Astronomy Technology Today (OT)

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hey Everyone,

      I just renewed my Subscription to Astronomy Technology Today, and
      thought this is the best magazine that has come in a long time for Amateur
      Astronomers.

      It has been published for about a year. Anyway I thought it was worth
      sharing with the groups, just in case they are unaware of this new Magizine.

      https://www.astronomytechnologytoday.com/?page=73

      Take a look!

      Terry

      http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/

    • Gregg Swanson
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
        Ok, I am going to be impolite and second the motion. It is worth spending a few bucks on.

        Gregg

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
          Terry Tuggle wrote:
          > Hey Everyone,
          >
          > I just renewed my Subscription to Astronomy Technology Today, and
          > thought this is the best magazine that has come in a long time for Amateur
          > Astronomers.

          WG: Good call Terry. I never was much of a fan of Astronomy, and I
          left S+T after reading the reviews of Tom's telescope and Supermono
          eyepieces which I greatly disagreed with, on top of what I felt was a
          magazine in decline already, when compared to the format of the '60's,
          '70's and '80's.

          This new magazine has a lot of fresh faces and has some people on staff
          that I know as well. A welcome change. I've ordered two years + all
          back issues.

          Thanks for the tip. It will be nice to get an astro magazine again,

          WayneG
        • Paul Gustafson
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
            I received the first few issues and found it to be mostly advertising
            and articles that seemed little more than thinly veiled adverts similar
            to S&T's "What's New" section. Nothing substantive. Has it improved?

            Paul Gustafson
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
              Paul,

              It has got better the last few issues. I like it better than S&T and
              Astronomy. It has more articles for amateurs and not all the "Professional
              Articles" that the others have.

              _____

            • rpbrpbrpb1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
                In a message dated 8/2/2008 8:30:54 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                laservet@... writes:

                I received the first few issues and found it to be mostly advertising
                and articles that seemed little more than thinly veiled adverts similar
                to S&T's "What's New" section. Nothing substantive. Has it improved?

                Paul Gustafson

                I didn't want to say anything, but no it has not improved any. Maybe worse.

                If you go to the link where you can subscribe there is a sample copy you can
                read and decide for yourself. I'm certainly not trying to say "don't buy the
                magazine".

                I do think it's possible that some people might enjoy all the ads, but don't
                expect too much more.

                Robert

                Read reviews on AOL Autos.

              • sforster12
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
                  I've been getting it since it was released.

                  Yes, it seems like mostly ads for products, but I love to see what's
                  coming onto the market.

                  What I didn't like in the past was the lack of prices for items
                  reviewed, which seems to have been resolved.

                  Th price is right , but I consider it a trade magazine, more than a
                  true astonomy product.

                  I jut rrenewde my subscription, as I think it does seea useful
                  purpose.

                  STU

                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                  > Paul,
                  >
                  > It has got better the last few issues. I like it better than
                  S&T and
                  > Astronomy. It has more articles for amateurs and not all
                  the "Professional
                  > Articles" that the others have.
                  >

                  > Terry
                  >
                  > http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/
                  >
                  > _____

                • Wayne G
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2008
                    Terry Tuggle wrote:
                    > Paul,
                    >
                    > It has got better the last few issues. I like it better than S&T and
                    > Astronomy. It has more articles for amateurs and not all the "Professional
                    > Articles" that the others have.
                    >

                    > Terry

                    WG: I sure hope so Terry, I just sunk fifty bucks into a subscription
                    based on your recommendation! ;-)

                    But actually, as someone who designs, builds, repairs, and modifies a
                    lot of telescope stuff, I AM more interested in the products, new ads,
                    etc., themselves, rather than reading a lot about discoveries, science
                    editorials, someone else's observations (like anyone will ever replace
                    "Scotty"), how to find things in the sky, etc., I either already know
                    that stuff or get that sort of info elsewhere.

                    WayneG
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
                      I agree, there are allot of ads; but the articles is mostly about amateur
                      equipment reviews. It is more like a trade magazine, but that is what I like
                      about it.

                      Let's face it, it was interesting to read about what the professionals are
                      discovering the first couple of years, while you are on the learning curve
                      of Astronomy but what the professionals do is a long way from what the
                      amateurs do. This magazine really gets down to the nuts and bolts of amateur
                      astronomy. And let's face it; advertising is a fact of life; they have to
                      earn money to publish.

