Focus device

  • davidrossitter2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hi

      I have a TMB 130 f6 and soon to have a WO72 and want to put on an
      electric focuser - one that can be used with either scope.

      I dont need anything fancy - just something that I can tweak remotely
      as the scope cools down. I can focus fairly easily with my set-up but
      I find myself running up and down the garden as the scope cools each
      evening!

      Any tips/suggestions/links to possible solutions would be appreciated.

      Thanks David
    • Louis Marchesi
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2008
        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "davidrossitter2000" <david@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have a TMB 130 f6 and soon to have a WO72 and want to put on an
        > electric focuser - one that can be used with either scope.
        >
        > I dont need anything fancy - just something that I can tweak remotely
        > as the scope cools down. I can focus fairly easily with my set-up but
        > I find myself running up and down the garden as the scope cools each
        > evening!
        >
        > Any tips/suggestions/links to possible solutions would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks David

        A Robofocus (http://www.homedome.com/robofoc1.htm) should fit the bill
        nicely. I use one on my TMB 152.

        It took me two iterations (and a whole lotta help from this group :-)
        to make a bracket I consider to be solid for it (never did figure out
        what to do with the brackets sent with the focuser).

        Hope this helps,
        Lou Marchesi
        New London Twp, PA
      • hewholooks
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2008
          I am also looking to motorize the focus on my 130/780 with FTF3545
          Feathertouch focuser.

          I am considering the JMI Motofocus, and although it fits the smaller
          Feathertouch focusers, I don't know if it fits this focuser. I have a
          question in at JMI and if I get an answer, I will post back here.
          http://tinyurl.com/292rb4

          Anyone with experience with this particular focuser - or any other?

          Hunter

          wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I have a TMB 130 f6 and soon to have a WO72 and want to put on an
          > electric focuser - one that can be used with either scope.
          >
          > I dont need anything fancy - just something that I can tweak remotely
          > as the scope cools down. I can focus fairly easily with my set-up
          but
          > I find myself running up and down the garden as the scope cools each
          > evening!
          >
          > Any tips/suggestions/links to possible solutions would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks David

        • Mike Dodd
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2008
            hewholooks wrote:
            > I am also looking to motorize the focus on my 130/780 with FTF3545
            > Feathertouch focuser.
            >
            > I am considering the JMI Motofocus, and although it fits the smaller
            > Feathertouch focusers, I don't know if it fits this focuser.

            Why not consider the motor accessory from Starlight Instruments?
            <http://www.starlightinstruments.com/digital-FTS.html>

            I installed one on my FT3545 focuser, and it works fine. Be sure to
            e-mail Starlight Instruments and tell them exactly which focuser you
            have, because I believe the part numbers for the motor accessory change
            depending on the focuser model. The Web site isn't very clear about this.

            Mike
            --

            Mike Dodd
            Montpelier, VA USA
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2008
              Hi Hunter,

              Why not just get the motorized attachment and associated goodies from
              Starlight that are designed specifically for the FT3545? That's
              exactly what I have and it works great. It's so simple to install
              that even *I* could do it, and, believe me, that's saying A LOT! :)

              Jim S.

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "hewholooks" <hewholooks@...> wrote:

              > I am also looking to motorize the focus on my 130/780 with FTF3545
              > Feathertouch focuser.
              >
              > I am considering the JMI Motofocus, and although it fits the smaller
              > Feathertouch focusers, I don't know if it fits this focuser. I have a
              > question in at JMI and if I get an answer, I will post back here.
              > http://tinyurl.com/292rb4
              >
              > Anyone with experience with this particular focuser - or any other?
              >
              > Hunter
              >
              > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "davidrossitter2000" <david@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi
              > >
              > > I have a TMB 130 f6 and soon to have a WO72 and want to put on an
              > > electric focuser - one that can be used with either scope.
              > >
              > > I dont need anything fancy - just something that I can tweak remotely
              > > as the scope cools down. I can focus fairly easily with my set-up
              > but
              > > I find myself running up and down the garden as the scope cools each
              > > evening!
              > >
              > > Any tips/suggestions/links to possible solutions would be appreciated.
              > >
              > > Thanks David

            • hewholooks
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2008
                Jim,

                I would do just that, but I am trying to avoid the extra weight and
                the extra complexity of the computer interface of the Starizona
                product.

