TMB Planetary Eyepieces

  • dg869500
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2010
      I was wondering if someone could give me some background on the TMB planetary series of eyepieces. I have one that is a 6mm / black barrel and it seems to be a nice eyepiece.

      Thanks, Donnie
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4 9:17 PM
        Donnie,

        Here is what burgess optical says:

        http://www.burgessoptical.com/EPs/Planetary.html

        HTH,

        All the best,

        Message 3 of 7 , May 4 10:44 PM
          AFAIK they were the first collaboration between Thomas Back and Burgess. For their day, and price point they were quite the bargain. Ortho like performance with a 60° field, and little difference performance/ER wise between FL's. They initially had glare issues which was cured by offering replacement retainer rings that had a micro groove in them. Going from a pretty bad memory here but i think they are 5 element with a lens pair out front that is like a barlow but goes by a different name. I've got the 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7.5mm, and had a 9mm. The 9mm was sent in for warranty repair/replacement never to be seen again... too bad I liked that one. I never liked the mechanics much of the screw-up eyecup but I found the glass nice.

          Ryan

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "dg869500" <cfzepp@...> wrote:

          > I was wondering if someone could give me some background on the TMB planetary series of eyepieces. I have one that is a 6mm / black barrel and it seems to be a nice eyepiece.
          >
          > Thanks, Donnie

        • Donnie Garrett
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5 3:10 AM
            Terry:
            Thanks for the link to the TMB eyepiece info at burgess optical.

            Donnie

            On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Terry Tuggle <tlt284@...> wrote:

            > Donnie,
            >
            > Here is what burgess optical says:
            >
            > http://www.burgessoptical.com/EPs/Planetary.html
            >
            > HTH,
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Terry
            >
            > _____

          • Roy Ramdeen
            Message 5 of 7 , May 8 9:27 AM
              You are correct Ryan, I have a set as well, then came the radians from
              Televue which I moved to. The original TMB's were great for the price
              point.

              Roy
              E = mc(2)

              On May 4, 2010, at 11:44 PM, "rcmcivor2000" <rcmcivor@...> wrote:

              > AFAIK they were the first collaboration between Thomas Back and
              > Burgess. For their day, and price point they were quite the bargain.
              > Ortho like performance with a 60° field, and little difference perfo
              > rmance/ER wise between FL's. They initially had glare issues which w
              > as cured by offering replacement retainer rings that had a micro gro
              > ove in them. Going from a pretty bad memory here but i think they ar
              > e 5 element with a lens pair out front that is like a barlow but goe
              > s by a different name. I've got the 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7.5mm, and had a
              > 9mm. The 9mm was sent in for warranty repair/replacement never to be
              > seen again... too bad I liked that one. I never liked the mechanics
              > much of the screw-up eyecup but I found the glass nice.
              >
              > Ryan
              >
              > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "dg869500" <cfzepp@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I was wondering if someone could give me some background on the
              > TMB planetary series of eyepieces. I have one that is a 6mm / black
              > barrel and it seems to be a nice eyepiece.
              > >
              > > Thanks, Donnie

            • Roy Ramdeen
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8 9:31 AM
                I am happy to see that this forum is slightly active again. There is a
                lot of TMB'er out here. Tomas Back made some great instruments.

                Roy
                E = mc(2)

                On May 5, 2010, at 4:10 AM, Donnie Garrett <cfzepp@...> wrote:

                > Terry:
                > Thanks for the link to the TMB eyepiece info at burgess optical.
                >
                > Donnie
                >
                > On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Terry Tuggle <tlt284@...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > Donnie,
                > >
                > > Here is what burgess optical says:
                > >
                > > http://www.burgessoptical.com/EPs/Planetary.html
                > >
                > > HTH,
                > >
                > > All the best,
                > >
                > > Terry
                > >
                > > _____
                > >
                > > From: tmboptical@yahoogroups.com <tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com>

              • José E.
                Message 7 of 7 , May 10 5:40 AM
                  Hi All!!!

                  There were two difference series on TMB Planetary Eyepieces. The first got a "silver" barrel. The sides of the EP reads...Burgess / TMB. They ran a first version, were the 6mm got a situation which was solve with a retention ring. Later a second version was up to sale. This was to incorporate the corrections from the previous and to offer a way for those that want to have this first series on a complete set of "silver" barrel.

                  The second series got a "black" barrel and the sides of the EP reads... TMB Optical with a logo on the other side of the barrel, same as the Paragon Series.

                  I got the "silver" barrel series. Still these Planetary Eyepieces could be found on A-mart a very reasonable prices. Also I have seen ads selling a complete set, so you may want to see.

                  Clear Skies!!!

                  Jose