Re: ALT AZ and TMB 115?

  • David B
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Jorel" <astrotrek@...> wrote:

      > Could I use an Alt Az mount and a TMB115 or would it be too hard to
      > handle balance and shake on a light breeze?

      Yep - I use a Discmounts' DM4 alt-az on a heavy duty wooden tripod and
      it works very well, even at 180x.

      - David
    • Rob Willett
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
        Mark,

        I use a Giro II with a 100mm TMB, 94mm Brandon and a 80mm shortfield
        finder scope at the same time, total weight is around 14KG. I find
        that loading up each side of the Giro so it's balanced makes it work
        even better, so 7Kg each side is actually better and smoother than
        just a single 7Kg weight.

        Since I can't afford a 115 TMB I have no idea of the weight, but it
        can't be twice a 100mm TMB (can it?).

        The tripod is actually the key thing here. I use a Quickset Hercules
        and it's rock solid. I suspect it would take 40Kg as it's designed
        for old fashioned 35mm movies.

        Rob.

        On 1 Oct 2007, at 01:05, Mark Rieck wrote:

        > That depends on the alt/az mount used, and perhaps just as important,
        > the tripod used to support it. As stated, the GR3 is a mount whose
        > payload capacity and ease of motion is matched by none without
        > spending MANY times more. Since folks are trying to keep portability
        > at the top of their list, they often scrimp on the tripod, which may
        > be even more important for steady alt/az results than a gem.
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Jorel" <astrotrek@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Could I use an Alt Az mount and a TMB115 or would it be too hard to
        > > handle balance and shake on a light breeze?

      • Andreas Braun
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Rieck" <derklaus@...> wrote:

          > That depends on the alt/az mount used, and perhaps just as important,
          > the tripod used to support it. As stated, the GR3 is a mount whose
          > payload capacity and ease of motion is matched by none without
          > spending MANY times more. Since folks are trying to keep portability
          > at the top of their list, they often scrimp on the tripod, which may
          > be even more important for steady alt/az results than a gem.
          >
          > Mark

          This is what I've experienced with my former TMB 115/805 as well.

          Having used it for quite some time with a Giro2 on a Manfrotto 475
          tripod I upgraded to a Berlebach UNI19 tripod. It was like night and
          day. The damping times decreased from more than three seconds to about
          one second.

          I'd recommend looking for the WO EZTouch also. Very smooth and much
          better friction control than the Giro2.

          Andreas
        • Danny Halstead
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
            I have a older silver classic 115 805 TMB . The alt az mount I use is the DM-6 mount. This is the best combination I have found thus far. BTW I am using the wood Astro-Physics tripod.
            Take care,
            Dan