RE: [tmboptical] Re: FYI

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2008
      STU,

      I agree they are as of yet unproven in the field. But the harmonic
      drive technology is well established in other applications and sounds like
      the best of all possible solutions for accuracy/backlash control. And for
      that kind of accuracy/load capacity for the price, if I was in the market, I
      would be willing to buy.

      On your other question, I do not have any idea about the Max mount.
      With a GM-200, you could probably upgrade it with a Go-To system. Joe at
      Parallax has AP GTO systems available on his HD150C mounts and up. He might
      be willing to install one on your mount.

      http://www.parallaxinstruments.com/mount.htm

      BTW: I would give these mounts a hard look if you decide to upgrade to
      AP1200 or Paramount. With the Byers gears, these Parallax mounts have
      accuracy like the Paramount, and are well proven in the field. Tim has a
      Parallax HD250C for his nine inch TMB.

      Terry

      http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 30, 2008
        Terry,

        My GM-200 has a tangent arm on the dec axis, so GOTO isn't in the
        cards.

        I work 50-60 hours a week, my wife about 70, and we have a 2 year old.

        I have very little free time, so I don't want to spend it tinkering
        with new technology.

        I have all SBIG CCD cameras. Why? Because they use mature technology.
        You buy SBIG, install the drivers as per the well written
        instructions, and you image.

        FLI cameras may cool better, but to have to figure out different
        drivers for their focusers and filter wheels, I'll take a little
        lower QE and a little less cooling and stick with SBIG.

        I realize that high end equipment is produced in low volume, but you
        shouldn't need to be on the phone with the manufacturer every day to
        get it working.

        Where is the website with 200-300 images taken with the harmonic
        drive mounted scopes?

        The manufacturers should establish a yahoo group showing the prowness
        of their product, if they are that good.

        The harmonic drives may be great for the auto industry, but where are
        all the astrophotos taken with them?

        Believe me, I want to see them work, but my hard earned $$$ are
        staying with me until I see a mature product that works out of the
        Box.

        Remember the MEADE RCX scopes?

        Glowing review in Sky & Tel before they shipped.

        From Flagship product to expensive doorstops in 6 months.

        STU, the cynic

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 30, 2008
          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "sforster12" <SHFORSTER1@...> wrote:

          > Terry,
          >
          > Rather than ads or hype, I'd like to see some units that are not beta
          > units in the hands of consumers.

          Stu

          I am by nature an early adopter. I also understand your reluctance to be "first", but
          someone has to be in that role. AP and Bisque didn't start selling the 100th unit they
          made.

          Back in 1978 I had a custom 14.25" Cass made for me by a shop in Hayward, CA. The only
          "real" quality small production mounts back then were the Byers. A local guy, Tom Mathis,
          was getting his gear hogging business off the ground and as a sideline was starting to
          make telescope mounts.

          i bought the 4th mount he made. It was a fork mount (MI-500 equivalent), 110v Sync
          motor, with a sector drive on the DEC axis. It also cost ~$3,000 in 1978: but I looked at
          the risk and decided it was a better bet than the ~$5,000 for the Byers.

          I wish I still had that mount. I could have put a Bisque MKS4000 system on the mount and
          had a research class mount for a lot less money than the replacement cost of a
          Paramount.

          It is okay to be timid with your discretionary dollars. If the product you passed on is a
          flop, then you made a wise decision. If it is a success, like the Paramount (I have one), the
          AP1200 or the MI series, then you kick yourself in the butt. At some point you end up
          realizing the bruising you are taking isn't worth your reluctance to step out front.

          Michael in San Jose
          Ross Creek Observatory
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 8, 2008
            STU,

            That is fine, I was just passing along this mount as a heads-up, "if
            interested" type of post.

            Obviously you are not, and that's ok too. I saw it as an opportunity to
            inform allot of the people that can't afford to pay the big bucks for the
            top of the line well established equipment, but still have a desire to
            image.

[...]

            From Flagship product to expensive doorstops in 6 months.

            STU, the cynic