Re: Baader/Zeiss two inch diagonal

  • Rich Wood
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2006
      Tom;

      I would also note that according to my information from others a high
      quality prism diagonal such as the Baader will not perform any
      differently than a mirror version at low to medium powers. It is only
      going to be at high powers that you might note a visible performance
      difference.

      Rich Wood

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tommack7882" <tommack@...> wrote:

      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Wally;
      > >
      > > Some APO scopes such as the Zeiss APQs I have read were corrected
      > such
      > > that they were designed to work with the Zeiss prism diagonal. I
      > > believe that I have read that they were undercorrected when used
      > with
      > > a mirror diagonal.
      > >
      > > Several TEC 140 owners in the TEC group have reported very slightly
      > > improved high power resolution with the Baader prism diagonals on
      > the
      > > planets, either the old 2" version or the current T2, as compared
      > > ANY mirror diagonal they have tried in the scopes.
      > >
      > > Rich Wood
      > >

      > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, Wally Lucas <wl241@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Tom
      > > >
      > > > Why do you prefer a prism over a mirror diagonal? I agree with
      > > you as a Multicoated prism diagonal stays cleaner longer and it
      > very
      > > easy to clean and is more likely not to get scratched.
      > > >
      > > > Wally
      > > >
      > > >Wally,
      > Yes Rich got it right. I have a large F6.6 refractor which is ever
      > so slightly under corrected. The prism adds a very small amount of
      > overcorrection in fast scopes(<F/7)which in my case, zeroes out the
      > aberration. I also use it exclusively in my Mewlon 300. I like the
      > detail better in a prism over a mirror and like a dielectric
      > diagonal, an excellent multicoated prism is almost indestructable
      > and light transmission is about the same as a dielectric ~ 99%.
      >
      > Best,
      > Tom

    • Teuwen Karel
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2006
        Hi Ivan,

        That is a very beautiful shot of the Iris, congrats !! It looks like the
        350D is a good performer and off course your TMB too, but that we did know
        already. Maybe it's a pity we can't see your pictures at a higher
        resolution, can we ? I assume that you have very dark skies there in Hungary
        and especially from your place or not ? Are there good places for building a
        remote scope in Hungary. A friend of mine is looking for such a place in
        Hungary and not too far away from the border of Austria.

        Regards

        Karel Teuwen

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2006
          Thanks, Karel!

          My sky is not as dark as you would think. But there are moderately dark
          places (LVM <7, or M33 is naked eye), but a little bit hard to find one,
          which fits all the expectations for build a remote observatory. If I were
          you I may try to find a place in Spain...
          I don't want to post the full image in large size, because I think it is
          better to zoom into the the most interesting part of the image. If you want
          to see some images in larger size, email me, and I will send you a copy
          ofcourse. Later I would like to sell prints, and don't want to post
          printable resolution images to the internet. I hope you understand it.

          Ivan

          At 10:57 2006. 11. 01.t Conve, you wrote:

          >Hi Ivan,
          >
          >That is a very beautiful shot of the Iris, congrats !! It looks like the
          >350D is a good performer and off course your TMB too, but that we did know
          >already. Maybe it's a pity we can't see your pictures at a higher
          >resolution, can we ? I assume that you have very dark skies there in Hungary
          >and especially from your place or not ? Are there good places for building a
          >remote scope in Hungary. A friend of mine is looking for such a place in
          >Hungary and not too far away from the border of Austria.
          >
          >Regards
          >
          >Karel Teuwen
          >
          >_____

        • Ivan Eder
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2006
            Hi Karel,

            >Hi Ivan,
            >...Maybe it's a pity we can't see your pictures at a higher
            >resolution, can we ?

            This is the reason what I described, see this:

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/66572654@N00/

            Those are my own images, this guy stole them.

            Ivan