M76 - 9"f/9 and OSC M25C

  • dietmar hager
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2008
      hi my friends,

      it's been a while since my last post.
      weather was nasty for more than 2 months.
      but - everything ends and so does bad weather...

      I started M76 in an almost perfect night! 1.11.07 - we had terrific
      seeing and transpareny. (-9/10 !
      but that night moon came up high in the sky so I had to stop after 2
      hours - it was just too bright.
      then of course - I had to wait a little ... and on friday last week I
      was able to complete the session with 4.5 more hours of exp time.
      single frames 10 minutes and 15 minutes.

      scope: 9" f/9 TMB Apo
      CCD: SXVF M25C one shot color
      image acquisition, autoguiding preprocesing astroart4.
      also CCD sharp and registax for preprocessing.
      postprocessing (incuding pseudoluminance) in PS CS2 and Pix Insight
      LE.

      FULL size:
      http://www.stargazer-observatory.com/M76-full.html

      make sure to check out his enlarged crop HERE:
      http://www.stargazer-observatory.com/M76-ecrop.html

      this little nebula holds only some 61 ar seconds in its longitudinal
      axis and therefore is a "hard nut" in terms of resolution and detail.

      I am really very glad with that result, as the central appears to be
      a little elongated and one could get the idea, it has two parts...
      (only visible in the enlarged crop)well, I admit - this is personal
      bias here...
      also the small stargroup was a specific target and I am happy, the 9"
      apo split this group.

      looking forward for your comments and tips, guys!
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2008
        >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "dietmar hager"
        > <dietmar.hager@...> wrote:

        Hi Dietmar,

        I would say this is a though nut to crack but you pulled it off. Good
        color and resolution on the object and star field looks really good
        and natural. One can cruise around and see galaxies about.

        ___
        Tim

        > hi my friends,
        >
        > it's been a while since my last post.
        > weather was nasty for more than 2 months.
        > but - everything ends and so does bad weather...
        >
        > I started M76 in an almost perfect night! 1.11.07 - we had terrific
        > seeing and transpareny. (-9/10 !
        > but that night moon came up high in the sky so I had to stop after 2
        > hours - it was just too bright.
        > then of course - I had to wait a little ... and on friday last week I
        > was able to complete the session with 4.5 more hours of exp time.
        > single frames 10 minutes and 15 minutes.
        >
        > scope: 9" f/9 TMB Apo
        > CCD: SXVF M25C one shot color
        > image acquisition, autoguiding preprocesing astroart4.
        > also CCD sharp and registax for preprocessing.
        > postprocessing (incuding pseudoluminance) in PS CS2 and Pix Insight
        > LE.
        >
        > FULL size:
        > http://www.stargazer-observatory.com/M76-full.html
        >
        > make sure to check out his enlarged crop HERE:
        > http://www.stargazer-observatory.com/M76-ecrop.html
        >
        > this little nebula holds only some 61 ar seconds in its longitudinal
        > axis and therefore is a "hard nut" in terms of resolution and detail.
        >
        > I am really very glad with that result, as the central appears to be
        > a little elongated and one could get the idea, it has two parts...
        > (only visible in the enlarged crop)well, I admit - this is personal
        > bias here...
        > also the small stargroup was a specific target and I am happy, the 9"
        > apo split this group.
        >
        > looking forward for your comments and tips, guys!

      • Karel Teuwen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
          Dear Dietmar,
          Despites my reply to you personally yesterday, I wanted to congrats you
          again on this list for such a marvellous result !! For 'only' a 9"
          telescope the details are incredible !! It's also a pleasure to discover the
          dozens tiny galaxies in the background, great work indeed !!
          Best regards and Happy New Year to you all guys.
          Karel

          _____

          http://www.stargaze <http://www.stargazer-observatory.com/M76-full.html>

          http://www.stargaze <http://www.stargazer-observatory.com/M76-ecrop.html>

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
            ...thanks Tim and Karel for your nice words!
            best to you,
            Dietmar

            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Karel Teuwen" <publik@...> wrote:

            > Dear Dietmar,
            > Despites my reply to you personally yesterday, I wanted to congrats
            you
            > again on this list for such a marvellous result !! For 'only' a 9"
            > telescope the details are incredible !! It's also a pleasure to
            discover the
            > dozens tiny galaxies in the background, great work indeed !!
            > Best regards and Happy New Year to you all guys.
            > Karel
            >
            > _____

            Namens

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
              ...again - THANK you Tim and Karel.

              FYI:

              I just goolged around for some data on the central star.
              well, certainly the central star is solitude, a very hot star of some
              kKelvin (differing data on that between 15k to 60k)...?
              the yellowish "binary-component" to the south is a star far in the
              background - it is said to be located some 20k LY behind the nebula.
              HST has revealed this...
              so this optical binary system has a distance of some 1.4".

              Dietmar

              PS: did you know this nebula was very long time considered to be a
              galaxy until in the beginning of the 19th century by spectroscopic
              investagations its treu nature was revealed...?