Re: Deleted Posts

  • astronomics1
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 5, 2007
      Tom will have the letter ready in the near future. I undestand it
      will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday when all the parties have
      had a chance to talk to one another.

      Mike/astronomics

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi"
      <helixgate@...> wrote:

      > Ohhhhhhh...interesting. How did the SI focuser come into this
      > discussion? Is this the 'fix' planned for the current focuser
      issue by
      > chance? :-)
      >
      > Mike Siniscalchi
      >
      > http://www.helixgate.net

    • Eric Baumgartner
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 5, 2007
        Mike:

        When we saw a prototype of the TMB130SS in the Burgess Optical booth at the
        Black Forest Star Party in August, Bill Burgess indicated that a 3.5"
        Feathertouch focuser might be offered as an option to the Signature Series'
        standard dual-speed focuser. Is this no longer being discussed as an option?

        I must say that I am very happy with the 3.5" Feathertouch focuser on the
        back of my TMB 100/800 CNC LWII. It's a pleasure to use!

        Eric Baumgartner
        Redding, CT USA

        On 01/05/07 1:02 PM, "astronomics1" <mike@...> wrote:

        > Actually I deleted the posts. The reason for the deletion was
        > hearsay. I will state again for the record, the focusers are not a
        > copy of a Feather Touch Focuser. Tom wouldn't allow that to happen.
        > He gets miffed when his designs appear elsewhere, so he wouldn't take
        > others. We will send one to Feather Touch and he is more then welcome
        > to tell everyone anything about the focuser in relation to the Feather
        > Touch. By the way, Markus doesn't have a scope to be critical of in
        > his possession.
        >
        > Clear Skies,
        > Mike/astronomics
        >
        > www.astronomics.com
        > www.cloudynights.com
      • astronomics1
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 5, 2007
          That was something Tom had thought about in passing, but never made
          concrete. Carrying dual inventories didn't make sense for a
          business the size of Tom's. Tom will have his letter down this
          weekend, I hope, and the answer will be out their for everyone.

          Mike/astronomics

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Eric Baumgartner <malkasten@...>
          wrote:

          > Mike:
          >
          > When we saw a prototype of the TMB130SS in the Burgess Optical
          booth at the
          > Black Forest Star Party in August, Bill Burgess indicated that a
          3.5"
          > Feathertouch focuser might be offered as an option to the
          Signature Series'
          > standard dual-speed focuser. Is this no longer being discussed as
          an option?

          > I must say that I am very happy with the 3.5" Feathertouch focuser
          on the
          > back of my TMB 100/800 CNC LWII. It's a pleasure to use!
          >
          > Eric Baumgartner
          > Redding, CT USA
          >

          > On 01/05/07 1:02 PM, "astronomics1" <mike@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Actually I deleted the posts. The reason for the deletion was
          > > hearsay. I will state again for the record, the focusers are
          not a
          > > copy of a Feather Touch Focuser. Tom wouldn't allow that to
          happen.
          > > He gets miffed when his designs appear elsewhere, so he wouldn't
          take
          > > others. We will send one to Feather Touch and he is more then
          welcome
          > > to tell everyone anything about the focuser in relation to the
          Feather
          > > Touch. By the way, Markus doesn't have a scope to be critical
          of in
          > > his possession.
          > >
          > > Clear Skies,
          > > Mike/astronomics
          > >
          > > www.astronomics.com
          > > www.cloudynights.com

        • APM-Telescopes Markus Ludes
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
            Hi Mike

            I see now several of your replies and always you point out you waiting for a solution from Thomas Back, right ?

            As far as I understood it from beginning on , Astronomics confirmed to make the 100% quality controle and send out only 100%
            perfect working telescopes, not TMB who is ill.

            Has this changed ?

            If it not changed, what happened to your 100% quality controle , please ?

            May you come now into a position where I have been more then 8 years and you learn a little bit about manufactors and subcontractors :-)

            good luck

            wrote:

            > Mike:
            >
            > When we saw a prototype of the TMB130SS in the Burgess Optical
            booth at the
            > Black Forest Star Party in August, Bill Burgess indicated that a
            3.5"
            > Feathertouch focuser might be offered as an option to the
            Signature Series'
            > standard dual-speed focuser. Is this no longer being discussed as
            an option?

