Re: When will the new Signature Scopes hit the market?

  • Mike Siniscalchi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
      Thanks Peter :-)
      My observations are that the OTA is excellent in fit and finish as
      well as optical performance. I got one of the earlier ones (S/N 46) and
      the focuser had a problem but I was able to resolve it myself. The new
      OTA's come with the FT focuser though the old 4" stock focuser worked
      very well if you got one without a bad microfocuser. I had my stock
      focuser upgraded with a Moonlite stepper focuser and the unit works
      excellent for my use which is photography. I can't comment on the 80mm
      because I don't own one. But the 130SS is worth the money.

      Mike Siniscalchi

      http://www.helixgate.net

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@...> wrote:

      > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
      > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
      > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
      > with a 130mm.
      >
      > Peter
      >
      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
      > willing to share
      > > their observations?

    • Smilen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1 8:08 AM
        Thanks

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi" <helixgate@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Peter :-)
        > My observations are that the OTA is excellent in fit and finish as
        > well as optical performance. I got one of the earlier ones (S/N 46) and
        > the focuser had a problem but I was able to resolve it myself. The new
        > OTA's come with the FT focuser though the old 4" stock focuser worked
        > very well if you got one without a bad microfocuser. I had my stock
        > focuser upgraded with a Moonlite stepper focuser and the unit works
        > excellent for my use which is photography. I can't comment on the 80mm
        > because I don't own one. But the 130SS is worth the money.
        >
        > Mike Siniscalchi
        >
        > http://www.helixgate.net
        >

        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
        > > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
        > > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
        > > with a 130mm.
        > >
        > > Peter
        > >
        > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
        > > willing to share
        > > > their observations?

      • n7032b
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1 10:54 AM
          --- How did you resolve your original focuser issue, Was the microfocus the problem? the optics are great, sharp, color free and flat for med to large ccds.
          did you have image shift? The new FT are FANTASTIC, the new one with the FT will be a steal, if you get one.

          Itmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi" <helixgate@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Peter :-)
          > My observations are that the OTA is excellent in fit and finish as
          > well as optical performance. I got one of the earlier ones (S/N 46) and
          > the focuser had a problem but I was able to resolve it myself. The new
          > OTA's come with the FT focuser though the old 4" stock focuser worked
          > very well if you got one without a bad microfocuser. I had my stock
          > focuser upgraded with a Moonlite stepper focuser and the unit works
          > excellent for my use which is photography. I can't comment on the 80mm
          > because I don't own one. But the 130SS is worth the money.
          >
          > Mike Siniscalchi
          >
          > http://www.helixgate.net
          >

          > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@> wrote:
          > >
          > > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
          > > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
          > > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
          > > with a 130mm.
          > >
          > > Peter
          > >
          > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
          > > willing to share
          > > > their observations?

        • n7032b
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1 10:55 AM
            --- How did you resolve your original focuser issue, Was the microfocus the problem? the optics are great, sharp, color free and flat for med to large ccds.
            did you have image shift? The new FT are FANTASTIC, the new one with the FT will be a steal, if you get one.

            Itmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi" <helixgate@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Peter :-)
            > My observations are that the OTA is excellent in fit and finish as
            > well as optical performance. I got one of the earlier ones (S/N 46) and
            > the focuser had a problem but I was able to resolve it myself. The new
            > OTA's come with the FT focuser though the old 4" stock focuser worked
            > very well if you got one without a bad microfocuser. I had my stock
            > focuser upgraded with a Moonlite stepper focuser and the unit works
            > excellent for my use which is photography. I can't comment on the 80mm
            > because I don't own one. But the 130SS is worth the money.
            >
            > Mike Siniscalchi
            >
            > http://www.helixgate.net
            >

            > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@> wrote:
            > >
            > > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
            > > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
            > > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
            > > with a 130mm.
            > >
            > > Peter
            > >
            > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
            > > willing to share
            > > > their observations?

          • n7032b
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1 11:09 AM
              I have a TMB 130 SS and there are some out there, I can tell you the optics are clear , sharp, and color free, very good, and with the new FT focuser they are a steal for the price, performance. Astronomics has them for sale, and they have been very helpful to me for information and tech support. I you have a chance check one out, see for yourself I have no connections with anybody, I just like a good telescope

              tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@...> wrote:

              > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
              > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
              > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
              > with a 130mm.
              >
              > Peter
              >
              > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
              > willing to share
              > > their observations?

            • Mike Siniscalchi
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1 6:33 PM
                The microfocuser was way too tight which caused the bearings
                to 'grumble'. My fix can be found at:
                http://www.helixgate.net/tmb1.html
                This worked excellent aferwards but I needed a way to automate
                focusing which is why I had the stock focuser upgraded.

                The stock focuser was fitted with the Moonlite high resolutoin
                stepper drive. This works excellent. I will not be getting a FT.
                No, I never got image shift even with the stock micro focuser. The
                Moonlite focuser upgrade can be found here:
                http://www.helixgate.net/tmb2.html