Re: focus

  • n7032b
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
      -yes I am educated and very talented. talked to starlight and they have a solid extention to bring to focus. but no a easy or quick to change which makes the TMB OPTICAL case, nice but now useless.
      I am sorry you think a quality APO should be redesigned to work for a average astronomer. NO OTHER PREMIUM TELESCOPE HAS ever had such mechanical problems from the get go to get it to work for basic visual and photo astronomy.
      buy this if you think this is normal.
      I also am weary of this. I pray someone buys this. THIS FORUM IS SUPPOSE TO DISCUSS PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS, not HYPE.
      all solutions so far have cost money, stress and further problems, sorry this scope has been put out with little, thought as to the mechanics and the fixes are band aids
      buy this
      kj

      tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@...> wrote:

      > I definitely think you should sell the instrument. Any complex device
      > requires the investment of some considerable thought and work on the
      > part of the user to make it perform for his particular application.
      > You don't seem prepared to make that investment. Instead, you prefer
      > these ranting messages about "all this trouble". I've grown weary of
      > them.
      >
      > Peter
      >

      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "n7032b" <kayak02@> wrote:
      > >
      > > anybody after experiencing the original TMBSS 130 f7 focuser, able
      > o reach focus either visually or with a camera. mine will not after
      > the $504 plus shipping back old one, and wonering how much I will
      > have to spend on a extension that might cause viggilenting
      > > anybody want to buy this $4100 new, used a couple of times with old
      > focuser, $504 FT UPGRADE, that won't reach focus?
      > > telescope, rings, case, didn't get a free diag for all this trouble.
      > > kj

    • greg_in_woodlands
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
        I have no problem reaching focus on my 130SS w/FT using a 2"
        diagonal and Pentax XW eyepieces, even on terrestial targets (too
        many clouds!).

        Greg

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi"
        <helixgate@...> wrote:

        > You can't reach eyepiece focus even with a diagonal? That's odd
        but
        > you can still get to focus with an extension tube. For prime focus
        > photography you may need an extension too and unless you are using
        > camera with a sensor larger than a 35mm format, I doubt you will
        get
        > much, if any vignetting. Even with that you can remove it with a
        flat
        > frame.
        > Using the stock focuser I don't need any extensions due to the
        > abundance of focus travel which is one reason I opted to stay with
        the
        > stock draw tube and install a stepper drive to replace the micro
        > focuser unit. Still, the value of the OTA is well worth it even if
        you
        > have to buy an extension.
        >
        > Mike Siniscalchi
        >
        > http://www.helixgate.net

      • n7032b
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
          no it would not reach focus with eyepieces, yes I should have stuck with stock focuser and have local machine shop repair with shimming , new rack and pinion, if I knew that the FT would have other problems due to short tube ,however even when I had stock one, I was nearing limit for focus. tube is too short, period. $504 for FT UPGRADE, $89.50 for FT EXTENTION , it will no longer fit in case. I have a large perminate observatory, and wanted transportable quality APO for travel. no problem with optics. These are real problems and purchaser of quality premium APO's should not have these problems.
          CONSUMERS SHOULD KNOW
          I wish someone would have told consumers of this problems when I purchased, but not many had one at the time, and we bought on the reputation of previous TMB's. the upgrade FEATHERTOUCH FOCUSERS ARE NICE, AND NO PROBLEMS with it, it is shorter and causes further problems needing extentions and rendering case useless its just poor mechanics and design of tube and focuser, and FT helped out supplying focusers to help, but tube is too short, 130mm f7 figure it out yourself and measure yours. you will see
          let TEC or AP OR APM
          TAK or others pass one off like this.
          they have minor problems but not design problems. I want to sell it.
          OPTICS ARE excellent, FT and extension should make it par to other premium APO's
          quick transportation and storage is still a problem to me.
          Honesty seems to be replaced by HYPE and SPIN anymore. I could have passed this on but I did not. I tried to correct things that should have been worked out before selling.
          NEVER AGAIN

          tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi" <helixgate@...> wrote:

          > You can't reach eyepiece focus even with a diagonal? That's odd but
          > you can still get to focus with an extension tube. For prime focus
          > photography you may need an extension too and unless you are using a
          > camera with a sensor larger than a 35mm format, I doubt you will get
          > much, if any vignetting. Even with that you can remove it with a flat
          > frame.
          > Using the stock focuser I don't need any extensions due to the
          > abundance of focus travel which is one reason I opted to stay with the
          > stock draw tube and install a stepper drive to replace the micro
          > focuser unit. Still, the value of the OTA is well worth it even if you
          > have to buy an extension.
          >
          > Mike Siniscalchi
          >
          > http://www.helixgate.net