            > I must say that I am very happy with the 3.5" Feathertouch focuser
            on the
            > back of my TMB 100/800 CNC LWII. It's a pleasure to use!
            >
            > Eric Baumgartner
            > Redding, CT USA
            >

            > On 01/05/07 1:02 PM, "astronomics1" <mike@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Actually I deleted the posts. The reason for the deletion was
            > > hearsay. I will state again for the record, the focusers are
            not a
            > > copy of a Feather Touch Focuser. Tom wouldn't allow that to
            happen.
            > > He gets miffed when his designs appear elsewhere, so he wouldn't
            take
            > > others. We will send one to Feather Touch and he is more then
            welcome
            > > to tell everyone anything about the focuser in relation to the
            Feather
            > > Touch. By the way, Markus doesn't have a scope to be critical
            of in
            > > his possession.
            > >
            > > Clear Skies,
            > > Mike/astronomics
            > >
            > > www.astronomics.com
            > > www.cloudynights.com

          • astronomics1
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
              Hi Markus,

              Thanks for your concern, but since you don't have anything to do with
              the 130 SS you shouldn't worry about it at all.

              The scopes are checked before they leave. Usually I spend an hour on
              each scope. I didn't really feel the need to take the focusers apart
              as they all felt fine before they left. Apparently the air shipping
              we send that at, at no extra charge, still isn't sufficient in same
              cases and the focusers get damaged in shipment. Since most of the
              focusers are fine, it doesn't seem to be that big and issue. However,
              Tom wants to make it right so he is coming up with a solution since it
              is his company.

              Speaking of Tom, how is his fund you had started coming along. You
              know the 5% of each sale you were setting aside. ;-)

              This is coming across as snippy and to be honest I meant it to be that
              way. I am a very nice person is doing stuff for Tom while he is hurt,
              but some people just don't want to see that happen and have to cast a
              shadow of doubt.

              Mike

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "APM-Telescopes Markus Ludes"

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                Thanks for your concern, but since you don't have anything to do with
                the 130 SS you shouldn't worry about it at all.

                Hi Mike

                partly you are right, this scopes are your business, but they have the name on it which we made with Thomas famous all over the world and it shall not be damaged by missing quality controle of products using the same on it, so I am worried a bit with right !

                Regards Thomas Back , we have our contact with each other, here you do not need to worrie

                regards
                Markus

                <apm_telescopes@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mike
                >
                > I see now several of your replies and always you point out you
                waiting for a solution from Thomas Back, right ?

                > As far as I understood it from beginning on , Astronomics confirmed
                to make the 100% quality controle and send out only 100%
                > perfect working telescopes, not TMB who is ill.
                >
                > Has this changed ?
                >
                > If it not changed, what happened to your 100% quality controle ,
                please ?

                > May you come now into a position where I have been more then 8 years
                and you learn a little bit about manufactors and subcontractors :-)

                > good luck

              • astronomics1
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                  No need to worry Markus. You know the products Tom puts his pencil to
                  always work out very well. Heck one customer says his 130 is easily
                  in the same league optically as his TMB designed 152. Tom will make
                  sure his companies name stays safe and sound.

                  Mike/astronomics

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                    Hi Mike

                    How can Thomas take care on products he designed but do not see 1 by 1 ?

                    Heck I know people who see in chinese achromats same no color as in japanese fluorite apos , my 2 cents to such words.

                    anyway good luck

                    <apm_telescopes@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  • astronomics1
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                      I'm sorry about this, but I can't help myself. Please don't try to
                      cast a negative light on my company or the people that work here. I
                      am fairly confident we have a grasp on color in scopes. I have been
                      working here since I was 6 and Pete Kron, the person that helps with
                      the optical checks, has been building scopes for several decades.
                      Plus Tom puts his faith in us.

                      Nuff said,

                      <apm_telescopes@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Mike
                      >
                      > How can Thomas take care on products he designed but do not see 1 by 1 ?
                      >
                      > Heck I know people who see in chinese achromats same no color as in
                      japanese fluorite apos , my 2 cents to such words.

                      > anyway good luck

                    • blandp11
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                        As I pointed out before to this comment in a different venue, if a
                        130mm APO is performing close to a 152mm APO, there is something
                        seriously wrong with the 152mm APO.

                        I'm sure the 130SS is a fine scope, but let's not go overboard with
                        hyperbole.

                        Philip

                        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "astronomics1" <mike@...> wrote:
                        > ... Heck one customer says his 130 is easily
                        > in the same league optically as his TMB designed 152. ...
                      • Alan French
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                          Hmmm. I am not quite sure I take the comment that way, but I can so how it
                          could be misconstrued. It sounds more like it says the optical quality of
                          the 130 is similar to the optical quality of the 152. I would certainly
                          agree that in comparisons of high quality APOs aperture is always a
                          "winner."

