115 or 130 f/6 for Planets/moon.

  • elmsley4cardtrick
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
      Hello everyone.
      Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
      Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
      specificaly for the Moon and Planets.

      The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
      so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL observation
      of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.

      Thankyou everyone.
      Elmsley.
    • Ivan Eder
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
        Hi Elmsley,

        I recommend the TMB 130/780, it has perfect color correction in focus, and
        very sharp optics. 115f/7 might have even better color correction, but this
        advantage is very-very small, in my opinion it is visible only when you
        observe intra and extrafocal star image. 130f/6 has more resolution, and
        more light (which is also very important when observing planets).
        Just for additional info, 130f/6 has about "2 times" better color
        correction, than a TEC140 apo.

        Hope this helps!

        Regards,
        Ivan

        At 18:14 2007. 06. 28., you wrote:
        >Hello everyone.
        >Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
        >Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
        >specificaly for the Moon and Planets.
        >
        >The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
        >so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL observation
        >of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.
        >
        >Thankyou everyone.
        >Elmsley.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Wayne G
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
          > Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
          >
          > I ordered one and am looking forward to getting my paws on it?

          WG: Is it just me? Sorry guys, but all of a sudden I'm having a hard
          time figuring out just what people are asking, telling or reporting on
          this group!

          WayneG
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 28, 2007
            >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "elmsley4cardtrick"
            > <elmsley4cardtrick@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hello everyone.
            > Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
            > Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
            > specificaly for the Moon and Planets.
            >
            > The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
            > so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL
            > observation of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.

            If you are interested in visual / planetary I would go the 130 / 1200.
            Portability won't be that bad. The views will be outstanding. The
            higher f/l will really bring in the planets / moon. THe combination
            of smaller aperature and high f/number makes this optic a stand out.

            Maybe someone that has the 130/1200 can chime in?

            > Thankyou everyone.
            > Elmsley.

          • joachim.sbig
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
              Elmsley,

              the choice not only depends on the diameter.
              - Do you have mostly average / sometimes less than average seeing
              conditions? -> consider the 115
              - do you have best in class seeing conditions > 60 % of your
              observing nights? -> consider the 130
              - are you going really serious about planetary viewing (more than
              deep sky, drawing)? consider the 130
              - From the portability: 115 is 6,5 kg, the 130 is 7 kg, so no big deal
              - Cann you afford a 130? Then make it right and consider a set of the
              monocentric eyepieces including a TMB (or Zeiss) barlow. Otherwise
              the eye relief for short focal length (below 5 mm) could be
              disapointing esp. when you need eyeglasses. Then indeed the 130/1200
              comes in, but at a significant higher pricepoint and at 8,5 kg
              weight...
              - In addition a Televue 3-6 mm zoom can be a very good completion
              because you can step by step focus to the maximun senseful power

              There is nothing wrong wih the 115, Think aout, that all of the add
              on equipment listed above including the price for the 115 is lower
              than the 130 OTA...

              my 2 cents

              Joachim

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@...> wrote:

              > >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "elmsley4cardtrick"
              > > <elmsley4cardtrick@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello everyone.
              > > Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
              > > Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
              > > specificaly for the Moon and Planets.
              > >
              > > The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
              > > so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL
              > > observation of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.
              > >

              > If you are interested in visual / planetary I would go the 130 /
              1200.
              > Portability won't be that bad. The views will be outstanding. The
              > higher f/l will really bring in the planets / moon. THe combination
              > of smaller aperature and high f/number makes this optic a stand
              out.

              > Maybe someone that has the 130/1200 can chime in?
              > Regards,
              >
              > Tim
              >
              > > Thankyou everyone.
              > > Elmsley.

            • nistel2004
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
                i have the tmb 130 f9.25 yes it is a long scope when the dew shield
                and extended draw tube are pulled out but it does all slide to a
                compactish size for traveling and its a killer for planets and
                doubles --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@...>
                wrote:

                > >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "elmsley4cardtrick"
                > > <elmsley4cardtrick@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello everyone.
                > > Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
                > > Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
                > > specificaly for the Moon and Planets.
                > >
                > > The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
                > > so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL
                > > observation of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.
                > >

                > If you are interested in visual / planetary I would go the 130 /
                1200.
                > Portability won't be that bad. The views will be outstanding. The
                > higher f/l will really bring in the planets / moon. THe combination
                > of smaller aperature and high f/number makes this optic a stand
                out.

                > Maybe someone that has the 130/1200 can chime in?
                > Regards,
                >
                > Tim
                >
                > > Thankyou everyone.
                > > Elmsley.

              • Alan French
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
                  > Hello everyone.
                  > Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
                  > Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
                  > specificaly for the Moon and Planets.
                  >
                  > The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
                  > so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL observation
                  > of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.
                  >
                  > Thankyou everyone.
                  > Elmsley.

                  As much as I love small apochromats, aperture is a very important part of
                  the equation if you want to become a serious lunar and planetary observer.
                  A aperture of 130mm is, IMHO, the bare minimum for such observations, and
                  the clear choice over the 115mm.

