my new 254 mm F/9 Apo

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 29, 2007
      I have uploadt under files 254/9
      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sFHVRqIMJZwGgwrKm_qT1gMO1AwYuQugGH1dEfybwg
      vYtTphhxEzduTiLiuo3c8QW21536WUHNRGdgJTvF0nyI5PLV-9uXaD4pby/TMB%20254%
      20f9%20/TMB%20254%20Apo%20by%20APM1.jpg

      a image of my new Solar Telescope, a TMB Apo 254 mm f/9 with a high
      quality 10" ERF and 0.7 A and 0.5 A H-alpha Filter

      enjoy

      clear skies

      Markus

      btw: Dietmar and Dodi, now you both are welcome with your cameras to
      shoot some nice images :-)
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2007
        >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Markus Ludes" <anfrage@...
        > wrote:

        working link is:
        254 Apo by APM1.jpg>

        Real nice Markus! Can I bring my 6x7 camera for astro photography?

        ___
        Tim

        > I have uploadt under files 254/9
        > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sFHVRqIMJZwGgwrKm_qT1gMO1AwYuQugGH1dEfybwg
        > vYtTphhxEzduTiLiuo3c8QW21536WUHNRGdgJTvF0nyI5PLV-9uXaD4pby/TMB%20254%
        > 20f9%20/TMB%20254%20Apo%20by%20APM1.jpg
        >
        > a image of my new Solar Telescope, a TMB Apo 254 mm f/9 with a high
        > quality 10" ERF and 0.7 A and 0.5 A H-alpha Filter
        >
        > enjoy
        >
        > clear skies
        >
        > Markus
        >
        > btw: Dietmar and Dodi, now you both are welcome with your cameras to
        > shoot some nice images :-)

      • Anfrage
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 29, 2007

          you are welcome as well, tell me 10 days ahead, that I get a flattner ready

          bye
          Real nice Markus! Can I bring my 6x7 camera for astro photography?

          ___
          Tim

          > I have uploadt under files 254/9
          > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sFHVRqIMJZwGgwrKm_qT1gMO1AwYuQugGH1dEfybwg
          > vYtTphhxEzduTiLiuo3c8QW21536WUHNRGdgJTvF0nyI5PLV-9uXaD4pby/TMB%20254%
          > 20f9%20/TMB%20254%20Apo%20by%20APM1.jpg
          >
          > a image of my new Solar Telescope, a TMB Apo 254 mm f/9 with a high
          > quality 10" ERF and 0.7 A and 0.5 A H-alpha Filter
          >
          > enjoy
          >
          > clear skies
          >
          > Markus
          >
          > btw: Dietmar and Dodi, now you both are welcome with your cameras to
          > shoot some nice images :-)

        • dietmar hager
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 29, 2007
            hi guys,

            Markus - that`s quite a scope - boy, it is really huge!
            Markus - what have you done to the 12"f/12 Apo...?
            thanks for the invitatin - I`ll sure visit you with my equipment!
            it's a matter of time...but it WILL happen (-:
            Tim, that would be a great event, having you there also! we could
            arrange a tour through austria as well - (-:

            hope to see you all soon,
            Dietmar

            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Anfrage" <anfrage@...> wrote:

            > Tim
            >
            > you are welcome as well, tell me 10 days ahead, that I get a
            flattner ready

            > bye

          • Anfrage
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 30, 2007
              Dietmar

              Planets are to low , to small for good observing, so this summer and autum the 10" will be used as solarscope, when Planets are back the 12" will come back. This are toy scopes its easy to switch now between 10" and 12" :-)

              Markus - that`s quite a scope - boy, it is really huge!
              Markus - what have you done to the 12"f/12 Apo...?
              thanks for the invitatin - I`ll sure visit you with my equipment!
              it's a matter of time...but it WILL happen (-:
              Tim, that would be a great event, having you there also! we could
              arrange a tour through austria as well - (-:

              hope to see you all soon,
              Dietmar

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Anfrage" <anfrage@...> wrote:

