TMB 130 Signature Series Field Flattener

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      My TMB 130SS arrived during Xmass I have been working through cloudy
      skies on some first light impressions (posting on Cloudy Nights).
      Bottomline: Great look and finish, excellent optics for both visual and
      CCD work, 4 stars with regard to performance/cost. I have included
      some first light images in the photo section (Jason's TMB Photos) as
      well see my FTP site for detail images of TMB 130SS
      (http://homepage.mac.com/jprovi57/LX200R_14_DRPROVI57/). Having some
      issues with the 4" focuser handling the heavy imaging train (a lot of
      weight!) - works fine for visual and light CCD cameras...the focuser
      issue is being worked out and should be fine soon.

      I was wondering if anyone has some idea what field flattener to use
      with this scope? I have a TMB 152 FF and wondering will this work ot
      improve the 130 SS curvature or will one the of the TMB 130 FF work on
      this scope?? Any suggestions appreciated

      Jason
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <drprovi57@...> wrote:
        >
        > My TMB 130SS arrived during Xmass I have been working through cloudy
        > skies on some first light impressions (posting on Cloudy Nights).

        Nice looking scope and a good review.

        > Bottomline: Great look and finish, excellent optics for both visual
        > and
        > CCD work, 4 stars with regard to performance/cost. I have included
        > some first light images in the photo section (Jason's TMB Photos) as
        > well see my FTP site for detail images of TMB 130SS
        > (http://homepage.mac.com/jprovi57/LX200R_14_DRPROVI57/). Having some
        > issues with the 4" focuser handling the heavy imaging train (a lot
        > of
        > weight!) - works fine for visual and light CCD cameras...the focuser
        > issue is being worked out and should be fine soon.

        I am curious about this. Since you have the 2'nd focuser it would
        seem to me you can lock down the 4" focuser once close to focus and
        this wouldn't be a problem.

        Some adjustments will clear this up I am sure.

        > I was wondering if anyone has some idea what field flattener to use
        > with this scope? I have a TMB 152 FF and wondering will this work
        > or improve the 130 SS curvature or will one the of the TMB 130 FF
        > work on this scope?? Any suggestions appreciated.

        I would give the 152 FF a go. I use mine on a TMB 228 and it works
        well for 35mm sized chip. You'll have to invest in the adapter to
        know for certain, but that shouldn't to much.

        FYI I am also seeing the weird 5 star noise in my STL11K. I hadn't
        tracked it down yet but I suspect the dark frames.

        > Jason

        Tim
      • Jason
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007

          Thanks for the recommendations

          turns out that even with screws locked there is still some flexure
          with the 4" focuser under heavy load (like a large image train) -
          will not be seen with visual or smaller CCD cameras or DSLRs..

          Will try out the TMB 152 FF as well

          Jason

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@...> wrote:

          > >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <drprovi57@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My TMB 130SS arrived during Xmass I have been working through
          cloudy
          > > skies on some first light impressions (posting on Cloudy
          Nights).

          > Nice looking scope and a good review.
          >
          > > Bottomline: Great look and finish, excellent optics for both
          visual
          > > and
          > > CCD work, 4 stars with regard to performance/cost. I have
          included
          > > some first light images in the photo section (Jason's TMB Photos)
          as
          > > well see my FTP site for detail images of TMB 130SS
          > > (http://homepage.mac.com/jprovi57/LX200R_14_DRPROVI57/). Having
          some
          > > issues with the 4" focuser handling the heavy imaging train (a
          lot
          > > of
          > > weight!) - works fine for visual and light CCD cameras...the
          focuser
          > > issue is being worked out and should be fine soon.
          > >

          > I am curious about this. Since you have the 2'nd focuser it would
          > seem to me you can lock down the 4" focuser once close to focus and
          > this wouldn't be a problem.
          >
          > Some adjustments will clear this up I am sure.
          >
          > > I was wondering if anyone has some idea what field flattener to
          use
          > > with this scope? I have a TMB 152 FF and wondering will this
          work
          > > or improve the 130 SS curvature or will one the of the TMB 130 FF
          > > work on this scope?? Any suggestions appreciated.
          > >

          > I would give the 152 FF a go. I use mine on a TMB 228 and it works
          > well for 35mm sized chip. You'll have to invest in the adapter to
          > know for certain, but that shouldn't to much.
          >
          > FYI I am also seeing the weird 5 star noise in my STL11K. I hadn't
          > tracked it down yet but I suspect the dark frames.
          >
          > > Jason
          >
          > Tim

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
            In regards to when and if a field flattener would be designed for
            the SS130 Thomas reply was "not yet but we have plans sometime in
            2007 to make available a field flattener for the TMB 130mm f/7 SS
            APO."
            Thinks Jason for making available the star photos through you're the
            SS130. I have been curious about the field flatness. By looking at
            your photos at full resolution it appears that the field is
            reasonably flat through about 93 arc minutes which is a larger field
            of view then a DSLR that would be capable of 89 arc minutes. I
            wonder how effective the William Optics 4'Field flattener/reducer
            for their new 132 Apo. would be on the 130. The optics for the132
            was designed by TMB as was the field flattener.
            If anyone finds a flattener that works well please post the results
            or better yet photo.
            My interest is in imaging only so
            As soon as an effective flattener is found or manufactured this
            scope would be a nice match for a STL 1100 if the Focuser will
            handle the wt..

            Robert

          • digidodi
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
              Well, i tried the 68mm WO field flattener (with 4 inch threads) on
              their FLT110 and stars are points to the edge of the field with an EOS
              5D. Since WO sells it for the 132mm f7 as well, I don't see why it
              wouldn't work unless the two triplets would be extremely different in
              design, which I dare to doubt.

              Dodi