                My mount is the Mach1GTO. If I don't get the Starizona product, I am
                considering the Motofocus motor for the Feathertouch focusers, about
                2/3 of the way down this page:
                http://www.jimsmobile.com/buy_motofocus.htm

                Since the AP mount control box and keypad (and Pulseguide) already
                have the capability to control DC focuser motors, do I really need to
                get a heavier and more expensive motor system with stepper motors?
                The simple Motofocus from JMI is a DC motor relative position focuser
                that can be controlled by the AP mount and according to the FocusMax
                website, also can take advantage of FocusMax autofocusing through
                MaximDL (as long as I use the Motofocus through the Mach1 Control Box
                focuser port).
                http://users.bsdwebsolutions.com/~larryweber/

                It seems to me that the AP control box in effect replaces the
                interface electronics that can be purchased for the Motofocus that
                allows it to be computer controlled:
                http://www.jimsmobile.com/buy_motor_controls.htm

                This all works out nicely on paper and in my head, but I wanted to
                run my plan by those on this board with more experience to see if I
                am making a glaring mistake of some kind. Please give me your advice
                and opinions.

                Thanks very much.

                Hunter

                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Jim S."
                <blues_rule_solomon_1999@...> wrote:

                > Hi Hunter,
                >
                > Why not just get the motorized attachment and associated goodies
                from
                > Starlight that are designed specifically for the FT3545? That's
                > exactly what I have and it works great. It's so simple to install
                > that even *I* could do it, and, believe me, that's saying A LOT! :)
                >
                > Jim S.
                >
                > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "hewholooks" <hewholooks@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I am also looking to motorize the focus on my 130/780 with
                FTF3545
                > > Feathertouch focuser.
                > >
                > > I am considering the JMI Motofocus, and although it fits the
                smaller
                > > Feathertouch focusers, I don't know if it fits this focuser. I
                have a
                > > question in at JMI and if I get an answer, I will post back here.
                > > http://tinyurl.com/292rb4
                > >
                > > Anyone with experience with this particular focuser - or any
                other?

                > > Hunter
                > >
                > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "davidrossitter2000" <david@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi
                > > >
                > > > I have a TMB 130 f6 and soon to have a WO72 and want to put on
                an
                > > > electric focuser - one that can be used with either scope.
                > > >
                > > > I dont need anything fancy - just something that I can tweak
                remotely
                > > > as the scope cools down. I can focus fairly easily with my set-
                up
                > > but
                > > > I find myself running up and down the garden as the scope cools
                each
                > > > evening!
                > > >
                > > > Any tips/suggestions/links to possible solutions would be
                appreciated.

                > > > Thanks David

              • sforster12
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2008
                  The JMI motofocus units I've used had a lot of backlash and were
                  limited in the torque they delivered for heavy imaging trains.

                  STU
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > exactly what I have and it works great. It's so simple to install
                  > > that even *I* could do it, and, believe me, that's saying A
                  LOT! :)

                  > > Jim S.
                  > >
                  > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "hewholooks" <hewholooks@>
                  wrote:

                  > > > I am also looking to motorize the focus on my 130/780 with
                  > FTF3545
                  > > > Feathertouch focuser.
                  > > >
                  > > > I am considering the JMI Motofocus, and although it fits the
                  > smaller
                  > > > Feathertouch focusers, I don't know if it fits this focuser. I
                  > have a
                  > > > question in at JMI and if I get an answer, I will post back
                  here.
                  > > > http://tinyurl.com/292rb4
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyone with experience with this particular focuser - or any

                • Jim S.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10, 2008
                    Hi Hunter,

                    You mentioned the one thing I wish the Starlight motorized system
                    supported -- namely, the ability to "manually" control the motor using
                    the AP-GTO Hand Controller for visual work. But for imaging, which is
                    about 90% of how I use my APM 152/1200, I focus via computer/FocusMax,
                    so this is a non-issue for me.

                    The Starlight system has worked very well for me, and I have not seen
                    any of the problems with it that STU mentioned in regards to other
                    products. The customer service and support from Starlight is
                    absolutely outstanding, by the way. That's not a slight at anyone
                    else -- it's just a statement of my own personal experience with
                    Starlight's tech support.

                    JS