                      --- In tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,
                      "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                      > Paul,
                      >
                      > It has got better the last few issues. I like it better than
                      S&T and
                      > Astronomy. It has more articles for amateurs and not all
                      the "Professional
                      > Articles" that the others have.
                      >

                      > Terry
                      >
                      > http://www.geocitie
                      <http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/>
                      s.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/

                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                      > I received the first few issues and found it to be mostly
                      advertising
                      > and articles that seemed little more than thinly veiled adverts
                      similar
                      > to S&T's "What's New" section. Nothing substantive. Has it improved?
                      >
                      > Paul Gustafson

                    • Wolfgang Heinemann-Reiff
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
                        Hi Terry,
                        today I subscribed to ATT, but although I did everything recommended in
                        their FAQ, I can¹t log in.
                        The below is what I¹m getting back when trying to log in.

                        Do you have access to it at any time of the day ??

                        CS
                        Wolfgang

                        Am 03.08.2008 10:12 Uhr schrieb "Terry Tuggle" unter <tlt284@...>:

                        > I agree, there are allot of ads; but the articles is mostly about amateur
                        > equipment reviews. It is more like a trade magazine, but that is what I like
                        > about it.
                        >
                        > Let's face it, it was interesting to read about what the professionals are
                        > discovering the first couple of years, while you are on the learning curve
                        > of Astronomy but what the professionals do is a long way from what the
                        > amateurs do. This magazine really gets down to the nuts and bolts of amateur
                        > astronomy. And let's face it; advertising is a fact of life; they have to
                        > earn money to publish.
                        >
                        > Terry
                        >
                        > http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/
                        >
                        > _____

                      • Paul Gustafson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
                          rpbrpbrpb1@... wrote:
                          > I didn't want to say anything, but no it has not improved any.
                          Maybe worse.

                          > If you go to the link where you can subscribe there is a sample
                          copy you can
                          > read and decide for yourself. I'm certainly not trying to
                          say "don't buy the
                          > magazine".
                          >
                          > I do think it's possible that some people might enjoy all the ads,
                          but don't
                          > expect too much more.
                          >
                          > Robert

                          Thanks. I went to the site and read the recent sample issue and it
                          was all advertising fluff. Articles written by dealers who sell the
                          product, hardly an improvement over the mainstream mags.

                          Paul Gustafson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
                            Hi Paul,

                            I had an article downloaded from ATT because someone in my club asked
                            where he could get his mirror re-coated; I thought of the article written in
                            ATT right away... It is in my opinion the best article I have ever read on
                            the subject and perhaps the best article so far in the mag. I would hardly
                            call this "Vendor Fluff" and was the main reason I renewed. If there is only
                            one article per year that is this informative, to me it is worth the $1.50
                            per issue (ads included) <g>. Of course all are entitled to their own
                            opinions. I uploaded it into to the files section for all to read, not so
                            much as to prove a point, but to share some good information with the group,
                            although off topic. I am going to leave this discussion at this point, not
                            wanting to beat a dead horse! VBG

                            Let's get back on topic! I am ready for someone to post an image! LOL

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
                              >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                              Hi Terry,

                              Thanks for pointing this magazine out. The article was excellent
                              and the OMI folks are very helpful and friendly. It is interesting
                              to see what our equipment makers are thinking and developing next
                              and this mag seems to offer the venue for this. I think this type
                              of magazine fills a missing niche so I will be subscribing. Others
                              may choose not to - so be it. I find Astronomy magazine a really
                              good read also.

                              Best,

                              Tim

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
                                Wolfgang,

                                Since you just subscribed, it may take a day or so, it is Sunday! VBG
                                If not tomorrow, then I would use the “Contact Us” form. I had trouble with
                                my subscription; for some reason some of the accounts were disabled. I
                                contacted them and got a reply the next night.

                                Am 03.08.2008 10:12 Uhr schrieb "Terry Tuggle" unter <tlt284@valornet.
                                <mailto:tlt284%40valornet.com> com>:

                                > I agree, there are allot of ads; but the articles is mostly about amateur
                                > equipment reviews. It is more like a trade magazine, but that is what I
                                like
                                > about it.
                                >
                                > Let's face it, it was interesting to read about what the professionals are
                                > discovering the first couple of years, while you are on the learning curve
                                > of Astronomy but what the professionals do is a long way from what the
                                > amateurs do. This magazine really gets down to the nuts and bolts of
                                amateur
                                > astronomy. And let's face it; advertising is a fact of life; they have to
                                > earn money to publish.
                                >
                                > Terry
                                >
                                > http://www.geocitie
                                <http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/>
                                s.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/

                                > _____
                                >
                                > From: tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                                <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com>

                              • Wolfgang Heinemann-Reiff
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
                                  Hi Terry,
                                  meanwhile I have access.
                                  The delay was caused by Pay pal confirmation.
                                  However, I was just overeager to have access and forgot indeed that it was
                                  Sunday!

                                  Wolfgang