Adhesive On Dust Cap Felt Is A Sticky Black Mess

  • stevesantee92071
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2007
      I purchased an TMB 80/480 last year. It's received little use since
      then, but now I'm ready to start doing some imaging with it :)

      When I first purchased the scope I was unhappy to find that the
      adhesive that was used to hold the felt liner in place inside the dust
      cap was leaving a nasty, sticky black residue on the outside of the
      scope's dew shield. After paying a premium price for a premium scope,
      I was quite disappointed to say the least. I tried removing the
      residue using 70% isopropyl alcohol, but that didn't work well at all.
      I'm guessing that acetone would work, but I'm worried about what it
      would do to the finish of the scope.

      I would like to clean up the optical tube and remove the old felt and
      replace it with something which won't create the same messy problem.
      Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what to use to remove the
      adhesive and what I should replace the existing felt with? Any help
      would be greatly appreciated!

      Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "stevesantee92071"
        > <sstephenson61@...> wrote:

        Steve,

        Sorry to hear you are having this problem as the 80/480 is a nice lil'
        scope.

        To remove the residual / unwanted adhesive I would use the citrus
        based glue remover by 3M. Very good stuff and it's not 'aggressive'
        like acetone. A really good auto store should have it or a good auto
        paint store.

        No idea what to replace it with since everything will have an
        adhesive. I have used bits of the Protostar flocking material with
        success. Also ordinary felt from a craft store using 3M number 88 or
        number 95 spray adhesive on the felt to hold it in place.

        Tim

        > I purchased an TMB 80/480 last year. It's received little use since
        > then, but now I'm ready to start doing some imaging with it :)
        >
        > When I first purchased the scope I was unhappy to find that the
        > adhesive that was used to hold the felt liner in place inside the dust
        > cap was leaving a nasty, sticky black residue on the outside of the
        > scope's dew shield. After paying a premium price for a premium scope,
        > I was quite disappointed to say the least. I tried removing the
        > residue using 70% isopropyl alcohol, but that didn't work well at all.
        > I'm guessing that acetone would work, but I'm worried about what it
        > would do to the finish of the scope.
        >
        > I would like to clean up the optical tube and remove the old felt and
        > replace it with something which won't create the same messy problem.
        > Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what to use to remove the
        > adhesive and what I should replace the existing felt with? Any help
        > would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Steve

      • David Jessie
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
          Steve Santee wrote:

          > snip <
          > I would like to clean up the optical tube and remove the old felt and
          > replace it with something which won't create the same messy problem.
          > Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what to use to remove the
          > adhesive and what I should replace the existing felt with? Any help
          > would be greatly appreciated!

          Hi Steve,

          For similar problems I find that 'Goo Gone' works wonders. I've used
          it to remove the residue left by that 3M double-sided tape that's used
          to hold a Telrad base in place on OTAs. It totally removed the sticky
          stuff and left the OTA sparkling clean. I got it at the grocery store
          and I've seen it at Home Depot and Lowe's as well.

          This will work, I almost guarantee it.

          Clear Dark Steady Skies,
          Dave Jessie
        • Eric Baumgartner
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
            Steve:

            I replaced the felt on my CNC tube rings with industrial felt from the
            following supplier:

            <http://www.durofelt.com/image_12.html>

            I chose one of the 25-ft. rolls listed at the bottom of the page. For your
            application (dew shield cover), you'll have to look for a felt that isn't
            too thick. The adhesive on the roll I purchased does a good job of adhering
            to a clean, smooth surfact, and the felt doesn't "creep."

            I second Tim's recommendation of a citrus-based adhesive remover. Spray
            bottles of Citra-Solv can usually be found in hardware stores or retailers
            like Bed, Bath & Beyond.

            Hope this helps,

            Eric Baumgartner
            Redding, CT USA

            On 06/01/07 9:33 AM, "Tube Tim" <potentate@...> wrote:

            >> --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "stevesantee92071"
            >> <sstephenson61@...> wrote:
            >
            > Steve,
            >
            > Sorry to hear you are having this problem as the 80/480 is a nice lil'
            > scope.
            >
            > To remove the residual / unwanted adhesive I would use the citrus
            > based glue remover by 3M. Very good stuff and it's not 'aggressive'
            > like acetone. A really good auto store should have it or a good auto
            > paint store.
            >
            > No idea what to replace it with since everything will have an
            > adhesive. I have used bits of the Protostar flocking material with
            > success. Also ordinary felt from a craft store using 3M number 88 or
            > number 95 spray adhesive on the felt to hold it in place.
            >

            > Tim
            >

            >> I purchased an TMB 80/480 last year. It's received little use since
            >> then, but now I'm ready to start doing some imaging with it :)
            >>
            >> When I first purchased the scope I was unhappy to find that the
            >> adhesive that was used to hold the felt liner in place inside the dust
            >> cap was leaving a nasty, sticky black residue on the outside of the
            >> scope's dew shield. After paying a premium price for a premium scope,
            >> I was quite disappointed to say the least. I tried removing the
            >> residue using 70% isopropyl alcohol, but that didn't work well at all.
            >> I'm guessing that acetone would work, but I'm worried about what it
            >> would do to the finish of the scope.
            >>
            >> I would like to clean up the optical tube and remove the old felt and
            >> replace it with something which won't create the same messy problem.
            >> Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what to use to remove the
            >> adhesive and what I should replace the existing felt with? Any help
            >> would be greatly appreciated!
            >>
            >> Steve
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • stevesantee92071
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
              Tim and Eric,

              I'm on my way out to find some Citra-Solv (or a similar product). I'll
              let you know how it works.

              Eric, I just placed an order for a roll of 1mm thick felt from
              Durofelt. Thanks for the link. I checked the existing felt inside the
              dew cap and you were right. It was very thin material. Thanks again
              for the link!

              Steve

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
                Steve,

                Anything petroleum based WD-40 works well; even motor oil will remove
                it. The gum will free rite up; then clean with

                alcohol.

                Terry

                http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/index.htm

                _____

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
                  stevesantee92071 wrote:

                  > Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what to use to remove the
                  > adhesive and what I should replace the existing felt with?

                  I always use naptha (cigarette lighter fluid) to remove adhesive. It
                  doesn't harm finishes (I've used it on furniture), but it does remove
                  most adhesives.

                  Try regular felt from a fabric store or craft shop, attached with Goop
                  viscous adhesive. I use "Household Goop" but you can also get "Plumber's
                  Goop" and other varieties; I'm not sure there's much difference. Lowe's
                  and Home Depot carry it, as does Wal-Mart, I believe.

                  Mike

                  --

                  Mike Dodd
                  Montpelier, VA USA
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
                    I would like to thank you all for your help and suggestions. I have to
                    admit that I was skeptical (owing to the thick layer of sticky black
                    crud that the original felt was adhered with).

                    First I went to Home Depot looking for Citra-Solv. Didn't have it, so
                    I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond. They didn't have it either, so I
                    picked up a bottle of "Goo Gone Spray Gel". Using a cotton ball, I
                    dabbed some on the adhesive on the dew shield. It wiped off like
                    water! Next I peeled the old felt out of the lens cap revealing the
                    really thick layer of gunk that was beneath it. I sprayed some Goo
                    Gone on it, waited a few seconds, and much to my surprise it wiped out
                    clean as a whistle. I rinsed the dew cap with some warm water and I'm
                    good as new! When my new felt arrives I'll be golden. Not to mention
                    that now my scope now has a fresh orange scent :^)

                    Thanks again all. I'm a believer now.

                    Steve