        • n7032b
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
            ---I am not a beginner, and it is up for sale, I have probably had more scopes than you are old, and involved with computer when they were only mainframes with tapes, and punchcards
            and worked, designed, and operated complex machinery from the old assembly lines to cnc machines.
            you have no solutions, and TMB, STARLIGHT and others know about this scopes limitations and problems,. don't belittle people that care about and understand, just because of your blind acceptance. BUY THIS, or give better and real situations solutions, for a scope that mechanical y inferior to other premium off shelf APO's
            HOW do I fit it in the case for transportation and storage and block the rear of telescope, for protection, without dismantling the modified FT focuser needed for scope to be useable and to make it fit in the stock case.

            tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mike3457" <mgsandy@...> wrote:

            > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I definitely think you should sell the instrument. Any complex
            > device
            > > requires the investment of some considerable thought and work on the
            > > part of the user to make it perform for his particular application.
            > > You don't seem prepared to make that investment. Instead, you prefer
            > > these ranting messages about "all this trouble". I've grown weary of
            > > them.
            > >
            > > Peter
            > >

            > Well done Peter - that's the kind of helpful response that encourages
            > the frustrated beginner!
            >
            > Mike

          • n7032b
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
              ---I am not a beginner, and it is up for sale, I have probably had more scopes than you are old, and involved with computer when they were only mainframes with tapes, and punchcards
              and worked, designed, and operated complex machinery from the old assembly lines to cnc machines.
              you have no solutions, and TMB, STARLIGHT and others know about this scopes limitations and problems,. don't belittle people that care about and understand, just because of your blind acceptance. BUY THIS, or give better and real situations solutions, for a scope that mechanical y inferior to other premium off shelf APO's
              HOW do I fit it in the case for transportation and storage and block the rear of telescope, for protection, without dismantling the modified FT focuser needed for scope to be useable and to make it fit in the stock case.

              tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mike3457" <mgsandy@...> wrote:

              > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I definitely think you should sell the instrument. Any complex
              > device
              > > requires the investment of some considerable thought and work on the
              > > part of the user to make it perform for his particular application.
              > > You don't seem prepared to make that investment. Instead, you prefer
              > > these ranting messages about "all this trouble". I've grown weary of
              > > them.
              > >
              > > Peter
              > >

              > Well done Peter - that's the kind of helpful response that encourages
              > the frustrated beginner!
              >
              > Mike

            • mike3457
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                Funny - you sounded like a frustarted beginner. I doubt your claim
                to having owned more scopes than I am old (that would be a bit of a
                feat)......but then you have no data to support that claim either.
                I guess you just prove that there are people the grow from their
                experiences, and there are those the are limited by them.

                In any event I owe Peter an apology. Sorry Peter, you were correct
                in your approach. Experienced people that lack the capacity to
                reason their way through complex world of extension tubes in order
                to achieve focus should probably stay with a less demanding hobby -
                something like collecting ballpoint pens (no offense intended to any
                ballpoint pens collectors that may read this).

                Regards

                Mike

                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "n7032b" <kayak02@...> wrote:

                > ---I am not a beginner, and it is up for sale, I have probably had
                more scopes than you are old, and involved with computer when they
                were only mainframes with tapes, and punchcards
                > and worked, designed, and operated complex machinery from the old
                assembly lines to cnc machines.
                > you have no solutions, and TMB, STARLIGHT and others know about
                this scopes limitations and problems,. don't belittle people that
                care about and understand, just because of your blind acceptance.
                BUY THIS, or give better and real situations solutions, for a scope
                that mechanical y inferior to other premium off shelf APO's
                > HOW do I fit it in the case for transportation and storage and
                block the rear of telescope, for protection, without dismantling the
                modified FT focuser needed for scope to be useable and to make it
                fit in the stock case.

                > tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mike3457" <mgsandy@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I definitely think you should sell the instrument. Any
                complex
                > > device
                > > > requires the investment of some considerable thought and work
                on the
                > > > part of the user to make it perform for his particular
                application.
                > > > You don't seem prepared to make that investment. Instead, you
                prefer
                > > > these ranting messages about "all this trouble". I've grown
                weary of
                > > > them.
                > > >
                > > > Peter
                > > >

                > > Well done Peter - that's the kind of helpful response that
                encourages
                > > the frustrated beginner!
                > >
                > > Mike

              • Jason
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                  Mike

                  Well Done :-)

                  Jason

                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mike3457" <mgsandy@...> wrote:

