RE: [tmboptical] Reducer/Flattener

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 12, 2009
      Frank,

      Check out Teton Telescopes

      http://www.tetontelescope.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_14_32
      <http://www.tetontelescope.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_14_32&products_id=5
      32> &products_id=532

      This is a Field Flattener that should work; Mark will know for sure.

      HTH

      All the best,

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 28, 2009
        Frank

        I'd like similar advice for a teleconverter/reducer to use with a TMB 100/800 CNC (the silver-grey ooloured focuser version). My limited research has come up with the Borg 7887 (just being replaced by Borg), the Astro-physics 27TVPH, and the Televue RFL-4087. I thought that the William Optics Flattener for the FLT110 and larger, designed by TMB, might be a possible but one user of that flattener says its not compatible. APM suggests that an Astro-physics x.67 might work but I've not been able to determine which model that might be. APM does offers to supply compatible flatteners but they are very expensive.

        So, any advice would be most welcome.

        Thanks,

        Peter Loggie
        Linlithgow, Scotland

      • pmlogg@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2009

          I found your message while seekng options for focal reduction on a TMB 100/800 CNC. In a reply to an email to Markus he mentioned their own flatteners, also shown on the Teton website but they are not reducers. He didn't mention the FF2.0, instead suggesting a x.67 from Astrophysics but I wondered about A-P's 27TVPH. The former owner of my telescope suggested a TV model - the RFL-4087 seems the most appropriate. Then there's the Borg 7887 x.85, out of production pending replacement by a x.78 unit. I'd wondered about the x.8 W.O. TMB designed flattener for the FLT 110 but one owner said it would not be compatible.

          Any suggestions would be very welcome.

          Thanks

          Peter Loggie
          Linlithgow, Scotland

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 3, 2010
            Hi Peter,

            I know most people had success with the TV reducers for the 80mm
            scopes. The new NPR 1073 looks to be a better choice for the 100/800 for
            larger format cameras like the STL’s or the DSLR’s etc.

            http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=169

            HTH,

            All the best,

            --- In tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 3, 2010
              Peter,

              One thing I did not mention is about pixel size; 800mm is the “Sweet
              Spot” for cameras for 9 micron pixels for best detail. So it really depends
              on your camera and what size pixels it has. If it has less than 9 micron
              pixels then a reducer would be a better choice than a FF. Allot of people
              use 500mm or so for the STL’s with 9 micron pixels, but they sacrifice the
              best detail; the images taken with the ST10XME @ 6.8 micron pixels show
              better detail at that focal length.

              All the best,

              "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

              > Frank,
              >
              > Check out Teton Telescopes
              >
              > http://www.tetontel
              <http://www.tetontelescope.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_14_32>
              escope.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_14_32
              > <http://www.tetontel
              <http://www.tetontelescope.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_14_32&products_id=5
              > escope.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_14_32&products_id=5
              > 32> &products_id=532
              >
              > This is a Field Flattener that should work; Mark will know for sure.
              >
              > HTH
              >
              > All the best,
              >
              > Terry
              > _____
              >
              > From: tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
              > i am new to this group as i just became a TMB User a couple of weeks
              > ago. I bought a 80/600 TMB in used but perfect condition. As this was
              > my dream telescope for years i was very proud to call it my own. But
              > after the first light with my canon 350d i was disappointed. I used
              > the Tele Vue REF 3007 Reducer for Instruments of 400-800m focal
              > length. The First Light showed very heavy image field curveture in
              > the edges of the image. After some research i found out that i have
              > to increase the backfocus of my setup up to 56mm. i used some spacers
              > to get there and the second light showed some better results as can
              > be seen here: http://frank-
              > <http://frank- <http://frank-sackenheim.de/html/bilder/Crescent_Final.jpg>
              sackenheim.de/html/bilder/Crescent_Final.jpg>
              > sackenheim.de/html/bilder/Crescent_Final.jpg
              > But there is still some image field curvature in the edges, and as > i'm
              going tu use larger chips in the future im searching for a
              > perfectly working reducer for my scope. Its too bad that TMB doesnt
              > build a Reducer/Flattener for this scopes!
              >
              > I Hope someone could help me cause i dont want to change my scope
              > again to a Takahashi Scope:-)
              >
              > CS and Kind Regards Frank
              > _______________________________________
              > Frank Sackenheim
              > Försterstraße 49
              > 50825 Köln
              > Tel 0221 122121
              > Mobil 0163 3122121
              > frank@frank- <mailto:frank%40frank-sackenheim.de> sackenheim.de
              > www.frank-sackenheim.de
              > www.myspace.com/sackenheim

