Re: TMB 80 -- good choice?

  • Mike Siniscalchi
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 16, 2008
      I'm on the TMB80SS waiting list since last Sept and no deliver date
      in sight. I've been busy at work so no time for astro work so I haven't
      been persuing it. But if the OTA isn't in when I do have time I'm
      giving up and going to look at the Tak Sky80. Yes, they are doublets
      but still produce great images as many ED doublets do these days.

      Regards,
      Mike Siniscalchi

      http://www.helixgate.net

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "spraudp" <pieters@...> wrote:

      > All,
      > I'm getting organized (saving my pennies) to get an 80 mm refractor
      > to piggyback on my Meade LX-90. The TMB 80 has caught my eye, while
      > I'm also looking at scopes from William Optical, Astro-Tech and Meade.
      > Can't seem to find any reviews of the TMB 80. Goals are some visual,
      > some guiding, some astrophotography through the 80 mm with a Nikon
      D70.

      > Can you help me out? Point me to reviews, or tell me from own
      > experience that the TMB 80 is great or not so great for my purposes?
      >
      > Clear Skies,
      > Pieter
      >
      > PS Can't go larger for financial reasons and concerns about
      > overloading the mount on my LX-90.

    • Wayne G
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "spraudp" <pieters@...> wrote:
        >
        >> All,
        >> I'm getting organized (saving my pennies) to get an 80 mm refractor
        >> to piggyback on my Meade LX-90. The TMB 80 has caught my eye, while
        >> I'm also looking at scopes from William Optical, Astro-Tech and Meade.
        >> Can't seem to find any reviews of the TMB 80. Goals are some visual,
        >> some guiding, some astrophotography through the 80 mm with a Nikon D70.
        >> Can you help me out? Point me to reviews, or tell me from own
        >> experience that the TMB 80 is great or not so great for my purposes?
        >>
        >> Clear Skies,
        >> Pieter
        >>
        >> PS Can't go larger for financial reasons and concerns about
        >> overloading the mount on my LX-90.

        WG: Pieter, visit Dominick Dierick's home page,
        http://www.astronomie.be/dodi/astro/2006/ilog.html for the one person I
        feel has more authority on the merits of the 80mm TMB than anyone else I
        have ever known, also search this group's archives here for the many
        reports and accolades from Dodi over the years on the only scope I know
        of he ever sold, was sorry he got rid of and then bought another!

        Dodi has taken many fantastic pictures with this scope.

        But I wonder, why keep the LX-90 when with the TMB80, I cannot imagine
        anything the latter can't do that the former can?

        Regards,

        WayneG
      • spraudp
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
          Wayne,
          Thanks for the information. Looks good to me! Why keep the LX-90?
          Well, guiding with one, imaging with the other -- using the LX-90's
          mount and software and the permanent pier it's mounted on in my Skypod
          observatory -- and who knows? Have been an amateur astronomer (accent
          on the "amateur") since I was a little guy, but I never had much time
          to devote to it until recently. So I still have lots to learn.

          Regards,
          Pieter

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Wayne G <fomalhaut@...> wrote:

          > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "spraudp" <pieters@> wrote:
          > >
          > >> All,
          > >> I'm getting organized (saving my pennies) to get an 80 mm refractor
          > >> to piggyback on my Meade LX-90. The TMB 80 has caught my eye, while
          > >> I'm also looking at scopes from William Optical, Astro-Tech and
          Meade.
          > >> Can't seem to find any reviews of the TMB 80. Goals are some visual,
          > >> some guiding, some astrophotography through the 80 mm with a
          Nikon D70.
          > >> Can you help me out? Point me to reviews, or tell me from own
          > >> experience that the TMB 80 is great or not so great for my purposes?
          > >>
          > >> Clear Skies,
          > >> Pieter
          > >>
          > >> PS Can't go larger for financial reasons and concerns about
          > >> overloading the mount on my LX-90.
          > >>

