Re: When will the new Signature Scopes hit the market?

  • erdmanpe
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
      There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
      don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
      with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
      with a 130mm.

      Peter

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
      willing to share
      > their observations?

    • Mike Siniscalchi
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2007
        Thanks Peter :-)
        My observations are that the OTA is excellent in fit and finish as
        well as optical performance. I got one of the earlier ones (S/N 46) and
        the focuser had a problem but I was able to resolve it myself. The new
        OTA's come with the FT focuser though the old 4" stock focuser worked
        very well if you got one without a bad microfocuser. I had my stock
        focuser upgraded with a Moonlite stepper focuser and the unit works
        excellent for my use which is photography. I can't comment on the 80mm
        because I don't own one. But the 130SS is worth the money.

        Mike Siniscalchi

        http://www.helixgate.net

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@...> wrote:

        > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
        > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
        > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
        > with a 130mm.
        >
        > Peter
        >
        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
        > willing to share
        > > their observations?

      • Smilen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1 8:08 AM
          Thanks

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi" <helixgate@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Peter :-)
          > My observations are that the OTA is excellent in fit and finish as
          > well as optical performance. I got one of the earlier ones (S/N 46) and
          > the focuser had a problem but I was able to resolve it myself. The new
          > OTA's come with the FT focuser though the old 4" stock focuser worked
          > very well if you got one without a bad microfocuser. I had my stock
          > focuser upgraded with a Moonlite stepper focuser and the unit works
          > excellent for my use which is photography. I can't comment on the 80mm
          > because I don't own one. But the 130SS is worth the money.
          >
          > Mike Siniscalchi
          >
          > http://www.helixgate.net
          >

          > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@> wrote:
          > >
          > > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
          > > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
          > > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
          > > with a 130mm.
          > >
          > > Peter
          > >
          > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
          > > willing to share
          > > > their observations?

        • n7032b
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1 10:54 AM
            --- How did you resolve your original focuser issue, Was the microfocus the problem? the optics are great, sharp, color free and flat for med to large ccds.
            did you have image shift? The new FT are FANTASTIC, the new one with the FT will be a steal, if you get one.

            Itmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi" <helixgate@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Peter :-)
            > My observations are that the OTA is excellent in fit and finish as
            > well as optical performance. I got one of the earlier ones (S/N 46) and
            > the focuser had a problem but I was able to resolve it myself. The new
            > OTA's come with the FT focuser though the old 4" stock focuser worked
            > very well if you got one without a bad microfocuser. I had my stock
            > focuser upgraded with a Moonlite stepper focuser and the unit works
            > excellent for my use which is photography. I can't comment on the 80mm
            > because I don't own one. But the 130SS is worth the money.
            >
            > Mike Siniscalchi
            >
            > http://www.helixgate.net
            >

            > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@> wrote:
            > >
            > > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
            > > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
            > > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
            > > with a 130mm.
            > >
            > > Peter
            > >
            > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
            > > willing to share
            > > > their observations?

          • n7032b
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1 10:55 AM
              --- How did you resolve your original focuser issue, Was the microfocus the problem? the optics are great, sharp, color free and flat for med to large ccds.
              did you have image shift? The new FT are FANTASTIC, the new one with the FT will be a steal, if you get one.

              Itmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi" <helixgate@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Peter :-)
              > My observations are that the OTA is excellent in fit and finish as
              > well as optical performance. I got one of the earlier ones (S/N 46) and
              > the focuser had a problem but I was able to resolve it myself. The new
              > OTA's come with the FT focuser though the old 4" stock focuser worked
              > very well if you got one without a bad microfocuser. I had my stock
              > focuser upgraded with a Moonlite stepper focuser and the unit works
              > excellent for my use which is photography. I can't comment on the 80mm
              > because I don't own one. But the 130SS is worth the money.
              >
              > Mike Siniscalchi
              >
              > http://www.helixgate.net
              >

              > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@> wrote:
              > >
              > > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
              > > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
              > > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
              > > with a 130mm.
              > >
              > > Peter
              > >
              > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
              > > willing to share
              > > > their observations?

            • n7032b
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1 11:09 AM
                I have a TMB 130 SS and there are some out there, I can tell you the optics are clear , sharp, and color free, very good, and with the new FT focuser they are a steal for the price, performance. Astronomics has them for sale, and they have been very helpful to me for information and tech support. I you have a chance check one out, see for yourself I have no connections with anybody, I just like a good telescope

                tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "erdmanpe" <erdmanpe@...> wrote:

                > There is a Yahoo group devoted to these scopes ("TMBSS"), but there
                > don't seem to many in actual use. Mike Siniscalchi has a web site
                > with his nice images (http://www.helixgate.net/whatsnew.html) taken
                > with a 130mm.
                >
                > Peter
                >
                > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Smilen" <hkstaub_1999@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Does anyone have either the 80 mm or the 130 mm version and would be
                > willing to share
                > > their observations?

              • Mike Siniscalchi
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1 6:33 PM
                  The microfocuser was way too tight which caused the bearings
                  to 'grumble'. My fix can be found at:
                  http://www.helixgate.net/tmb1.html
                  This worked excellent aferwards but I needed a way to automate
                  focusing which is why I had the stock focuser upgraded.

                  The stock focuser was fitted with the Moonlite high resolutoin
                  stepper drive. This works excellent. I will not be getting a FT.
                  No, I never got image shift even with the stock micro focuser. The
                  Moonlite focuser upgrade can be found here:
                  http://www.helixgate.net/tmb2.html