                  Clear skies, Alan
                • Alan French
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
                    > Elmsley,
                    >
                    > the choice not only depends on the diameter.
                    > - Do you have mostly average / sometimes less than average seeing
                    > conditions? -> consider the 115
                    > - do you have best in class seeing conditions > 60 % of your
                    > observing nights? -> consider the 130
                    [SNIP]

                    I think either choice is simply too small to make a decision based on local
                    seeing conditions. We live in the northern latitudes (about 43 degrees N),
                    yet I don't feel a 130mm telescope would show all the planetary detail there
                    is to see. We often have two telescopes in the 90mm to 250mm range outside,
                    and I have yet to see a night where the larger didn't have moments to
                    minutes where it provided better lunar and planetary detail.

                    Clear skies, Alan
                  • elmsley4cardtrick
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
                      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Alan French" <adfrench@...> wrote:

                      > > Hello everyone.
                      > > Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
                      > > Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
                      > > specificaly for the Moon and Planets.
                      > >
                      > > The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
                      > > so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL
                      observation
                      > > of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.
                      > >
                      > > Thankyou everyone.
                      > > Elmsley.
                      >
                      > As much as I love small apochromats, aperture is a very important
                      part of
                      > the equation if you want to become a serious lunar and planetary
                      observer.
                      > A aperture of 130mm is, IMHO, the bare minimum for such
                      observations, and
                      > the clear choice over the 115mm.
                      >
                      > Clear skies, Alan

                      Thanks for all your replies,Gentleman.
                      I think the "seeing conditions" remark is very important.
                      There is so much conflicting information on the internet regarding
                      the advantages of a given diameter {sometimes in the same report}
                      Im going to give this a lot more thought.

                      I wouldn"t be buying until next year so there is plenty time.
                      I will take all your comments on board.

                      Has anyone compared the 130/780 and 130/1200 at similar
                      magnifications on the planets?

                      Thankyou Lads.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
                        Alan,

                        Tom talked about this with the 130/1200 first came out. He said in
                        moments of very good seeing, the 1200 will outperform the 780, but in
                        average seeing conditions they were pretty much on an even keel.

                        Terry

                        http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/index.htm

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 29, 2007
                          Terry,

                          Thanks, but it was Elmsley who asked.

                          Clear skies, Alan

                          > Tom talked about this with the 130/1200 first came out. He said in
                          > moments of very good seeing, the 1200 will outperform the 780, but in
                          > average seeing conditions they were pretty much on an even keel.
                          >

                          > Terry

                          http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/index.htm

                          > _____

                        • Jose Fernandez
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 30, 2007
                            Hi Elmsley,
                            You can see several pictures taken with my APM/TMB 130 f6 in the
                            following links:
                            http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Jupiter-I.htm
                            http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Saturno-I.htm
                            http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Marte-I.htm
                            http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Venus.htm

                            If your issue is the portability, I would not have any doubt, the
                            130 mm f6 is the best option. By the way in this picture you can see
                            my transport case, only 74 cm long !!!!
                            http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/Imagenes/TMB130-2.jpg

                            Regards,
                            Jose Fernandez
                            www.luzestelar.com

                            <elmsley4cardtrick@...> wrote:

                            > Hello everyone.
                            > Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
                            > Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
                            > specificaly for the Moon and Planets.
                            >
                            > The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
                            > so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL
                            observation
                            > of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.
                            >
                            > Thankyou everyone.
                            > Elmsley.

                          • elmsley4cardtrick
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 1 2:15 AM
                              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Jose Fernandez" <jose.fg@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Hi Elmsley,
                              > You can see several pictures taken with my APM/TMB 130 f6 in the
                              > following links:
                              > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Jupiter-I.htm
                              > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Saturno-I.htm
                              > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Marte-I.htm
                              > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Venus.htm
                              >
                              > If your issue is the portability, I would not have any doubt, the
                              > 130 mm f6 is the best option. By the way in this picture you can
                              see
                              > my transport case, only 74 cm long !!!!
                              > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/Imagenes/TMB130-2.jpg
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Jose Fernandez
                              > www.luzestelar.com
                              >

                              > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "elmsley4cardtrick"
                              > <elmsley4cardtrick@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello everyone.
                              > > Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
                              > > Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
                              > > specificaly for the Moon and Planets.
                              > >
                              > > The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
                              > > so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL
                              > observation
                              > > of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.
                              > >
                              > > Thankyou everyone.
                              > > Elmsley.

                              Dear Jose,
                              Thankyou very much indeed,those photographs/images are incredible.I
                              admire your skill in producing images of that quality.

                              I really like that transport case too.
                              You might have just nudged me into a 130 f/6.

                              How do you find the 130 f/6 visualy,Jose?

                              Thankyou
                              Elmsley.
                            • Jose Fernandez
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 1 10:55 AM
                                Many thanks for your comments Elmsley.
                                Visually I cannot see chromatic aberration in any object with this
                                optic, Venus including.
                                No astigmatism, perfect collimation and the intra/extra focal images are
                                identical (from several nights in very good seeing 4/5)
                                Side by side comparison with two different 8" SCT (Meade and old orange
                                Celestron) the contrast image and visibility details in planetary views
                                is superior in the 130 mm APM.Without no doubt.