          > WG: Pieter, visit Dominick Dierick's home page,
          > http://www.astronomie.be/dodi/astro/2006/ilog.html for the one
          person I
          > feel has more authority on the merits of the 80mm TMB than anyone
          else I
          > have ever known, also search this group's archives here for the many
          > reports and accolades from Dodi over the years on the only scope I know
          > of he ever sold, was sorry he got rid of and then bought another!
          >
          > Dodi has taken many fantastic pictures with this scope.
          >
          > But I wonder, why keep the LX-90 when with the TMB80, I cannot imagine
          > anything the latter can't do that the former can?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > WayneG

        • spraudp
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
            Mike,
            Thanks -- guess I'd better get in line!

            Regards,
            Pieter

            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi" <helixgate@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm on the TMB80SS waiting list since last Sept and no deliver date
            > in sight. I've been busy at work so no time for astro work so I haven't
            > been persuing it. But if the OTA isn't in when I do have time I'm
            > giving up and going to look at the Tak Sky80. Yes, they are doublets
            > but still produce great images as many ED doublets do these days.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Mike Siniscalchi
            >
            > http://www.helixgate.net
            >
            > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "spraudp" <pieters@> wrote:
            > >
            > > All,
            > > I'm getting organized (saving my pennies) to get an 80 mm refractor
            > > to piggyback on my Meade LX-90. The TMB 80 has caught my eye, while
            > > I'm also looking at scopes from William Optical, Astro-Tech and Meade.
            > > Can't seem to find any reviews of the TMB 80. Goals are some visual,
            > > some guiding, some astrophotography through the 80 mm with a Nikon
            > D70.
            > >
            > > Can you help me out? Point me to reviews, or tell me from own
            > > experience that the TMB 80 is great or not so great for my purposes?
            > >
            > > Clear Skies,
            > > Pieter
            > >
            > > PS Can't go larger for financial reasons and concerns about
            > > overloading the mount on my LX-90.

          • Mark Rieck
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
              Wayne,
              I believe the topic is the TMB SS, not the LOMO 80's. There are a lot
              of folks being told, "just a little while longer" repeatedly
              regarding delivery of the SS products. No further comment.

              Mike, if you're considering a Sky90, I have one taken in on trade.

              Mark
              Teton Telescope

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Wayne G <fomalhaut@...> wrote:

              > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "spraudp" <pieters@> wrote:
              > >
              > >> All,
              > >> I'm getting organized (saving my pennies) to get an 80 mm
              refractor
              > >> to piggyback on my Meade LX-90. The TMB 80 has caught my eye,
              while
              > >> I'm also looking at scopes from William Optical, Astro-Tech and
              Meade.
              > >> Can't seem to find any reviews of the TMB 80. Goals are some
              visual,
              > >> some guiding, some astrophotography through the 80 mm with a
              Nikon D70.
              > >> Can you help me out? Point me to reviews, or tell me from own
              > >> experience that the TMB 80 is great or not so great for my
              purposes?

              > >> Clear Skies,
              > >> Pieter
              > >>
              > >> PS Can't go larger for financial reasons and concerns about
              > >> overloading the mount on my LX-90.
              > >>

              > WG: Pieter, visit Dominick Dierick's home page,
              > http://www.astronomie.be/dodi/astro/2006/ilog.html for the one
              person I
              > feel has more authority on the merits of the 80mm TMB than anyone
              else I
              > have ever known, also search this group's archives here for the
              many
              > reports and accolades from Dodi over the years on the only scope I
              know
              > of he ever sold, was sorry he got rid of and then bought another!
              >
              > Dodi has taken many fantastic pictures with this scope.
              >
              > But I wonder, why keep the LX-90 when with the TMB80, I cannot
              imagine
              > anything the latter can't do that the former can?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > WayneG

            • spraudp
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 17, 2008
                Yes, the topic is the TMB Signature series 80 mm.

