Re: Questions for Feather Touch add-on users.

  • illuminetics
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2002
      Hi. Randy here again. Just want to thank Jeff, Karl, and Tim for your
      inputs. Werner suggested the 0.8" travel focuser since it'll be used
      as a secondary focuser and I won't need lots of travel.

      I'm out the door on a trip to Jackson Hole Wyoming for some skiing
      and will return 3/15. Wish I could take my 105, but the only mount
      that fits it now is my G-11 - a little large. Looks like my TV-85 /
      Panoramic gets to travel this time.

      Thanks again!

      Randy

      --- In tmboptical@y..., "illuminetics" <illuminetics@y...> wrote:
      > Hi. I'm very interested in getting a Feather Touch focuser to add
      > onto my TMB-105 (for high power fine focusing). I've talked to the
      > kind folks at Starlight Instruments about various options for the
      > Feather Touch / TMB-105 combination.
      >
      > Can any users out there who use the Feather Touch comment on which
      > models and options would best suit TMB scopes? The options include
      > drawtube focus travel (1.5, 2.0. & 2.5"), VAL adapter vs TMB
      adapter,
      > mounting before or after diagonal, etc.
      >
      > Thanks for any feedback.
      >
      > Randy Johnson
    • ruudschmeitz
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 11, 2002
        --- In tmboptical@y..., "limunary" <potentate@h...> wrote:
        > (...)
        > I went with an adapter that FeatherTouch made up to replace the 4"
        > to 2" adapter on the TMB-152.

        Hi Tim,

        Could you post a picture of your TMB-FeatherTouch combination in
        the Files section of this Yahoo-group ?

        > I think they have, and you are eluding to, a 2"
        > focuser which goes into a 2" opening and 1.25" eyepieces can be
        > used. If this exists (never seen it) then placing this after the
        > diagonal would mean the focuser is only moving the mass of the EP,
        > and no more.

        This would be the very best solution: a removable fine-focuser, only
        to put in my MaxBright when necessary.

        > I hope this was useful!
        >
        > Tim Povlick
        > San Juan Capistrano, CA

        Ruud Schmeitz
        Universiteit Maastricht
      • limunary
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 11, 2002
          --- In tmboptical@y..., "ruudschmeitz" <r.schmeitz@m...> wrote:

          > Hi Tim,
          >
          > Could you post a picture of your TMB-FeatherTouch combination in
          > the Files section of this Yahoo-group ?

          Will do this evening.

          > This would be the very best solution: a removable fine-focuser, only
          > to put in my MaxBright when necessary.

          This is different than my approach. Mine is like 2 focusers in
          tandom. The 2" adapter with feather touch built-in sounds very
          interesting also.

          Tim

          (what does Maastricht tramslate to?)

          > Ruud Schmeitz
          > Universiteit Maastricht
        • limunary
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 12, 2002
            --- In tmboptical@y..., "ruudschmeitz" <r.schmeitz@m...> wrote:
            > --- In tmboptical@y..., "limunary" <potentate@h...> wrote:
            >
            > Could you post a picture of your TMB-FeatherTouch combination in
            > the Files section of this Yahoo-group ?

            Rudd,

            Here you go:

            Enjoy,

            Tim
          • Greg Arnold
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 12, 2002
              Would you mind indicating the cost of that beauty?

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 12, 2002
                --- In tmboptical@y..., "Greg Arnold" <soarxc@c...> wrote:
                > Would you mind indicating the cost of that beauty?

                Greg,

                This was about US$325 for 2" focuser with 2" travel.

                I was thinking more about this and if one really wanted to dump a pile
                of money and have the ultimate, get a 3" or 4" diagonal mirror that
                Markus sells, and put a 2" feather touch after it. Then you have full
                2" opening and lightest load on the feather touch. Oh well maybe
                someday in my observatory with the TMB-9" etc etc.

                ------

                Happy Messier Marathoning.

              • ruudschmeitz
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 13, 2002
                  --- In tmboptical@y..., "limunary" <potentate@h...> wrote:
                  > Rudd,
                  >
                  > Here you go:

                  > Enjoy,
                  >
                  > Tim

                  Thanks Tim .
                  The combination TMB-scope and FT-focuser looks quite impressive !

                  Ruud Schmeitz
                  Universiteit Maastricht