            • D Baker
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 3, 2010
                The nice thing about the Astrophysics 0.75x reducer/corrector is that it is designed to do its job over a field larger than an APS-sized sensor, and the optics & coatings in it are absolutely first-rate.

                Derek

              • pmlogg@btinternet.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 8, 2010

                  Thanks for that advice. It looks as if reducing, with the 100/800 and my CCD is not a good idea. That neatly fits with SBig's advice regarding use of its AO-8 adaptive optics unit (e.g. too far from reducer to imager). I note that TV lists the NPR1073 as a reducer rather than the reducer/flattener, its description for the RFL-1074. Does the NPR1073 flatten as well as the RFL-1074?.

                  With my Canon DSLR then I'm uncertain. I've looked at the TS 2" field flattener (not reducer) which seems to have enough back focus for the CCD plus AO-8 and is also claimed to be useable with shorter focal lengths (I have a Tak FS-60C too). I see that it has been discussed as an option to use with the TMB 105mm. It would not of course provide reduction - so back to the TV NPR1073/RFL-4087?

                  Thaks

                  Peter
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 19, 2010
                    Peter,

                    You will have to ask them that specifically, It does not say anything
                    on the website about flattening. Again about the AO8, it is not needed at
                    all for scopes of these focal lengths. It only becomes useful for scopes
                    with a FL of 2000mm or more. (C9.25 and up)

                    All the best,

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 26, 2010
                      Hi Terry, All

                      I have been using an AT 2" flattener up until now with the QHY8 for use on my TMB 130SS. I will be taking delivery of a Canon 5D Mark II and I am quite certain I will need to go for a 2.5" or larger FF.

                      I have been coinsidering either the TS Optics 2.5" FF or perhaps the WO 2.5" FF here: http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/TMBflattener_features.php

                      Could you recommend either of the above or any others you know would work for a full frame camera?

                      Thanks and clear Skies

                      Terry Hancock
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryhancock/

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2010
                        Terry,

                        I think I would take a "wait and see" approach. No need of getting
                        something you really do not need; give the 2 inch flattener a whirl and see
                        what happens!

                        HTH,

                        All the best,

                        I have been using an AT 2" flattener up until now with the QHY8 for use on
                        my TMB 130SS. I will be taking delivery of a Canon 5D Mark II and I am quite
                        certain I will need to go for a 2.5" or larger FF.

                        I have been coinsidering either the TS Optics 2.5" FF or perhaps the WO 2.5"
                        FF here: http://www.williamo
                        <http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/TMBflattener_features.php>
                        ptics.com/accessories/TMBflattener_features.php

                        Could you recommend either of the above or any others you know would work
                        for a full frame camera?