                  > Funny - you sounded like a frustarted beginner. I doubt your claim
                  > to having owned more scopes than I am old (that would be a bit of a
                  > feat)......but then you have no data to support that claim either.
                  > I guess you just prove that there are people the grow from their
                  > experiences, and there are those the are limited by them.
                  >
                  > In any event I owe Peter an apology. Sorry Peter, you were correct
                  > in your approach. Experienced people that lack the capacity to
                  > reason their way through complex world of extension tubes in order
                  > to achieve focus should probably stay with a less demanding hobby -
                  > something like collecting ballpoint pens (no offense intended to
                  any
                  > ballpoint pens collectors that may read this).
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Mike
                  >
                  > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "n7032b" <kayak02@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ---I am not a beginner, and it is up for sale, I have probably
                  had
                  > more scopes than you are old, and involved with computer when they
                  > were only mainframes with tapes, and punchcards
                  > > and worked, designed, and operated complex machinery from the old
                  > assembly lines to cnc machines.
                  > > you have no solutions, and TMB, STARLIGHT and others know about
                  > this scopes limitations and problems,. don't belittle people that
                  > care about and understand, just because of your blind acceptance.
                  > BUY THIS, or give better and real situations solutions, for a scope
                  > that mechanical y inferior to other premium off shelf APO's
                  > > HOW do I fit it in the case for transportation and storage and
                  > block the rear of telescope, for protection, without dismantling
                  the
                  > modified FT focuser needed for scope to be useable and to make it
                  > fit in the stock case.
                  > >

                  > > tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mike3457" <mgsandy@> wrote:

                  > complex
                  > > > device
                  > on the
                  > application.
                  > prefer
                  > weary of

                  > > > Well done Peter - that's the kind of helpful response that
                  > encourages
                  > > > the frustrated beginner!
                  > > >
                  > > > Mike

                • dennis
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                    ME, TOO...

                    I definitely think you should sell the instrument. Any complex device
                    requires the investment of some considerable thought and work on the
                    part of the user to make it perform for his particular application.
                    You don't seem prepared to make that investment. Instead, you prefer
                    these ranting messages about "all this trouble". I've grown weary of
                    them.

                    Peter

                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "n7032b" <kayak02@...> wrote:

                    > anybody after experiencing the original TMBSS 130 f7 focuser, able
                    o reach focus either visually or with a camera. mine will not after
                    the $504 plus shipping back old one, and wonering how much I will
                    have to spend on a extension that might cause viggilenting
                    > anybody want to buy this $4100 new, used a couple of times with old
                    focuser, $504 FT UPGRADE, that won't reach focus?
                    > telescope, rings, case, didn't get a free diag for all this trouble.
                    > kj

                  • n7032b
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                      ---maybe you think so
                      but that's been the ongoing trend when you don't really have the truth or facts and caught not doing the right things or don't admit mistakes, you call the other names, belittle them as people and ignore the
                      real issues and facts.
                      people are getting tired of those tactics. SPIN, HYPE

                      there are reasons why you don't have a large waiting list for these scopes, and if I can sell this you will have one less person. Read the post from the beginning , everybodys and you will see others with the same questions, problems, etc, they just don't come back
                      and neither will I when I get the problem solved and rid of this scope.

                    • erdmanpe
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                        Mike, no troubles mate. I'm the ultimate fan of helping any newbie
                        because I was there once (like all of us), and I'm often still there
                        even when I try to avoid it. I will ask for help from these groups
                        because the experience base is soooo huge. But this is a different
                        case entirely. Thank the Lord he doesn't have a chip of paint on his
                        lens cell, we already went through that <g>.

                        Ballpoint pens, there's a unique thought. Now, is there any potential
                        long term excitement in that hobby? <g>.

                        Peter

                      • Wayne G
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                          mike3457 wrote:
                          > with a less demanding hobby -
                          > something like collecting ballpoint pens (no offense intended to any
                          > ballpoint pens collectors that may read this).

                          WG: Whew! Close one Mike--- I don't collect ballpoint pens but do
                          collect rollerball pens, but only green and red ones, and I bet I have
                          more rollerball pens in my desk than you have used pencils in your whole
                          life (only #2's count though)! You don't trash talk my good hobby, I
                          not step on yours! :-)

                          I also have a /lens cap collection/ I work on, on the side. 8-)

                          Great Seeing and good mental health,

                          WayneG
                        • Wayne G
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                            n7032b wrote:
                            > that might cause viggilenting

                            WG: Dear kj, I have enjoyed reading your very thoughtful and erudite
                            posts here, and was very interested in your telescope as I go through
                            life most of the time looking at things out of focus (my entire life has
                            been a haze) so your telescope seemed very perfect for my needs.
                            However, I personally detest viggilenting, and am very sensitive to this
                            egregious and nefarious problem and so when you mentioned that you were
                            having viggilenting issues, I realized I would have to bow out in all
                            good conscience; thank you anyway for your kind offer.

