Report on Using AP 2.7" FR with TMB130 SS

  • jiprovi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2007
      I connected an AP 2.7" FR (0.7 reduction) to my brother's (Jason) TMB130 SS last night.
      Unfortunately it seems the optical tube needs to be about 2" shorter to allow the CCD camera
      behind the FR to obtain focus (I get close but can't achieve focus). I was curious about what I
      would see using such a FR and wondered if it would improve the field flatness. Looks like I
      will be looking at getting a field flattener afterall.

      James
    • Wade Van Arsdale
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2007
        Hi James,
        Thanks for reporting on your FR. That is exactly what I've been
        talking about. The need for somewhat shorter tubes to better
        accomodate imaging gear, but with capability for rigid threaded
        extensions to increase tube length for a greater variety of
        setups. I think if you image, you will want to get a good
        field flattener, especially for larger CCD chip sizes with their
        bigger imaging field. I haven't followed all the FF and FR
        threads on the new 130, but maybe there is still something out there
        that will work with the current 130 configuration. You might
        also check with Markus (APM) to see what he might have that would
        work. Sometimes your best bet is to get a FF that is specifically
        designed for a certain brand of scope or a specific focal length.
        Markus may have this, or be able to make one for you that will work
        with the backfocus you currently have on the 130.

        Cheers,
        Wade