              > Tim
              >
              > you are welcome as well, tell me 10 days ahead, that I get a
              flattner ready

              > bye

            • Tim Wetherell
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 30, 2007
                Hi everyone

                Has anyone ever tried using two of the TMB 1.8x barlows in tandem to
                get a 3.6x? and if so, what were your impressions?

                thanks

                --

                All the best

                Dr Tim Wetherell
                Editor: ScienceWise Magazine
                Research School of Physical Sciences and Engineering
                The Australian National University
                Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

                T: +61 2 6125 0361
                F: +61 2 6125 2966
                W: www.anu.edu.au

                CRICOS Provider # 00120C
              • Guilherme de Almeida
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                  Hi, Tim
                  Two 1.8 x Barlows, in tandem, will give about 1.8x1.8=3.24,
                  If you take the second Barlow (the one near the eyepiece) a little outside**, you can increase that global value.

                  **--That is, increasing the distance between the 2 optical groups.

                  You can, even, use a third Barlow tube (only empty tube, without lenses inside) as an extender between the two optical groups, obtaining a greater magnification factor.

                  I did not try the TMB Barlow specifically.

                  Best Regards
                  Guilherme de Almeida

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                    Tim Wetherell wrote:
                    > Hi everyone
                    >
                    > Has anyone ever tried using two of the TMB 1.8x barlows in tandem to
                    > get a 3.6x? and if so, what were your impressions?
                    >
                    > thanks

                    WG: Hi Tim,

                    Problem is that you're not likely to find anyone with two of these! I
                    have stacked barlows for imaging and it can work well. The 1.8 is the
                    best barlow I've used so I would assume it would work as well as any
                    other. If you are after something close to 4X you might also try using
                    a 4X Powermate.

                    WayneG
                  • Neil Fleming
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                      You like them better than the PowerMates, Wayne?

                      ...Neil

                      --- Wayne G <fomalhaut@...> wrote:

                      > Tim Wetherell wrote:
                      > > Hi everyone
                      > >
                      > > Has anyone ever tried using two of the TMB 1.8x
                      > barlows in tandem to
                      > > get a 3.6x? and if so, what were your impressions?
                      > >
                      > > thanks
                      > >

                      > WG: Hi Tim,
                      >
                      > Problem is that you're not likely to find anyone
                      > with two of these! I
                      > have stacked barlows for imaging and it can work
                      > well. The 1.8 is the
                      > best barlow I've used so I would assume it would
                      > work as well as any
                      > other. If you are after something close to 4X you
                      > might also try using
                      > a 4X Powermate.
                      >
                      > WayneG
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      www.flemingastrophotography.com
                    • Wayne G
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                        Neil Fleming wrote:
                        > You like them better than the PowerMates, Wayne?
                        >
                        > ...Neil

                        WG: I would have to say yes, Neil, even though I use each for different
                        things. The PM is very nice, but I usually use it with long f.l. 2"
                        eyepieces (like a 60mm 2" Kellner to get equivalent 15mm eyepiece,
                        etc.), whereas the 1.8 I use only with short eyepieces--- usually
                        SuperMonos.

                        The PM can impart a bit of a troubling effect in some situations to
                        where your eye placement becomes very critical--- a bit too close or
                        far from the eye lens of the eyepiece and you can get a vignetting/
                        tunneling effect to the view.

                        In 2003 before the 1.8 came out I stacked the 4X PM with a 3X Dakin
                        (rare) and a 2.4X Dakin to get the large scale I needed to run an
                        Astrovid 2000 camera for live video recording of Mars during its close
                        approach through my 152mm APM/TMB.

                        The scale was such that on a 19" monitor the planet was the size of a
                        dinner plate!

                        During moments of calm seeing, the detail was spectacular. Too bad the
                        camera is not color.