                            As for your extension tube caveats, perhaps if you just take it out of
                            your drawtube, the case might close?

                            Blurry Images and wasted thousands,

                            WayneG
                          • Michael Bieler
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                              DIfferent Mike wrote that post, not Mike/astronomics.

                              Mike/astronomics

                            • Michael Bieler
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                                To address this and let it die please.

                                1. The scope was purchased used. We let you upgrade the focuser on
                                a used piece of equipment.
                                2. You e-mail us at work asking questions about the focuser, which
                                is not a problem. However, it is after you come to a public forum
                                and say we don't help.
                                3. The Focusers that came with the scope when sold new work fairly
                                well. There were some people with problems and others that just
                                wanted a Feathertouch becuase they just did. The focuser can be
                                tinkered with by the set screws that hold the tension of the pinion
                                gear to the rack. This adjustment can generally get the slop out of
                                the focuser. Sky and Telescope and Astronomy both seem to be quite
                                fond of the focuser as well as numerous people that choose to stick
                                with them rather then upgrade to the FT.
                                4. We have quite a long waiting list of the scope. I am sure we can
                                find a purchaser of the list if you would like us to. However, I
                                can't guarantee full price on the scope as it is used, but that would
                                be between you and the buyer.
                                5. There was no spin or hype, just a simple issue with particularly
                                heavy loads that can cause problems. Most people that upgraded saw
                                it as a chance to upgrade to a known commodity for a reasonable sum.
                                I wish the original focusers would have been given more of a chance.
                                They have actually shipped me 3 different versions since Tom told
                                them to quit including the focuser with the scope as he is going a
                                different direction.

                                Mike/astronomics

                              • erdmanpe
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 7, 2007
                                  Don't worry, we know the difference between all our Mikes <g>.

                                  Peter

                                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Michael Bieler <mike@...> wrote:

                                  > DIfferent Mike wrote that post, not Mike/astronomics.
                                  >
                                  > Mike/astronomics
                                  >
                                  > On Jul 7, 2007, at 7:52 PM, n7032b wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > ---maybe you think so
                                  > > but that's been the ongoing trend when you don't really have the
                                  > > truth or facts and caught not doing the right things or don't admit
                                  > > mistakes, you call the other names, belittle them as people and
                                  > > ignore the
                                  > > real issues and facts.
                                  > > people are getting tired of those tactics. SPIN, HYPE
                                  > >
                                  > > there are reasons why you don't have a large waiting list for these
                                  > > scopes, and if I can sell this you will have one less person. Read
                                  > > the post from the beginning , everybodys and you will see others
                                  > > with the same questions, problems, etc, they just don't come back
                                  > > and neither will I when I get the problem solved and rid of this
                                  > > scope.
                                  > >

                                  > > tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mike3457" <mgsandy@> wrote:
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Funny - you sounded like a frustarted beginner. I doubt your claim
                                  > >> to having owned more scopes than I am old (that would be a bit of a
                                  > >> feat)......but then you have no data to support that claim either.
                                  > >> I guess you just prove that there are people the grow from their
                                  > >> experiences, and there are those the are limited by them.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> In any event I owe Peter an apology. Sorry Peter, you were correct
                                  > >> in your approach. Experienced people that lack the capacity to
                                  > >> reason their way through complex world of extension tubes in order
                                  > >> to achieve focus should probably stay with a less demanding hobby -
                                  > >> something like collecting ballpoint pens (no offense intended to any
                                  > >> ballpoint pens collectors that may read this).
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Regards
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Mike

                                  > >> more scopes than you are old, and involved with computer when they
                                  > >> were only mainframes with tapes, and punchcards
                                  > >> assembly lines to cnc machines.
                                  > >> this scopes limitations and problems,. don't belittle people that
                                  > >> care about and understand, just because of your blind acceptance.
                                  > >> BUY THIS, or give better and real situations solutions, for a scope
                                  > >> that mechanical y inferior to other premium off shelf APO's
                                  > >> block the rear of telescope, for protection, without dismantling the
                                  > >> modified FT focuser needed for scope to be useable and to make it
                                  > >> fit in the stock case.

                                  > >> complex
                                  > >> on the
                                  > >> application.
                                  > >> prefer
                                  > >> weary of

                                  > >> encourages

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • luca_grella
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 11, 2007
                                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "n7032b" <kayak02@...> wrote:
                                    > extension that might cause viggilenting

                                    viggilenting is a very serious aberration.
                                    does it also have pinch barrelling extosion?

                                    just curious