                                Regards,
                                Jose Fernandez
                                =====================
                                josefg@...
                                josefg@...
                                www.luzestelar.com
                                =====================

                                elmsley4cardtrick escribió:

                                > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jose Fernandez" <jose.fg@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi Elmsley,
                                > > You can see several pictures taken with my APM/TMB 130 f6 in the
                                > > following links:
                                > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Jupiter-I.htm
                                > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Jupiter-I.htm>
                                > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Saturno-I.htm
                                > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Saturno-I.htm>
                                > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Marte-I.htm
                                > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Marte-I.htm>
                                > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Venus.htm
                                > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Venus.htm>
                                > >
                                > > If your issue is the portability, I would not have any doubt, the
                                > > 130 mm f6 is the best option. By the way in this picture you can
                                > see
                                > > my transport case, only 74 cm long !!!!
                                > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/Imagenes/TMB130-2.jpg
                                > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/Imagenes/TMB130-2.jpg>
                                > >
                                > > Regards,
                                > > Jose Fernandez
                                > > www.luzestelar.com
                                > >

                                > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com>, "elmsley4cardtrick"
                                > > <elmsley4cardtrick@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hello everyone.
                                > > > Ive a TMB 80/480 and needles to say I love it.
                                > > > Two years after this purchase I now feel I need a larger aperture
                                > > > specificaly for the Moon and Planets.
                                > > >
                                > > > The 130/1200 is way too long for me as,portability is important
                                > > > so,bearing in mind this,what would you recommend for VISUAL
                                > > observation
                                > > > of Moon/Planets the 115f/7 or the 130f/6.
                                > > >
                                > > > Thankyou everyone.
                                > > > Elmsley.
                                > > >

                                > Dear Jose,
                                > Thankyou very much indeed,those photographs/images are incredible.I
                                > admire your skill in producing images of that quality.
                                >
                                > I really like that transport case too.
                                > You might have just nudged me into a 130 f/6.
                                >
                                > How do you find the 130 f/6 visualy,Jose?
                                >
                                > Thankyou
                                > Elmsley.

                              • elmsley4cardtrick
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 2 6:44 AM
                                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Jose Fernandez <jose.fg@...> wrote:

                                  > Many thanks for your comments Elmsley.
                                  > Visually I cannot see chromatic aberration in any object with this
                                  > optic, Venus including.
                                  > No astigmatism, perfect collimation and the intra/extra focal
                                  images are
                                  > identical (from several nights in very good seeing 4/5)
                                  > Side by side comparison with two different 8" SCT (Meade and old
                                  orange
                                  > Celestron) the contrast image and visibility details in planetary
                                  > is superior in the 130 mm APM.Without no doubt.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Jose Fernandez
                                  > =====================
                                  > josefg@...
                                  > josefg@...
                                  > www.luzestelar.com
                                  > =====================
                                  >

                                  > elmsley4cardtrick escribió:
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jose Fernandez" <jose.fg@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hi Elmsley,
                                  > > > You can see several pictures taken with my APM/TMB 130 f6 in the
                                  > > > following links:
                                  > > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Jupiter-I.htm
                                  > > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Jupiter-I.htm>
                                  > > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Saturno-I.htm
                                  > > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Saturno-I.htm>
                                  > > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Marte-I.htm
                                  > > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Marte-I.htm>
                                  > > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Venus.htm
                                  > > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/es/Venus.htm>
                                  > > >
                                  > > > If your issue is the portability, I would not have any doubt,
                                  the
                                  > > > 130 mm f6 is the best option. By the way in this picture you can
                                  > > see
                                  > > > my transport case, only 74 cm long !!!!
                                  > > > http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/Imagenes/TMB130-2.jpg
                                  > > <http://www.luzestelar.com/Astro/Imagenes/TMB130-2.jpg>
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Regards,
                                  > > > Jose Fernandez
                                  > > > www.luzestelar.com
                                  > > >

                                  > > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com>, "elmsley4cardtrick"

                                  > > > observation

                                  > > Dear Jose,
                                  > > Thankyou very much indeed,those photographs/images are
                                  incredible.I
                                  > > admire your skill in producing images of that quality.
                                  > >
                                  > > I really like that transport case too.
                                  > > You might have just nudged me into a 130 f/6.
                                  > >
                                  > > How do you find the 130 f/6 visualy,Jose?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thankyou
                                  > > Elmsley.

                                  Thanks Jose.
                                  You are certainly making it very hard for me to ignore this
                                  instrument.
                                  I was a bit concerned that where I live,the seeing conditions are not
                                  the best in the world {to say the least} but,if you have a 5"
                                  telescope,you also have a 4.5" 4" 3.5" etc by way of stopping the
                                  aperture down so,Im leaning more towards the 130 f/6.
                                  Thanks for all your help,Jose.
                                  Elmsley.