                          Clear skies, Alan

                          > As I pointed out before to this comment in a different venue, if a
                          > 130mm APO is performing close to a 152mm APO, there is something
                          > seriously wrong with the 152mm APO.
                          >
                          > I'm sure the 130SS is a fine scope, but let's not go overboard with
                          > hyperbole.
                          >
                          > Philip
                          >
                          > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "astronomics1" <mike@...> wrote:
                          > > ... Heck one customer says his 130 is easily
                          > > in the same league optically as his TMB designed 152. ...
                        • Mark
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "blandp11" <Blandp1@...> wrote:

                            > As I pointed out before to this comment in a different venue, if a
                            > 130mm APO is performing close to a 152mm APO, there is something
                            > seriously wrong with the 152mm APO.
                            >
                            > I'm sure the 130SS is a fine scope, but let's not go overboard with
                            > hyperbole.
                            >
                            > Philip

                            I think the comment was related to optical quality.
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                              >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "blandp11" <Blandp1@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > As I pointed out before to this comment in a different venue, if a
                              > 130mm APO is performing close to a 152mm APO, there is something
                              > seriously wrong with the 152mm APO.

                              I think most clear thinking people understand that "close to" doesn't
                              mean as well or better but in fact 'keeping up with' the larger scope,
                              given the difference in aperture. Even a small 80mm scope can give
                              signficant results if it's a quality APO. My TMB80/600 just blows me
                              away with the lunar views. In comparing my AP 160 Vs. my TMB 152 I
                              don't see a significant difference, even though the ap160 is the
                              larger instrument.

                              > I'm sure the 130SS is a fine scope, but let's not go overboard with
                              > hyperbole.

                              Why are you trying to censor this group?

                              Tim

                              > Philip

                            • Alan French
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                                Huh? I don't see that at all.

                                > > I'm sure the 130SS is a fine scope, but let's not go overboard with
                                > > hyperbole.
                                >
                                > Why are you trying to censor this group?
                              • tdavis011
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                                  Let's everyone try to cool down on this for a few days. Suffice to
                                  say that everyone here has a stake in the TMB name and reputation
                                  remaining intact, at least those of the group owning or selling TMB
                                  designed products. The need for a solution to a problem with on the
                                  TMB 130SS focuser has been aknowledged and is being worked on. If
                                  an answer does not come within a reasonable time, then, if someone
                                  has a positive suggestion on this, feel free to bring it up. At the
                                  very least, the optics, the most important part of the telescope,
                                  seem to be up to TMB standards. The mechanics are an easier issue
                                  to resolve for those that might have problems, than a misfigured lens.

                                  I would like to see this issue not develop into a full-scale war.

                                  Thanks, Tom Davis Moderator
                                • blandp11
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                                    The enthusiasm of having a new scope, especially one of the obviously
                                    fine optical quality of the TMB 130SS is a good thing. If a comment
                                    was made to the effect that it's optical quality is at least as good
                                    as the other TMB scopes that would be valid, and appears to be valid
                                    at least from the reports of the people that own the 130SS.

                                    But one way of reading the post, that a 130 is "Optically ... very
                                    close to ... TMB 152" is to draw the inference that not only is the
                                    quality close but that the views are very close. That is what I was
                                    reacting to and I stand by my reaction. I would have the same caveat
                                    if the statement was about the 130SS and the forthcoming 150SS - no
                                    way the 130SS will be very close visually.

                                    Philip
                                  • astronomics
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                                      Maybe I should have been clearer in my posting. I didn't think it would be
                                      taken so literally.

                                      The 130 is on an optical equal with the 152. Meaning the views are as he
                                      would expect from a triplet instrument designed by TMB. To me it would be
                                      like someone saying their new Takahashi 102 is on par with the FS128. I
                                      assume they mean the scope is optically as nice as their 128 not an equal as
                                      far as views go. My bad for not being more precise in my posting.

                                      Clear Skies,
                                      Mike/astronomics

                                      www.astronomics.com
                                      www.cloudynights.com

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                                        >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "blandp11" <Blandp1@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > The enthusiasm of having a new scope, especially one of the
                                        > obviously
                                        > fine optical quality of the TMB 130SS is a good thing. If a comment
                                        > was made to the effect that it's optical quality is at least as good
                                        > as the other TMB scopes that would be valid, and appears to be valid
                                        > at least from the reports of the people that own the 130SS.
                                        >
                                        > But one way of reading the post, that a 130 is "Optically ... very
                                        > close to ... TMB 152" is to draw the inference

                                        What post? I must have missed what you quoted above. Where is that
                                        posted? Indeed the original post # 32844 the statement is "in the
                                        same league optically as his TMB designed 152"

                                        >that not only is the
                                        > quality close but that the views are very close. That is what I was
                                        > reacting to and I stand by my reaction.

