Re: Field flattener for TMB115

  • Gordon Haynes
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
      Hi
      I also have a TMB 115 f7 like yourself and I went straight for the TMB
      matched field flattener and I would recommend that you do the same. If
      you get in touch with Markus at APM he will advise on the correct
      adapters for it to work correctly with your camera
      Best wishes
      Gordon

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "patriot_lin" <patriot601@...> wrote:

      > I had a TMB115/f7,and wanna a field flattener.I bought a TV RFL-
      > 4087,but it seem not good for TMB115.Anybody give me a advice,which one
      > adapt to TMB115 except the one of TMB.
      > tks

    • Dave Adshead
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
        Hi,

        I would like to jump in here and ask a question about this field
        flattener, if I get one for the telescope I've got on order, and I
        have it adapted for my DSLR. Will I be able to fit a 2" light
        pollution filter inside the adapter?

        Dave

        On 5 Aug 2008, at 14:58, Terry Tuggle wrote:

        You could try the William Optics flattener made for their FTL110; it
        is a F7
        scope. My best advice is to get the one from TMB; I know it is
        expensive,
        but it was designed specifically for your scope. The adapters are
        specifically made for your camera. Why not go with a proven product,
        rather
        than taking a chance with something that may work; after you have an
        adapter
        made for your camera. They have adapters for a DSLR and a STL 11k. After
        looking at them; the way they are reduced; if they do not have a baffle
        inside that cone reduction, it will cause reflected light to bounce
        across
        the light path.

        Terry

        http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/

        _____

        I had a TMB115/f7,and wanna a field flattener.I bought a TV RFL-
        4087,but it seem not good for TMB115.Anybody give me a advice,which one
        adapt to TMB115 except the one of TMB.
        tks

        Clear skies and best wishes,
        Dave

        http://donastro.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
          Hi Dave,

          I can't answer that question, but the last thing you need with a DSLR,
          is a light pollution filter; they cut the S/N in half. DSLR already has low
          sensitivity because of the Bayer matrix.

          Most of the people on the SBIG group using one shot color ccd's are going
          for at least 30 minute sub-exposures. For good S/N you will need at least
          four hours total exposure time. If you try to use a light pollution filter,
          double all of those figures. I am not saying you can't get an image in an
          hour or so, but it will be faint compared to an image taken with a ccd.

          From: tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
          I had a TMB115/f7,and wanna a field flattener.I bought a TV RFL-
          4087,but it seem not good for TMB115.Anybody give me a advice,which one
          adapt to TMB115 except the one of TMB.
          tks

          Clear skies and best wishes,
          Dave

          http://donastro. <http://donastro.blogspot.com/> blogspot.com/

        • Gordon Haynes
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
            Hi
            All I know is that from communication from Markus at APM is that the
            distance from the flattener to the sensor chip of the camera is
            criticical and there is only a +/- 1mm tolerance, anything outside
            that and the flattener will not function properly, if you put a filter
            somewhere between the flattener and the camera and it increases the
            distance outside this tolerance zone then the flattener won't function
            properly. The way I went about it was to get Precise parts to make me
            adapters so that I could put my FLI filter wheel between the flattener
            and the H36 camera ensuring that the distance between flattener and
            ccd chip was still within the tolerance zone. The downside to this is
            that if I want to change camera or put in an electric focuser such as
            my FLI PDF (not needed with the TMB 115 as the manual focuser is so
            good) then I will have to get new adapters made to maintain the
            critical distance. If you send Markus an email at APM he will be able
            to explain this to you more clearly than me and will also provide you
            with the schematics that show all the correct distances
            Regards
            Gordon