Re: Hello Guys

  • warren_riggins
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1 9:49 AM
      Markus,

      You've brought forth a very interesting proposal. We would need to
      have two poll questions posted.

      1. Geographically, where would be an ideal dark sky site for such an
      instrument?,

      and, 2. Would you as a members be willing to invest $(1-10, 10-25,
      25-100)to support a TMB community telescope?

      I am sure many of us would be in favor some memorial to Mr. Back's
      work. This is a possiblity.

      Clear Skies,

      Warren
      Allentown, PA

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "APM Telescopes" <anfrage@...>
      wrote:

      > Mark
      >
      > the 530 mm apo lens is not in stock, but the blanks are done and
      under polishing and the lens will be completed and offered for sale
      whoever is the first who buy it, gets it

      > If all members of this group collect money, we shall be able to
      complete the telescope with mount for not to much money for anybody
      and locate the scope to a nice spot in USA

      > you all may want to think about that ?
      >
      > clear skies
      > Markus Ludes
      > sitting right now in Hawthorne, New Jersey

    • Mark Rieck
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1 5:18 PM
        When one mentions dark skies, that is arguably associated with the
        West, say like....Idaho! ;*)

        Mark

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "warren_riggins"
        <warren_riggins@...> wrote:

        > Markus,
        >
        > You've brought forth a very interesting proposal. We would need to
        > have two poll questions posted.
        >
        > 1. Geographically, where would be an ideal dark sky site for such
        an
        > instrument?,
        >
        > and, 2. Would you as a members be willing to invest $(1-10, 10-25,
        > 25-100)to support a TMB community telescope?
        >
        > I am sure many of us would be in favor some memorial to Mr. Back's
        > work. This is a possiblity.
        >
        > Clear Skies,
        >
        > Warren
        > Allentown, PA
        >
        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "APM Telescopes" <anfrage@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Mark
        > >
        > > the 530 mm apo lens is not in stock, but the blanks are done and
        > under polishing and the lens will be completed and offered for sale
        > whoever is the first who buy it, gets it
        > >
        > > If all members of this group collect money, we shall be able to
        > complete the telescope with mount for not to much money for anybody
        > and locate the scope to a nice spot in USA
        > >
        > > you all may want to think about that ?
        > >
        > > clear skies
        > > Markus Ludes
        > > sitting right now in Hawthorne, New Jersey

      • Michael Sherick
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2 11:27 AM
          Hi Folks,

          I thought I would share some test images from my newly redesigned TMB152 f8 APO. I built this OTA several years ago, and designed the internal baffle system in cooperation with Thomas Back, but for CCD Imaging, it seems that there were too many internal reflection problems. So... back to the drawing board :-)

          Long story short -- I added additional internal baffles, with modified baffle spacing, added additional flocking, and enlarged the dew shield. The result was greatly improved contrast and elimination of the reflections previously seen.

          Here are a few results imaged with the TMB152 after the modifications. All files have been reduced in size to about 500K. CCD camera is a STL6303.

          M45 Single 5 minute exposure, Clear filter.
          http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Test/M45-LumTest-2-08.jpg

          ngc1333 Single 5 minute exposure, Clear filter.
          http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Test/ngc1333-LumTest-2-08.jpg

          M81-M82 4 x 5 minutes sequence, Clear filter.
          http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Test/M81-LumTest-2-08.jpg

          M13 5 x 5 minute sequence, Clear filter. Imaged 5:30am - aircraft streak at no extra cost.
          http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Test/M13-LumTest-2-08.jpg

          In general, I am pleased with the results. I notice that there is a slight collimation issue, which I will correct the next time I get up to the JMSM Observatory.

          For those interested in the internal construction of this custom TMB152, here is a web link showing the OTA and Baffle structure:
          http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Obs/TMB/tmb.html
          There is also a link on this page to a PDF file showing the internal Baffle placement.

          regards,
          Mike Sherick
          JMSM Observatory
          www.imagingtheheavens.com

        • Neil Fleming
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2 8:39 PM
            Impressive work on that scope, Michael. Wanna do my
            203? <g>.

            You added the rods, right? How did you link them to
            the lens cell and the back of the scope?

            ...Neil

            --- Michael Sherick <michaelsherick@...> wrote:

            > Hi Folks,
            >
            > I thought I would share some test images from my
            > newly redesigned TMB152 f8 APO. I built this OTA
            > several years ago, and designed the internal baffle
            > system in cooperation with Thomas Back, but for CCD
            > Imaging, it seems that there were too many internal
            > reflection problems. So... back to the drawing
            > board :-)
            >
            > Long story short -- I added additional internal
            > baffles, with modified baffle spacing, added
            > additional flocking, and enlarged the dew shield.
            > The result was greatly improved contrast and
            > elimination of the reflections previously seen.
            >
            > Here are a few results imaged with the TMB152
            > after the modifications. All files have been
            > reduced in size to about 500K. CCD camera is a
            > STL6303.
            >
            > M45 Single 5 minute exposure, Clear filter.

            http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Test/M45-LumTest-2-08.jpg

            > ngc1333 Single 5 minute exposure, Clear filter.

            http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Test/ngc1333-LumTest-2-08.jpg

            > M81-M82 4 x 5 minutes sequence, Clear filter.

            http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Test/M81-LumTest-2-08.jpg

            > M13 5 x 5 minute sequence, Clear filter. Imaged
            > 5:30am - aircraft streak at no extra cost.

            http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Test/M13-LumTest-2-08.jpg

            > In general, I am pleased with the results. I
            > notice that there is a slight collimation issue,
            > which I will correct the next time I get up to the
            > JMSM Observatory.
            >
            > For those interested in the internal construction
            > of this custom TMB152, here is a web link showing
            > the OTA and Baffle structure:
            > http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Obs/TMB/tmb.html
            > There is also a link on this page to a PDF file
            > showing the internal Baffle placement.
            >
            > regards,
            > Mike Sherick
            > JMSM Observatory
            > www.imagingtheheavens.com

            > removed]
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            www.flemingastrophotography.com
            Also check out the astro_narrowband Yahoo group!
          • APM Telescopes
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4 11:55 AM
              My bring into such memorial telescope would be to build it at cost without adding any profit, how much that will be , we can calculate after we talk how to build it