                        Thanks and clear Skies

                        Terry Hancock
                        http://www.flickr <http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryhancock/>
                        com/photos/terryhancock/

                        "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                        > Peter,
                        >
                        > You will have to ask them that specifically, It does not say anything
                        > on the website about flattening. Again about the AO8, it is not needed at
                        > all for scopes of these focal lengths. It only becomes useful for scopes
                        > with a FL of 2000mm or more. (C9.25 and up)
                        >

                        > All the best,
                        >
                        > Terry
                        >

                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                        > Thanks for that advice. It looks as if reducing, with the 100/800 and my
                        CCD
                        > is not a good idea. That neatly fits with SBig's advice regarding use of
                        its
                        > AO-8 adaptive optics unit (e.g. too far from reducer to imager). I note
                        that
                        > TV lists the NPR1073 as a reducer rather than the reducer/flattener, its
                        > description for the RFL-1074. Does the NPR1073 flatten as well as the
                        > RFL-1074?.
                        >
                        > With my Canon DSLR then I'm uncertain. I've looked at the TS 2" field
                        > flattener (not reducer) which seems to have enough back focus for the CCD
                        > plus AO-8 and is also claimed to be useable with shorter focal lengths (I
                        > have a Tak FS-60C too). I see that it has been discussed as an option to
                        use
                        > with the TMB 105mm. It would not of course provide reduction - so back to
                        > the TV NPR1073/RFL-4087?
                        >
                        > Thaks
                        >
                        > Peter

                      • Terry Hancock
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 5, 2010
                          Hi Terry

                          Thanks for the response, I wrote that email in January..LOL, not your fault
                          but I guess if I am not mistaken this group has been down since January 20th
                          for some reason?. Anyhow I did take your advice (without knowing your
                          answer) the AT 2" FF works great except close to the edges of the field
                          where there is significant vignetting but by adding flats this is easily
                          cancelled out. This is the only image I have so far
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryhancock/4445984428/ and I didn't add flats
                          or darks!!, I was very happy with the results.

                          I have been playing around with an ATRC8 for the past couple of months, just
                          put the TMB 130 back on the mount yesterday. I am hoping to shoot M31 soon,
                          I will keep you posted.

                          All the best and Clear Skies

                          Terry Hancock

                          http://www.downunderobservatory.com/

                          From: tmboptical@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com>

                          "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                          > Peter,
                          >
                          > You will have to ask them that specifically, It does not say anything
                          > on the website about flattening. Again about the AO8, it is not needed at
                          > all for scopes of these focal lengths. It only becomes useful for scopes
                          > with a FL of 2000mm or more. (C9.25 and up)
                          >

                          > All the best,
                          >
                          > Terry
                          >

                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                          > Thanks for that advice. It looks as if reducing, with the 100/800 and my
                          CCD
                          > is not a good idea. That neatly fits with SBig's advice regarding use of
                          its
                          > AO-8 adaptive optics unit (e.g. too far from reducer to imager). I note
                          that
                          > TV lists the NPR1073 as a reducer rather than the reducer/flattener, its
                          > description for the RFL-1074. Does the NPR1073 flatten as well as the
                          > RFL-1074?.
                          >
                          > With my Canon DSLR then I'm uncertain. I've looked at the TS 2" field
                          > flattener (not reducer) which seems to have enough back focus for the CCD
                          > plus AO-8 and is also claimed to be useable with shorter focal lengths (I
                          > have a Tak FS-60C too). I see that it has been discussed as an option to
                          use
                          > with the TMB 105mm. It would not of course provide reduction - so back to
                          > the TV NPR1073/RFL-4087?
                          >
                          > Thaks
                          >
                          > Peter

                        • galaxyscientific
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 11, 2010
                            Dear Frank,

                            I am using 80/600 also, and test against these flattener / reducers with my Canon 5D Mark II (full frame)

                            - TS optics 2" flattener
                            - TS optics 2.5" flattener
                            - BORG 7887 0.85x reducer / flattener
                            - Sky Watcher ED80 0.85x reducer / flattener
                            - Televue 0.8x reducer / flattener

                            of the above, the TS optics 2" flattener is the best corrected one with stars sharp to the corner. Then for reducer / flattener, the Sky Watchter one is much better than the other 2.

                            The I modify the camera connection from typical T Ring (42mm P0.75) to 48mm version, and the light drop at the corner improve a lot.

