Re: Cygnus Wall Region -- TMB152

    Message 1 of 23 , May 3, 2007
      >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sherick
      ><michaelsherick@...> wrote:

      This is really a nice image and in only 36 minutes, that is something!

      Congrats Mike.

      I think I see the duck. At first, from the subject line I thought
      this was a lunar image (wall region)

      Tim

      > Hello Folks,
      >
      > This test image of ngc7000 Cygnus Wall region was taken a couple
      of weeks ago from the JMSM Observatory in New Mexico.

      > Imaged with a TMB152 at f8, STL6303, 6nm Ha filter, External
      guiding with ST402 on AP guidescope. This was a single 36 minute
      exposure (planned fror 60min but cut short due to clouds). No dark or
      flat, simple Median filter applied, remaining post in PhotoShopCS.

      > http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/jmsm/CygnusWall.jpg
      >
      > The processing goal was to bring out as much detail in the dark
      areas in this interesting region of ngc7000.

      > Regards,
      > Mike Sherick
      > JMSM Observatory
      > www.imagingtheheavens.com

    • Ivan Eder
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2007
        Dietmar,

        I'm very impressed with your work, beautiful images, beautiful scopes, and
        last but not least beautiful family :-))).
        Congrats to your work, and to your APOD!

        Greetings from Hungary!

        Ivan Eder
        http://eder.csillagaszat.hu/

        At 04:09 2007. 05. 04.t Conve, you wrote:
        >Congrats! Well done!
        >
        > ...Neil
        >
        >--- klefr2 <klefr2@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Dietmar Hager has the APOD today for his wonderful
        > > image of NGC 4449.
        > >
        > > <http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html>
        > >
        > > Interesting subject.
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        >www.flemingastrophotography.com
        > Direct from Boston - brilliant diamonds in pea soup
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dietmar hager
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2007
          ...thanks Tim, Neil and Ivan!

          Ivan, since You`re from hungary You might know Lajos Szantho and
          Andras Dan...?

          dietmar

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Ivan Eder <eder@...> wrote:

          > Dietmar,
          >
          > I'm very impressed with your work, beautiful images, beautiful
          scopes, and
          > last but not least beautiful family :-))).
          > Congrats to your work, and to your APOD!
          >
          > Greetings from Hungary!
          >
          > Ivan Eder
          > http://eder.csillagaszat.hu/
          >

          > At 04:09 2007. 05. 04.t Conve, you wrote:
          > >Congrats! Well done!
          > >
          > > ...Neil
          > >
          > >--- klefr2 <klefr2@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Dietmar Hager has the APOD today for his wonderful
          > > > image of NGC 4449.
          > > >
          > > > <http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html>
          > > >
          > > > Interesting subject.
          > > >

          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > > >

          > >www.flemingastrophotography.com
          > > Direct from Boston - brilliant diamonds in pea soup
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ivan Eder
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2007
            Yes, I know both.
            Lajos is my friend, and my partner (or colleague) also at BTC (Budapest
            Telescope Center). I've heard about You from him... :-)

            Ivan

            At 13:20 2007. 05. 04., you wrote:
            >...thanks Tim, Neil and Ivan!
            >
            >Ivan, since You`re from hungary You might know Lajos Szantho and
            >Andras Dan...?
            >
            >dietmar
            >

            >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Ivan Eder <eder@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dietmar,
            > >
            > > I'm very impressed with your work, beautiful images, beautiful
            >scopes, and
            > > last but not least beautiful family :-))).
            > > Congrats to your work, and to your APOD!
            > >
            > > Greetings from Hungary!
            > >
            > > Ivan Eder
            > > http://eder.csillagaszat.hu/
            > >

            > > At 04:09 2007. 05. 04.t Conve, you wrote:
            > > >Congrats! Well done!
            > > >
            > > > ...Neil

            > > >www.flemingastrophotography.com
            > > > Direct from Boston - brilliant diamonds in pea soup
            > > >

            > > >Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mike Siniscalchi
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2007
              I second that. It's a well deserved award for a lovely image.

              Mike Siniscalchi

              http://www.helixgate.net

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "klefr2" <klefr2@...> wrote:

              > Dietmar Hager has the APOD today for his wonderful image of NGC 4449.
              >
              > <http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html>
              >
              > Interesting subject.

            • Mike Siniscalchi
              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2007
                That's pretty darn good for a single image. Is that a meteor I see
                at the 7 o'clock middle position?

                Mike Siniscalchi

                http://www.helixgate.net

                <michaelsherick@...> wrote:

                > Hello Folks,
                >
                > This test image of ngc7000 Cygnus Wall region was taken a couple
                of weeks ago from the JMSM Observatory in New Mexico.

                > Imaged with a TMB152 at f8, STL6303, 6nm Ha filter, External
                guiding with ST402 on AP guidescope. This was a single 36 minute
                exposure (planned fror 60min but cut short due to clouds). No dark
                or flat, simple Median filter applied, remaining post in PhotoShopCS.

                > http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/jmsm/CygnusWall.jpg
                >
                > The processing goal was to bring out as much detail in the dark
                areas in this interesting region of ngc7000.

                > Regards,
                > Mike Sherick
                > JMSM Observatory
                > www.imagingtheheavens.com

              • Michael Sherick
                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2007
                  Hi Mike,

                  Glad you liked the image.

                  Nice of you to notice the artifact. I'm afraid it's not a meteor -- just a noise component from the low-level processing done with only the Median filter in Maxim. It's a way to get by without a dark, but does leave behind a lot of noise.

                  Regards,
                  Mike

                  <michaelsherick@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Folks,
                  >
                  > This test image of ngc7000 Cygnus Wall region was taken a couple
                  of weeks ago from the JMSM Observatory in New Mexico.

                  > Imaged with a TMB152 at f8, STL6303, 6nm Ha filter, External
                  guiding with ST402 on AP guidescope. This was a single 36 minute
                  exposure (planned fror 60min but cut short due to clouds). No dark
                  or flat, simple Median filter applied, remaining post in PhotoShopCS.

                  > http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/jmsm/CygnusWall.jpg
                  >
                  > The processing goal was to bring out as much detail in the dark
                  areas in this interesting region of ngc7000.

                  > Regards,
                  > Mike Sherick
                  > JMSM Observatory
                  > www.imagingtheheavens.com

                • Mike Siniscalchi
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4, 2007
                    Studying it closer, there appears to be a long streak in a stright
                    line. That's why I thought a meteor trail.

                    Mike