RE: [tmboptical] Field flattener for TMB115

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
      You could try the William Optics flattener made for their FTL110; it is a F7
      scope. My best advice is to get the one from TMB; I know it is expensive,
      but it was designed specifically for your scope. The adapters are
      specifically made for your camera. Why not go with a proven product, rather
      than taking a chance with something that may work; after you have an adapter
      made for your camera. They have adapters for a DSLR and a STL 11k. After
      looking at them; the way they are reduced; if they do not have a baffle
      inside that cone reduction, it will cause reflected light to bounce across
      the light path.

      Terry

      http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
        Hi
        I also have a TMB 115 f7 like yourself and I went straight for the TMB
        matched field flattener and I would recommend that you do the same. If
        you get in touch with Markus at APM he will advise on the correct
        adapters for it to work correctly with your camera
        Best wishes
        Gordon

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "patriot_lin" <patriot601@...> wrote:

        > I had a TMB115/f7,and wanna a field flattener.I bought a TV RFL-
        > 4087,but it seem not good for TMB115.Anybody give me a advice,which one
        > adapt to TMB115 except the one of TMB.
        > tks

      • Dave Adshead
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
          Hi,

          I would like to jump in here and ask a question about this field
          flattener, if I get one for the telescope I've got on order, and I
          have it adapted for my DSLR. Will I be able to fit a 2" light
          pollution filter inside the adapter?

          Dave

          On 5 Aug 2008, at 14:58, Terry Tuggle wrote:

[...]

          Clear skies and best wishes,
          Dave

          http://donastro.blogspot.com/

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
            Hi Dave,

            I can't answer that question, but the last thing you need with a DSLR,
            is a light pollution filter; they cut the S/N in half. DSLR already has low
            sensitivity because of the Bayer matrix.

            Most of the people on the SBIG group using one shot color ccd's are going
            for at least 30 minute sub-exposures. For good S/N you will need at least
            four hours total exposure time. If you try to use a light pollution filter,
            double all of those figures. I am not saying you can't get an image in an
            hour or so, but it will be faint compared to an image taken with a ccd.

            From: tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
            I had a TMB115/f7,and wanna a field flattener.I bought a TV RFL-
            4087,but it seem not good for TMB115.Anybody give me a advice,which one
            adapt to TMB115 except the one of TMB.
            tks

            Clear skies and best wishes,
            Dave

            http://donastro. <http://donastro.blogspot.com/> blogspot.com/

          • Gordon Haynes
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
              Hi
              All I know is that from communication from Markus at APM is that the
              distance from the flattener to the sensor chip of the camera is
              criticical and there is only a +/- 1mm tolerance, anything outside
              that and the flattener will not function properly, if you put a filter
              somewhere between the flattener and the camera and it increases the
              distance outside this tolerance zone then the flattener won't function
              properly. The way I went about it was to get Precise parts to make me
              adapters so that I could put my FLI filter wheel between the flattener
              and the H36 camera ensuring that the distance between flattener and
              ccd chip was still within the tolerance zone. The downside to this is
              that if I want to change camera or put in an electric focuser such as
              my FLI PDF (not needed with the TMB 115 as the manual focuser is so
              good) then I will have to get new adapters made to maintain the
              critical distance. If you send Markus an email at APM he will be able
              to explain this to you more clearly than me and will also provide you
              with the schematics that show all the correct distances
              Regards
              Gordon