the SS Series, he said himself it was not up to the high level of the LZOS
              objectives, but well corrected for a lot less money than the LZOS scope.
              When I saw the first images produced from these scopes, I was very
              impressed.

              I tried searching in the archives, but only found one post by Thomas about
              the quality of the 130 SS; it was msg. #33331. They had some problems early
              on with the focuser; that is why there is a feather Touch model.

              All the best,

              <mailto:starguy%40fuse.net> > wrote:

              > > > Checked to see how many 130 Signature Series were made before Thomas
              passed away - Looks like around 100 - If anyone has info to exact number
              would appreciate it.

              > > > My SS is #10 - Fantastic scope with the best star images I have ever
              seen. Looks like at one time there was some bad press on these scopes but I
              just wonder it might have been a case of sour grapes.

            • Terry Hancock
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 17, 2010
                I have the current version which I bought from astronomics early last year. Before I bought this fantastic piece of equipment I looked very hard for any negative comments or reviews and I must have missed msg #33331.

                I couldn’t be happier with mine, this is my latest image of M31 shot a few weeks ago http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryhancock/4823964731/lightbox/

                I am not familiar with the earlier versions but I would love to see someone post some images to compare.

                All The Best

                Terry Hancock

                <http://www.downunderobservatory.com> www.downunderobservatory.com

                <http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryhancock/> http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryhancock/

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17, 2010
                  Terry,

                  Hunter Wilson has some images taken with the TMB 130/780:

                  http://hwilson.zenfolio.com/p538467659/h23FEEDFE#h23feedfe

                  There are more on the web; just search for TMB 130/780 and you will get
                  several hits. As health concerns is why my system is not up and running, I
                  don't have any as of yet.

                  What do you think of your CGE Pro; looks like a lot of mount for the money?

                  All the best,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 17, 2010
                    Hi Terry

                    Hunter does great work with his TMB, images to aspire to and it sure helps
                    to have good optics like the TMB.

                    I sure hope your health improves and it's nothing serious?.

                    As to what I think of the CGE PRO, without going into details in this group,
                    it had a few teething problems (polite way of putting it).

                    It seems to be performing like it should now, I doubt that anyone would
                    question it's the best mount you will get for $5K (new)

                    I think I have the only CGE PRO in existence that has a spring loaded RA
                    drive. (it comes std with a spring loaded DEC drive only)

                    In hindsight I wish I had spent another $2-$3K and got me an MI 250.

                    I'm happy to go into detail if you would like to email me.

                    From: tmboptical@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com>