Re: 130ss, Tube Rings, and Universal Plate?

  • mogulskier_groups
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2007
      Thanks guys!

      Dave

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "brad1h11" <p.honn@...> wrote:

      > Johns right about 6/7 thats the one I got. I keep mine mounted all
      > the time in a skyshed so its not a problem. I have a few pics look
      > under Brad's pics. I plan on getting the TMB 155ss when it comes
      > out. Thats the other reason I got the 6/7.
      >
      > You can get the AP 4/5 plate and not have any problem with the
      > dewshield.
      >
      > Brad
      >

      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "jdma926" <jwm521@> wrote:
      > >
      > > For a number of reasons I bought the AP plate for 6" and 7"
      scopes,
      > > and it doesn't allow the dewshield to slide all the way back
      toward
      > > the focuser when the rings are mounted. If having the dewshield
      > > slide all the way back is important to you (say, if you keep the
      > > rings on when the scope goes in the case), I'd suggest the
      shorter
      > AP
      > > plate for 4" and 5" scopes. John
      > >
      > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mogulskier_groups"
      > > <mogulskier_groups@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > So, I should get the AP plate? Any suggestion as to how long
      for
      > > > this scope?

      > with
      > > Plate
      > 2
      > > screws

      > > spacing
      > use
      > > > two

    • Mark Rieck
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
        Yes, the 60mm spacing is an AP standard. One can get around it with
        Losmandy D series so long as they are the DAP's.

        Mark

        <mogulskier_groups@...> wrote:

        > Thanks guys!
        >
        > Dave
        >

        > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "brad1h11" <p.honn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Johns right about 6/7 thats the one I got. I keep mine mounted
        all
        > > the time in a skyshed so its not a problem. I have a few pics
        look
        > > under Brad's pics. I plan on getting the TMB 155ss when it
        comes
        > > out. Thats the other reason I got the 6/7.
        > >
        > > You can get the AP 4/5 plate and not have any problem with the
        > > dewshield.
        > >
        > > Brad
        > >

        > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "jdma926" <jwm521@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > For a number of reasons I bought the AP plate for 6" and 7"
        > scopes,
        > > > and it doesn't allow the dewshield to slide all the way back
        > toward
        > > > the focuser when the rings are mounted. If having the
        dewshield
        > > > slide all the way back is important to you (say, if you keep
        the
        > > > rings on when the scope goes in the case), I'd suggest the
        > shorter
        > > AP
        > > > plate for 4" and 5" scopes. John
        > > >
        > > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mogulskier_groups"

        > for

        > > with
        Series
        > > > Plate
        > and
        > > 2
        > > > screws

        > > > spacing
        > > use
        > should

      • mogulskier_groups
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
          I learned this today from Astro-Physics:

          If you go to this page:
          http://www.losmandy.com/secondary.html

          There is a DAP4 for $90.00. The two little adapter blocks are (or
          can be) 60mm spacing. The screw onto the bottom of the TMB rings.
          The adapter blocks have additional holes on the bottom to attach the
          dovetail plate to the adapters.

          Here is a PDF illustrating how AP does it:
          http://preview.tinyurl.com/3yamlv
          http://www.astro-
          physics.com/tech_support/accessories/mounting_plates/losmandydovetailp
          lates.pdf

          In the PDF, the bottom illustration depicts it best.
          - First, you bolt the top of the adapter blocks to the bottom of
          the TMB rings using the bolts "C" through the adapter block holes
          labeled "I" (60mm spacing 1/4-20 counter-bored holes) and into the
          60mm spaced 1/4-20 tapped holes labeled (H) of theTMB rings.
          - Then you bolt the bottom of the adapter block to the top of the
          dovetail using bolts labeled "A" through the holes in the dovetail
          plate labeled "E" (counter-bored holes) and into the adapter block
          holes labeled "J" (1/4-20 tapped holes) using bolts "A".

          So I think I got it. Only thing left is that you are all
          recommending that I get the 4/5 plate so that I can leave the rings
          on while the dew shield is retracted. Good advice that I will follow.

          Dave

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Halstead"
          <dannyhalstead44@...> wrote:

          > Greg,
          > I believe that APM spaces the holes on their rings to correspond
          with the Astro-physics (AP)dove tail plates. I have the same issue
          using losmandy as you.