TMB/MoonLite focuser V-curves

  • Mike Siniscalchi
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 26, 2007
      Hello list,

      Last week I posted images of the TMB 130SS focuser matched to a
      MoonLite high resolution stepper drive that replaced the micro-focuser.
      I finally was able to get time to take a few V-curve measurements with
      FocusMax last night. I'm really happy with the results with the stepper
      drive. Very consistent focus performance. One less thing to do manually!
      The URL is: http://www.helixgate.net/tmb2.html
      It's on the bottom of the page.

      Regards,
      Mike Siniscalchi

      http://www.helixgate.net
    • Neil Fleming
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 26, 2007
        Looks nice and repeatable, Mike. Good system.

        I worked with Larry and Steve to optimize my FocusMax
        settings, and would suggest that you at least double
        your half width setting. (I'd actually suggest 4x the
        current setting.) Right now you are working with too
        small a sample set, over too narrow a range. I don't
        know the precise characteristics of your focuser, but
        I'll bet you can get the PI differential down a lot
        more. With a wider setting, and ~120 points, you'll
        average out a lot of seeing errors. (That and about
        12 V-curves, of course <g>).

        For example, I am running at just over 3 steps of
        error on the FSQ/STL combination. And that is at
        1.27um per step for the PDF.

        Regards...Neil

        www.flemingastrophotography.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 26, 2007
          >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi" <helixgate@...
          > wrote:

          That's some astonishing results Mike. Your within 1 count out of
          30,000 for three runs. Converting this to an electronic analogy
          that's about 1 bit in 2 ^ 16 of close to 96dB.

          Having the system find focus automatically and so accurately is really
          nice.

          Good luck with your maging.

          Tim

          > Hello list,
          >
          > Last week I posted images of the TMB 130SS focuser matched to a
          > MoonLite high resolution stepper drive that replaced the micro-focuser.
          > I finally was able to get time to take a few V-curve measurements with
          > FocusMax last night. I'm really happy with the results with the stepper
          > drive. Very consistent focus performance. One less thing to do manually!
          > The URL is: http://www.helixgate.net/tmb2.html
          > It's on the bottom of the page.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Mike Siniscalchi
          >
          > http://www.helixgate.net

        • Mike Siniscalchi
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 27, 2007
            Hi Neil,

            Oh, I sure agree it can use more tweaking. It was a race between
            getting a curve before the clouds took over again.
            With my reflector, I have it down to where the bottom curve actually
            flattens out for a couple of step counts. But that was with F/5 being
            it's more critical than the TMB F/7. Tonight looks promising so I'll
            get to fine tune it more.

            Mike Siniscalchi

            http://www.helixgate.net

            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Neil Fleming <neilfleming@...>
            wrote:

            > Looks nice and repeatable, Mike. Good system.
            >
            > I worked with Larry and Steve to optimize my FocusMax
            > settings, and would suggest that you at least double
            > your half width setting. (I'd actually suggest 4x the
            > current setting.) Right now you are working with too
            > small a sample set, over too narrow a range. I don't
            > know the precise characteristics of your focuser, but
            > I'll bet you can get the PI differential down a lot
            > more. With a wider setting, and ~120 points, you'll
            > average out a lot of seeing errors. (That and about
            > 12 V-curves, of course <g>).
            >
            > For example, I am running at just over 3 steps of
            > error on the FSQ/STL combination. And that is at
            > 1.27um per step for the PDF.
            >
            > Regards...Neil
            >
            > --- Mike Siniscalchi <helixgate@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello list,
            > >
            > > Last week I posted images of the TMB 130SS focuser
            > > matched to a
            > > MoonLite high resolution stepper drive that replaced
            > > the micro-focuser.
            > > I finally was able to get time to take a few V-curve
            > > measurements with
            > > FocusMax last night. I'm really happy with the
            > > results with the stepper
            > > drive. Very consistent focus performance. One less
            > > thing to do manually!
            > > The URL is: http://www.helixgate.net/tmb2.html
            > > It's on the bottom of the page.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Mike Siniscalchi
            >

            > www.flemingastrophotography.com
            > Direct from Boston - brilliant diamonds in pea soup

          • Neil Fleming
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 27, 2007
              Hope you get some clear skies, Mike!

              I'm still dialing in my TMB, and will have to do so
              all over again when the flattener adaptor arrives <g>.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 27, 2007
                Hi Neil,

                Well, after fine tuning and using a step count of 60 and a step
                incr. of 5, I can get the PI diff. down to 14.xx. Using a step incr.
                of 5 ticks, I actually have a flat spot in the bottom of the curve
                close to 20 incr. steps in width. That must be the critical zone.
                Having built 9 profiles tonight and using their average, I get very
                repeatable focus and it stays within the 20 difference. That, I
                assume is the critical zone. Now if the clouds would stay away for a
                while.....

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 28, 2007
                  Sounds great, Mike. Yes, I have found with the longer
                  focal length scopes, that there is a definite "floor"
                  to the bottom of the V-curve. It does correspond to
                  the CFZ, and results in larger PIDs.

                  My FSQ is very "tight", having only ~40um cfz, and
                  very good PID. I don't recall the stats on my TOA-150
                  or the TMB 203 F/7 off the top of my head, but they
                  have much larger "flat" zones, and higher PIDs.

                  So, you've moved to a step count of 60 with a step
                  size of 5. That is a total of 300 steps. Can you
                  tell me what % this is of the full travel of your
                  focuser?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 28, 2007

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 28, 2007

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 28, 2007
                        Wow...I hit the "send button" only once!

                        === message truncated ===

                        www.flemingastrophotography.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 28, 2007
                          >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Neil Fleming <neilfleming@...
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > Wow...I hit the "send button" only once!

                          Yes, something is messed up with Yahoo it looks like. I went ahead and
                          deleted all the extra ones.

                          I posted this from the web so I'll be curious if only one makes it.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 28, 2007
                            Neil,

                            We are definitely going to have to get that finger looked at!!! LOL

                            I wonder how many times this will post? <Grin>

                            Terry

                            http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/index.htm

                            _____

                            Wow...I hit the "send button" only once!

                            --- Neil Fleming <neilfleming@ <mailto:neilfleming%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com>