Feather Touch focuser for a TMB 115 f/7 CNC Silver

  • Anthony Dente
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 10, 2009
      Hi everyone:

      Need help in attaching a Feather Touch Focuser on my "old" TMB 115 f/7 CNC silver model.
      I E-mailed TMB about this and since Thomas Back passing away, no specifications on this
      model are known.

      Is it worth the upgrade?

      Has anyone done this with a silver 115 f/7 CNC?

      Anthony Dente
    • Anthony Dente
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2009
        Hi:

        Have a TMB 115 f/7 silver cnc, (old version).
        Talked to TMB, and because of Back`s death, had no information on the old design with
        the Feather Touch Focuser.
        Has anyone with an old 115 f/7 silver cnc put on a feather Touch Focuser?

        Is it any good?

        Anthony
      • mrgrytt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2009
          Why would you consider the Feathertouch to be an "upgrade". They went to the present configuration because it was cheaper. The original German focusers are excellent but were too costly.
          Are you familiar with how to adjust them? Are you having a problem with it?

          Harvey

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2009
            Anthony,

            If it is the 10 to focus knob you are interested in, here is what I did
            with a Tak knob instillation:

            Reference message nr. 732739

            Here is an article I put together on Tom's request which included some of
            his instructions also:

            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wHduSg1XbH7Rn1EjK2IyNetrW_v0ByC1gLsXMDsrrmeTF8t
            077ECxFKRAx_tF4x4xg_1IcxdpYmftO636Y3DEJ0WDYrI9ENx05bJPAoWxaJhtQ/CNCfocuserAd
            justments.pdf or http://tinyurl.com/mp96bs

            This is dealing with adjustments on the focuser.

            HTH,

            All the best,

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2009
              Hi Harvey,
              How familiar are you with adjusting the original focuser, I may need to adjust mine. I know there was a PDF on focuser adjustment floating around a few years ago, I will see if I backed it up somewhere.
              Roy..

              > to be an "upgrade".  They went to the present configuration
              > because it was cheaper.  The original German focusers are
              > excellent but were too costly.
              >      Are you familiar with how to adjust
              > them?  Are you having a problem with it?
              >
              > Harvey
              >

              > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Dente"
              > <vacdente@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi everyone:
              > >
              > > Need help in attaching a Feather Touch Focuser on my "old" TMB
              > 115 f/7 CNC silver model.
              > > I E-mailed TMB about this and since Thomas Back passing away,
              > no specifications on this
              > > model are known.
              > >
              > > Is it worth the upgrade?
              > >
              > > Has anyone done this with a silver 115 f/7 CNC?
              > >
              > > Anthony Dente

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 30, 2009
                Hi Anthony

                I have the 115 classic CNC with a 2" feathertouch in back of the 3" focuser.

                I don't think it's "necessary", but it was a worthwhile upgrade, in part because I like the fine focus control of the 10:1 knob and in part because with the two focusers I have about 5" of adjustment so I can switch between any eyepieces with or without the TMB barlow without having to change the extension.

                I ordered mine direct from Starlight and Werner knew what adapter I'd need so it would screw right onto the back of the extension. I doubt it took me five minutes and I was taking my time.

                If I was going to do it today, I'd see if they could adapt one of the larger feathertouches (2.5") with a rack and pinion instead of the 2" one because the 2" crayford feathertouch does strain a little to handle the weight of my camera. (St2000xm)

                I hope you're enjoying your 115 as much as I enjoy mine. It has the nicest optics of any scope I've ever owned.

                Regards,

                Mark

                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Dente" <vacdente@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone:
                >
                > Need help in attaching a Feather Touch Focuser on my "old" TMB 115 f/7 CNC silver model.
                > I E-mailed TMB about this and since Thomas Back passing away, no specifications on this
                > model are known.
                >
                > Is it worth the upgrade?
                >
                > Has anyone done this with a silver 115 f/7 CNC?
                >
                > Anthony Dente

              • varsikuono
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
                  Hi Terry,

                  Nice pictures of the Tak fine focuser. I have not been able use the two other links you included in yr answer. Could you kindly check if those are still valid and if needed update the links.

                  Many thank in advance!

                  Raimo

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 11, 2009
                    Raimo,

                    It is further down in the files section; look for "CNCfocuser
                    Adjustments. There is a Word document and a PDF.

                    All the best,

                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,
                    "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                    > Anthony,
                    >
                    > If it is the 10 to focus knob you are interested in, here is what I did
                    > with a Tak knob instillation:
                    >
                    > http://tech.
                    groups.yahoo.com/group/tmboptical/files/Tak%20Micro%20Focuser/

                    > Reference message nr. 732739
                    >
                    > Here is an article I put together on Tom's request which included some of
                    > his instructions also:
                    >
                    > http://f1.grp.
                    <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wHduSg1XbH7Rn1EjK2IyNetrW_v0ByC1gLsXMDsrrmeTF8
                    t> yahoofs.com/v1/wHduSg1XbH7Rn1EjK2IyNetrW_v0ByC1gLsXMDsrrmeTF8t