                            Regards,
                            Savio Fong
                            Galaxy Scientific Group
                            Hong Kong

                            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Frank Sackenheim GMX <frank.sackenheim@...> wrote:

                            > Hi everyone,
                            >
                            > i am new to this group as i just became a TMB User a couple of weeks
                            > ago. I bought a 80/600 TMB in used but perfect condition. As this was
                            > my dream telescope for years i was very proud to call it my own. But
                            > after the first light with my canon 350d i was disappointed. I used
                            > the Tele Vue REF 3007 Reducer for Instruments of 400-800m focal
                            > length. The First Light showed very heavy image field curveture in
                            > the edges of the image. After some research i found out that i have
                            > to increase the backfocus of my setup up to 56mm. i used some spacers
                            > to get there and the second light showed some better results as can
                            > be seen here: http://frank-sackenheim.de/html/bilder/Crescent_Final.jpg
                            > But there is still some image field curvature in the edges, and as i
                            > ´m going tu use larger chips in the future im searching for a
                            > perfectly working reducer for my scope. Its too bad that TMB doesnt
                            > build a Reducer/Flattener for this scopes!
                            >
                            > I Hope someone could help me cause i dont want to change my scope
                            > again to a Takahashi Scope:-)
                            >
                            > CS and Kind Regards Frank
                            >
                            > _______________________________________
                            > Frank Sackenheim
                            > Försterstraße 49
                            > 50825 Köln
                            > Tel 0221 122121
                            > Mobil 0163 3122121
                            > frank@...
                            > www.frank-sackenheim.de
                            > www.myspace.com/sackenheim

                          • Frank Sackenheim GMX
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 12, 2010
                              Hi Savio

                              meanwhile Markus Ludes told me to try the Skywatcer 0.85. Well after a
                              first test i think its the best result i�ver ever got. I will test it
                              again as soon as the weather conditions allow to do so. But i think
                              full frame is the largest chip, i dont believe it would fit with a
                              11000 chip.

                              I cant really follow you about the modification, you did what? And how
                              did it aprove your pictures?

                              Cheers Frank

                              _______________________________________
                              Frank Sackenheim
                              F�rsterstra�e 49
                              50825 K�ln
                              Tel 0221 122121
                              Mobil 0163 3122121
                              frank@...
                              www.frank-sackenheim.de
                              www.myspace.com/sackenheim

                            • Savio Fong
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 14, 2010
                                Dear Frank,

                                this is how we do indoor test (the thread show how we test a Sky Watcher
                                Equinox 80), the merit of Sky Watcher is the camera connect is M48,
                                bigger than T2 and improve vignetting, my own corridor is longer than
                                here, at 25m there may be tiny bit of spherical abberation left, but
                                usually a good indicator of the performance under real sky test, i.e.,
                                if it perform poor under indoor test, we don't test it under real sky,
                                if it perform good then usually the real sky test won't be bad.

                                I made a custom adaptor to connect the flattener to a Borg 2" tube,
                                http://www.astrocafe.hk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=243&p=1785&hilit=skywatcher+0.85x#p1785

                                This is a real setup of my APM-LOMO 80/600 with TS2 zero power
                                flattener, I used a Sky Watcher 48mm camera connect to minimize the
                                vignetting, at 100% crop of centre and 4 corners, all stars are sharp to
                                the corner of Canon 5D Mark II with 135 full frame and 6.4um pixel, so
                                you expect it 40% sharper with 9um pixel from STL11000M.

                                http://www.astrocafe.hk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=333

                                Only the lower left is a bit off focus due to my poor adaptor made, now fixed.

                                this is a earlier NGC7000 made under very poor transparency sky, the vignetting is noticeable using M42 T ring, now much improved with M48 camera connect.
                                http://www.astrocafe.hk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=302&p=2595&hilit=NGC7000#p2595

                                a side discussion, this is my Jupiter through my own APM-TMB 203 APO, you can see the transit of Ganymede with surface mark visible.
                                http://www.astrocafe.hk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43

                                regards,
                                Savio