                                        > I would have the same caveat
                                        > if the statement was about the 130SS and the forthcoming 150SS - no
                                        > way the 130SS will be very close visually.

                                        The above statement appears to be your addition to this thread as I
                                        not read this in any the original posts on this TMB board (If I am
                                        wrong please correct me). In fact, the original post from Mike said
                                        "in the same league optically"; a perfectly reasonable statement.

                                        Rather than rain on anyone's new telescope parade I am happy to hear a
                                        new high quality optic is available at this price point. It's good to
                                        be more inclusive to the family of high end APOs.

                                        Personally I was reacting your comment:

                                        "I'm sure the 130SS is a fine scope, but let's not go
                                        overboard with hyperbole."

                                        who are you to tell people what to think or say?

                                        Tim
                                        "The glass is not half empty, it is not half full, it is indeed full"
                                      • Alan French
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                                          > Personally I was reacting your comment:
                                          >
                                          > "I'm sure the 130SS is a fine scope, but let's not go
                                          > overboard with hyperbole."
                                          >
                                          > who are you to tell people what to think or say?

                                          As I posted before, I think the comment was based on a misunderstanding of
                                          the comparison made between the 130 and the 152.

                                          How we get folks claiming an attempt to "censor" or tell people what to
                                          think or say is a mystery to me. I guess it must be cloudy and folks are
                                          getting rather snippish.

                                          Clear skies, Alan
                                        • blandp11
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                                            I am sorry Tim to add to the confusion. Mike was reporting a customer
                                            reaction from a post on CN of which I quoted the relevant part. It
                                            was much easier in SAA when all posts were in one place!

                                            In any case, as I mentioned I have no issue with saying the optical
                                            correction of the 130 matches or exceeds an older TMB, e.g. it's
                                            colour correction, figure and contrast are just as good. Wish someone
                                            would do a Roddier test on it so we could see some hard numbers though!

                                            I do have an issue with someone saying that the views through a high
                                            quality 130mm APO are very close to a high quality 152mm APO. Just
                                            ain't gonna happen, unless something is wrong with the larger scope.

                                            It does appear that there are more than one way of reading both the
                                            original post and Mikes as simply a statement of optical correction.
                                            As I already said I have no issue with that interpretation.

                                            Philip

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 6, 2007
                                              >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Alan French" <adfrench@...
                                              > wrote:
                                              > < snip >
                                              > I guess it must be cloudy and folks are
                                              > getting rather snippish.

                                              Nope, it's clear here. :-)

                                              I did get an interesting sequencial two frames of 7-Iris motion. With
                                              the TMB 228 it's very bright in a STL-11k.

                                              Take Care,

                                              Tim

                                              > Clear skies, Alane

                                            • mrgrytt
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 7, 2007
                                                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "blandp11" <Blandp1@...> wrote:

                                                > I do have an issue with someone saying that the views through a high
                                                > quality 130mm APO are very close to a high quality 152mm APO. Just
                                                > ain't gonna happen, unless something is wrong with the larger scope.

                                                There are some well known optics experts who would not agree with
                                                you on that. However, it would surely take a very superb example of a
                                                130mm lens to compare well with a typical high quality 152mm lens.
                                                Still, it is a moot point since the original comment was simply
                                                inferring that the level of optical excellence was similar between the
                                                two different aperture scopes.
                                                The resolution and light throughput advantages of larger scopes
                                                are always there but they are not the only factors that can come into
                                                play.

                                                Harvey
                                              • apm_telecopes
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 7, 2007
                                                  Hi Mike

                                                  I know customers who say they see no diffrent between Synta 80 mm ED and 80 mm LOMO,
                                                  i trust your statement below could be also about similar meaned.

                                                  If you use such a statement to describe the optical quality, then i have to ask you from my side
                                                  as competitior of the other TMB line to proove your stament with interferometrical testreport made in same
                                                  critical way as for the Russian TMB Apo's, then and only then I could accept your statement.

                                                  thanks

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 7, 2007
                                                    I'll ask Tom if he is ready to by a $75,00 Zygo so he can provide you
                                                    with a test report. I guess what clients are actually seeing with the
                                                    telescope is not as important as a piece of paper that tells you about
                                                    the optic.

                                                    Mike

                                                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "apm_telecopes"