                Regards,
                Pieter
                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Rieck" <derklaus@...> wrote:

                > Wayne,
                > I believe the topic is the TMB SS, not the LOMO 80's. There are a lot
                > of folks being told, "just a little while longer" repeatedly
                > regarding delivery of the SS products. No further comment.
                >
                > Mike, if you're considering a Sky90, I have one taken in on trade.
                >
                > Mark
                > Teton Telescope
                >
                > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Wayne G <fomalhaut@> wrote:

                > refractor
                > while
                > Meade.
                > visual,
                > Nikon D70.
                > purposes?

                > > WG: Pieter, visit Dominick Dierick's home page,
                > > http://www.astronomie.be/dodi/astro/2006/ilog.html for the one
                > person I
                > > feel has more authority on the merits of the 80mm TMB than anyone
                > else I
                > > have ever known, also search this group's archives here for the
                > many
                > > reports and accolades from Dodi over the years on the only scope I
                > know
                > > of he ever sold, was sorry he got rid of and then bought another!
                > >
                > > Dodi has taken many fantastic pictures with this scope.
                > >
                > > But I wonder, why keep the LX-90 when with the TMB80, I cannot
                > imagine
                > > anything the latter can't do that the former can?
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > WayneG

              • Wayne G
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                  Mark Rieck wrote:
                  > Wayne,
                  > I believe the topic is the TMB SS, not the LOMO 80's.

                  WG: Mark, I did not see that distinction in the post, it said TMB, not
                  TMB SS, and I don't think the SS 80mm has hit the streets yet.

                  The LOMO TMB 80 is, in my experience, the best 80mm ever made. The many
                  pictures Dodi provided over the years boggled the imagination of us all
                  to see (including Tom himself many times, who designed it).

                  As I know Dodi would not accept anything less than the very best both
                  mechanically and optically, which his pictures bear out quite well, if I
                  was in the market for that size scope and could get one (I assume they
                  are still being made), it would be a no-brainer to get one which has
                  such a long proven credential.

                  If Dodi isn't on the group right now to add further, I would seek him
                  out (through his website) for added comment on his experiences with this
                  incredible telescope. IMO, it has broken the barriers on just what an
                  80mm can really do!

                  WayneG
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 18, 2008
                    >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Wayne G <fomalhaut@...> wrote:

                    Wayne,

                    I second your comments on the lomo 80 and Dodi's images. He is the
                    benchmark in 80mm (and 152 territory)

                    Tim

                    > Mark Rieck wrote:
                    > > Wayne,
                    > > I believe the topic is the TMB SS, not the LOMO 80's.
                    >
                    > WG: Mark, I did not see that distinction in the post, it said TMB, not
                    > TMB SS, and I don't think the SS 80mm has hit the streets yet.
                    >
                    > The LOMO TMB 80 is, in my experience, the best 80mm ever made. The
                    many
                    > pictures Dodi provided over the years boggled the imagination of us all
                    > to see (including Tom himself many times, who designed it).
                    >
                    > As I know Dodi would not accept anything less than the very best both
                    > mechanically and optically, which his pictures bear out quite well,
                    if I
                    > was in the market for that size scope and could get one (I assume they
                    > are still being made), it would be a no-brainer to get one which has
                    > such a long proven credential.
                    >
                    > If Dodi isn't on the group right now to add further, I would seek him
                    > out (through his website) for added comment on his experiences with
                    this
                    > incredible telescope. IMO, it has broken the barriers on just what an
                    > 80mm can really do!
                    >
                    > WayneG

                  • spraudp
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 19, 2008
                      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Wayne G <fomalhaut@...> wrote:
                      All,
                      I was referring to the TMB SS, as advertised by Astronomics. I have
                      visited the TMB web site (which is how I got to this forum), and
                      haven't seen anything about a "TMB LOMO". What is it? How can I find
                      out about it?

