Re: [tmboptical] Digest Number 3475

  • optixwiz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2009
      Has anyone within the group yet tested the new TMB 100 degree AFOV eyepieces?

      These are currently available from Astronomics, on sale, for $269.10, in FLs of 9 mm and 16 mm. These are priced very well, especially in comparison to TV Ethos and Explore Scientifc 100-degree eyepieces.

      These TMB-100s have 8-lens elements in 5-groups, compared to the TV and ES 100s, which have 9-lenses in 5-groups. The TMB 100s have a convex eyelens, compared to the TV and ES which have concave eyelens. The convex eyelens is the most desirable configuration by reason of providing maximum useable eye relief and reduction in Fresnel reflection from last lens surface.

      If these are designed and built with the same expertise as the TMB 40 mm Paragon, which has excellent correction for spherical aberration of the exit pupil, and many other excellent characteristics, then these are very good eyepieces.

      Does anyone know if the late Thomas Back himself designed these?

      Gene