Re: eyepiecs for the TMB130/1200?

  • mrgrytt
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2008
      Hi Rob,
      I use mainly Brandons and Super Monos. Almost exclusively Super
      Monos (originals) for planetary observing. All are used in a
      bino-viewer. Some Naglers for DSO observing.
      Can't beat a pair of 24mm Panoptics for sweeping the Milky Way.
      Wise move to get less complex eyepieces. The 130 f/9.25 is
      a great match for them.

      Harvey

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "albireo13" <albireo13@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I use the TMB130/1200 LW and it is a great apo! I am strictly a
      > visual user, mostly lunar/planets/doubles/brighter DSOs.
      > My eyepiece set was previously a disjoint, "mish-mosh" of different
      > eyepieces. I'm selling these off and starting fresh.
      >
      > I'd love to hear from other TMB130/1200 users to find out what they
      > use and what they really like with this scope.
      >
      > With f/9.25 focal ratio, I'm thinking that I can take advantage of
      > less complex ep designs ... maybe better contrast??
      >
      > Any inputs are welcome.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Rob

    • albireo13
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2008
        Maybe I can get by with some Konigs for low power and maybe plossls
        or orthos for binoviewing!?

        I just sold off my Ethos to fund my
        self-lobotomy! I loved it but I am thinking that a binovue with less
        complex eyepieces will give me a bigger wow than the Ethos.
        Still .... it was hard to do.

        Rob

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mrgrytt" <mrgrytt@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rob,
        > I use mainly Brandons and Super Monos. Almost exclusively
        Super
        > Monos (originals) for planetary observing. All are used in a
        > bino-viewer. Some Naglers for DSO observing.
        > Can't beat a pair of 24mm Panoptics for sweeping the Milky
        Way.
        > Wise move to get less complex eyepieces. The 130 f/9.25 is
        > a great match for them.
        >
        > Harvey
        >

        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "albireo13" <albireo13@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > > I use the TMB130/1200 LW and it is a great apo! I am strictly
        > > visual user, mostly lunar/planets/doubles/brighter DSOs.
        > > My eyepiece set was previously a disjoint, "mish-mosh" of
        different
        > > eyepieces. I'm selling these off and starting fresh.
        > >
        > > I'd love to hear from other TMB130/1200 users to find out what
        they
        > > use and what they really like with this scope.
        > >
        > > With f/9.25 focal ratio, I'm thinking that I can take
        advantage of
        > > less complex ep designs ... maybe better contrast??
        > >
        > > Any inputs are welcome.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Rob

      • Mark Rieck
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2008
          Yes, I recommend exactly what you listed. While one man's opinion, I
          found the 'tunnel vision' effect one notices when switching from an
          ultrawide to something around 50* AFOV when using a single ocular;
          just isn't the case in a bino. Konigs are excellent and still provide
          a fairly wide field too.

          Mark

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "albireo13" <albireo13@...> wrote:

          > Maybe I can get by with some Konigs for low power and maybe plossls
          > or orthos for binoviewing!?
          >
          > I just sold off my Ethos to fund my
          > self-lobotomy! I loved it but I am thinking that a binovue with
          less
          > complex eyepieces will give me a bigger wow than the Ethos.
          > Still .... it was hard to do.
          >
          > Rob
          >

          > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mrgrytt" <mrgrytt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Rob,
          > > I use mainly Brandons and Super Monos. Almost exclusively
          > Super
          > > Monos (originals) for planetary observing. All are used in a
          > > bino-viewer. Some Naglers for DSO observing.
          > > Can't beat a pair of 24mm Panoptics for sweeping the Milky
          > Way.
          > > Wise move to get less complex eyepieces. The 130 f/9.25 is
          > > a great match for them.
          > >
          > > Harvey
          > >

          > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "albireo13" <albireo13@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi,
          > > > I use the TMB130/1200 LW and it is a great apo! I am
          strictly
          > > > visual user, mostly lunar/planets/doubles/brighter DSOs.
          > > > My eyepiece set was previously a disjoint, "mish-mosh" of
          > different
          > > > eyepieces. I'm selling these off and starting fresh.
          > > >
          > > > I'd love to hear from other TMB130/1200 users to find out
          what
          > they
          > > > use and what they really like with this scope.
          > > >
          > > > With f/9.25 focal ratio, I'm thinking that I can take
          > advantage of
          > > > less complex ep designs ... maybe better contrast??
          > > >
          > > > Any inputs are welcome.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Rob

        • Eric Jamison
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2008
            Hi Rob,

            > Maybe I can get by with some Konigs for low power and maybe plossls
            > or orthos for binoviewing!?

            The eyepieces I use for my TMB refractors including the 130mm f/9.25 include
            the Super Mono's for the planets as well as a 40mm and 30mm Paragons and TV
            Naglers and Panoptics at other focal lengths.

            I used Konigs from University Optics for a number of years including a 40mm,
            32mm, 24mm and 16mm they worked very well for me. I also like their Orthos
            and feel they offer a lot of performance for the money as discussed in this
            review:

            http://members.leapmail.net/~ericj/equipment_reviews.html#2

            The TMB/BO Planetary eyepieces have gotten very good reviews. Look at
            CloudyNights for reviews.

            Another eyepiece I liked that University Optics offered from the late 1980's
            to the mid-1990's was called the Wide Scan, and included a 25mm (70 degree
            FOV), 20mm (80 degree FOV), 13mm (80 degree FOV), and 10mm (80 degree FOV)
            and ranged in price from $130 - $150. You could post a want ad on AstroMart
            and they show up used their once in a while.

            Hope this helps,

            Eric Jamison