                      Regards,
                      Pieter

                      > Mark Rieck wrote:
                      > > Wayne,
                      > > I believe the topic is the TMB SS, not the LOMO 80's.
                      >
                      > WG: Mark, I did not see that distinction in the post, it said TMB, not
                      > TMB SS, and I don't think the SS 80mm has hit the streets yet.
                      >
                      > The LOMO TMB 80 is, in my experience, the best 80mm ever made. The
                      many
                      > pictures Dodi provided over the years boggled the imagination of us all
                      > to see (including Tom himself many times, who designed it).
                      >
                      > As I know Dodi would not accept anything less than the very best both
                      > mechanically and optically, which his pictures bear out quite well,
                      if I
                      > was in the market for that size scope and could get one (I assume they
                      > are still being made), it would be a no-brainer to get one which has
                      > such a long proven credential.
                      >
                      > If Dodi isn't on the group right now to add further, I would seek him
                      > out (through his website) for added comment on his experiences with
                      this
                      > incredible telescope. IMO, it has broken the barriers on just what an
                      > 80mm can really do!
                      >
                      > WayneG

                    • Wayne G
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 20, 2008
                        spraudp wrote:
                        > All,
                        > I was referring to the TMB SS, as advertised by Astronomics. I have
                        > visited the TMB web site (which is how I got to this forum), and
                        > haven't seen anything about a "TMB LOMO". What is it? How can I find
                        > out about it?
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Pieter

                        Pieter, up until a year or two ago, all TMB's since inception were made
                        out of Germany and Russia with russian optics made by the optical giant
                        LZOS there who makes the glass right there to specification, not just
                        buy it in and then grind it. A nice touch. They were the chief optical
                        house
                        for the Soviet space program.

                        Most TMB's had optics made by LZOS. A few had optics made by another,
                        similar company called LOMO, including the 80mm in question, available
                        in two focal lengths, 480mm and 600mm I believe.

                        Tom Back wished to break from Markus Ludes due to personal disagreements
                        in their business relationship and finally found an Asian source to
                        replace Markus (APM), and started a new line, the Signature Series (SS),
                        a couple of years ago.

                        I believe the first SS scope, the 130 began to appear for sale about a
                        year ago roughly. There is also an 80mm in the works, though I am not
                        the expert on this.

                        The original line of TMB scopes now solely under the APM label are still
                        being made in sizes from 80mm up to 21 (?) inches or maybe even larger,
                        sometimes in more than one tube configuration, and can be had via
                        APM-Germany and dealers in Europe, Teton Telescopes and I believe
                        another company in CA., both in the USA.

                        They should be contacted for more information.

                        WayneG
                      • APM Telescopes
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 20, 2008
                          Hi Wayne

                          not everything you say is correct. The breake happened mainly while Tom was not anymore able due health problems to assemble telescopes and needet only finished scopes

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 21, 2008
                            Markus,
                            Thanks for the further information.

                            Regards,
                            Pieter

                            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "APM Telescopes" <anfrage@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Wayne
                            >
                            > not everything you say is correct. The breake happened mainly while
                            Tom was not anymore able due health problems to assemble telescopes
                            and needet only finished scopes

                          • spraudp
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 21, 2008
                              Wayne,
                              Many thanks for the extensive information. I guess no one can
                              really answer the question until the 80 mm scopes are out there for a
                              while. I think there are some reviews of the 130 out there, so I'll
                              look at them.

                              Thanks again!

