robo-focus attachment to old TMB 3" focuser

  • jmarioherrera
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
      Hi all,

      Any ideas on how to attach a Robofocus motor to an old TMB 3" focuser,
      the one made in Germany, not the Starlight one?

      Does someone make such an adapter?

      I think the RoboBracket made by Astroart for the Astrophysics focuser
      doesn´t match.

      Thanks.

      Joaquín M. Herrera
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
        Joaquin,

        I made my own bracket; there is some images of it in the files section
        under “Tak Micro Focuser”. The RoboBracket looks to be the best option
        otherwise to me. You may need to drill some holes in the bottom of the
        focuser as I did when I attached my bracket to the focuser.

        Terry

        http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/index.htm

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
          Thanks Terry, good idea.

          Joaquín M. Herrera

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

          > Joaquin,
          >
          > I made my own bracket; there is some images of it in the files
          section
          > under "Tak Micro Focuser". The RoboBracket looks to be the best
          option
          > otherwise to me. You may need to drill some holes in the bottom of
          the
          > focuser as I did when I attached my bracket to the focuser.
          >

          > Terry
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/index.htm
          >

          > _____

        • erdmanpe
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
            Less elegant, but just a flat plate and a piece of angle (on a 4",
            otherwise the same idea):

            Peter

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
              Peter,

              Of course it is the same idea! It came from looking at your adapter!
              VBG

              Terry

              http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/index.htm

              _____

              Less elegant, but just a flat plate and a piece of angle (on a 4",
              otherwise the same idea):

              http://tech.
              groups.yahoo.com/group/tmboptical/files/TMB_Robofocus.JPG

              Peter

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "jmarioherrera" <hercam@...>
                wrote:

                Hi Joaquín,

                Several good answers so far and I will through out one more. For my
                4" classic focuser I used the supplied bracket. I bent this in a
                metal forming brake as it seems bending it in a vice or clamp did
                not result in as strong a piece. I also used a small L bracket back
                to back with the supplied one. This added much more strength
                against flexing.

                To mount I used two of the screws that hold the focuser in place
                using slightly longer ones. This way there is no drilling and when
                removed there is no signs left of modification (as this is none).

                The setup was able to pull a STL11K and *BIG* field flattener uphill
                no problem.

                Best Regards,

                Tim