                        WayneG

                        PS: That reminds me--- I knew there was another reason for buying the
                        7 and 9mm SM's recently: considering the chances that any more monos
                        will not be produced in shorter f.l.'s, with the 1.8 barlow this gives
                        me: 4.4mm (8mm), 3.9mm (7mm), 3.3mm (6mm), 2.8mm (5mm), 2.2mm (4mm).
                        Of course this will preclude using both eyes (unless I buy a second 1.8
                        barlow), but that is OK. The 1.8 barely imparts any perceivable
                        detrimental signature at all on the views through a mono, but as a pure
                        design, I try to not add anything nonessential at all to the light path.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
                          >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Wayne G <fomalhaut@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Tim Wetherell wrote:
                          > > Hi everyone
                          > >
                          > > Has anyone ever tried using two of the TMB 1.8x barlows in tandem
                          > > to get a 3.6x? and if so, what were your impressions?
                          > >
                          > > thanks
                          > >

                          > WG: Hi Tim,
                          >
                          > Problem is that you're not likely to find anyone with two of these!
                          > I have stacked barlows for imaging and it can work well. The 1.8
                          > is the best barlow I've used so I would assume it would work as well
                          > as any other. If you are after something close to 4X you might
                          > also try using a 4X Powermate.
                          >
                          > WayneG

                          I have tandemed the 4x PM with the TMB 1.8 barlow (imaging) with good
                          results. I've always wondered how two tmb-1.8x would stack, suspect
                          well. Since I have the 4x PM no reason to try it.

                          The TMB 1.8x is superior (visual use) to the 2.5x PM in 1.25" format.

                          Tube Tim
                        • Neil Fleming
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
                            Thanks for the info, Wayne.

                            ...Neil

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
                              Thanks Wayne,

                              Actually powermates were one of many barlows I tried en-route to the
                              TMB, and I'm no expert but in my opinion the powermates are good but
                              the TMB simply murders them on contrast and sharpness. As you say, it
                              really is a phenomenal barlow! I might experiment with Guilherme's
                              idea of using a post barlow extension tube too.

                              all the best

                              Tim

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 3, 2007
                                Tim Wetherell wrote:
                                > Thanks Wayne,
                                >
                                > Actually powermates were one of many barlows I tried en-route to the
                                > TMB, and I'm no expert but in my opinion the powermates are good but
                                > the TMB simply murders them on contrast and sharpness. As you say, it
                                > really is a phenomenal barlow! I might experiment with Guilherme's
                                > idea of using a post barlow extension tube too.

                                WG: With all this talk about them and Markus having 66 (?) left, now
                                you've got me thinking about picking up a second one for BVing with!
                                Here's a GOOD QUESTION: what do you folks think would be better (or
                                worse), buying a 1.7X compensator for the Z-B BV (have 1.2 now), or a
                                second barlow to put ahead of each eyepiece?

                                I've never tried a BV with barlows between the viewer and ocular, but if
                                it worked, it would be easier to change than it would be removing the
                                whole BV and changing compensators. I would think.

                                WayneG
                              • mrgrytt
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 3, 2007
                                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Wayne G <fomalhaut@...> wrote:

                                  > WG: With all this talk about them and Markus having 66 (?) left, now
                                  > you've got me thinking about picking up a second one for BVing with!
                                  > Here's a GOOD QUESTION: what do you folks think would be better (or
                                  > worse), buying a 1.7X compensator for the Z-B BV (have 1.2 now), or a
                                  > second barlow to put ahead of each eyepiece?

                                  Wayne,
                                  I've found the 1.7x compensator to be excellent and probably use
                                  it the more than the 1.25x for planetary observing. I would not want
                                  to be without it.
                                  A second Barlow might work very well but it seems like there
                                  would be more potential for alignment problems.
                                  Actually, the 2.6x compensator is very good too....... once you
                                  learn not to put it in backward. Many people, myself included, had
                                  put the 2.6x compensators in place the same as the 1.25x and 1.7x.
                                  Reading the directions and finding that it goes in the opposite
                                  direction was a big help.

                                  Harvey