                              Regards,
                              Pieter

                              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Wayne G <fomalhaut@...> wrote:

                              > spraudp wrote:
                              > > All,
                              > > I was referring to the TMB SS, as advertised by Astronomics. I have
                              > > visited the TMB web site (which is how I got to this forum), and
                              > > haven't seen anything about a "TMB LOMO". What is it? How can I find
                              > > out about it?
                              > >
                              > > Regards,
                              > > Pieter
                              > >

                              > Pieter, up until a year or two ago, all TMB's since inception were made
                              > out of Germany and Russia with russian optics made by the optical giant
                              > LZOS there who makes the glass right there to specification, not just
                              > buy it in and then grind it. A nice touch. They were the chief optical
                              > house
                              > for the Soviet space program.
                              >
                              > Most TMB's had optics made by LZOS. A few had optics made by another,
                              > similar company called LOMO, including the 80mm in question, available
                              > in two focal lengths, 480mm and 600mm I believe.
                              >
                              > Tom Back wished to break from Markus Ludes due to personal disagreements
                              > in their business relationship and finally found an Asian source to
                              > replace Markus (APM), and started a new line, the Signature Series (SS),
                              > a couple of years ago.
                              >
                              > I believe the first SS scope, the 130 began to appear for sale about a
                              > year ago roughly. There is also an 80mm in the works, though I am not
                              > the expert on this.
                              >
                              > The original line of TMB scopes now solely under the APM label are still
                              > being made in sizes from 80mm up to 21 (?) inches or maybe even larger,
                              > sometimes in more than one tube configuration, and can be had via
                              > APM-Germany and dealers in Europe, Teton Telescopes and I believe
                              > another company in CA., both in the USA.
                              >
                              > They should be contacted for more information.
                              >
                              > WayneG

                            • Mark Rieck
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 21, 2008
                                Include Astromart in your search of reviews.

                                Mark

                              • Wayne G
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 21, 2008
                                  > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "APM Telescopes" <anfrage@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Hi Wayne
                                  >>
                                  >> not everything you say is correct. The breake happened mainly while Tom was not anymore able due health problems to assemble telescopes and needet only finished scopes.

                                  WG: Hi Markus,

                                  I do stand corrected, you are quite correct as I remember the real break
                                  happened at a time when Tom's health had quite seriously declined
                                  unfortunately. But for the sake of being fair and balanced to all
                                  parties and all aspects and angles that have been presented here over
                                  the years, I suggested that the event above seemed to be the culmination
                                  of many moments of friction between the two of you that lead up to this
                                  final event.

                                  But then, I am merely a bystander acting on impressions and heresay---
                                  the only two people who truly know the real facts are you and Thomas.
                                  For whatever reasons it ended up that way, it saddens me that your
                                  relationship could not have worked out better and much much longer for I
                                  have long maintained that the "marriage" of the two of you produced the
                                  greatest phenomena in refractor history this industry has ever seen with
                                  brilliant optical and mechanical quality and engineering that even A-P
                                  and Takahashi cannot equal or surpass.

                                  Tom's passing at so young of an age renders all of this moot, of course,
                                  and we have you to carry on the LZOS design legacy and we shall see in
                                  the coming years how the new SS line survives, flourishes and grows with
                                  its creator unfortunately removed from the process at an all-too-early
                                  phase of the SS development process than would have been ideal. I have
                                  one of the original LZOS CNC silver/gray tube assemblies w/ 4-inch
                                  focuser, the 152mm #36, which I and most every person who has ever seen
                                  it, has often commented and maintained is the most beautiful telescope
                                  we have ever seen, with truly reference quality performance.

                                  It means more to me today than ever and perhaps some day I will add a
                                  100/800 to it as a piggyback, but I will always have both you and Tom to
                                  thank for making such optical beauty and perfection possible and
                                  available to the world at large.

                                  Regards,

                                  WayneG
                                • digidodi
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 17, 2008
                                    Sorry, not following groups a lot recently :)

                                    I vouch for the TMB 80mm, brilliant scope and optics. The only thing
                                    you can't do with it is full frame. There is no suitable flattener for
                                    it, so it works ok till APS format with e.g. a Televue reducer.
                                    I know Markus at some point had flatteners, but they are too large to
                                    be used with the standard feathertouch focuser of 2".

                                    Still, if I could get one used right now, I'll take one again.
                                    Anybody out there with one to spare :) ?

                                    Dodi