Re: Tele Vue Starbeam on TMB-105?

  • ruudschmeitz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8, 2002

      http://www.pcsincnet.com/astronomy/accessories/tmbapadapterplates.html

      > You may want to contact Mark Keitel at: mailto:mkeitel@t...
      >
      > Mark purchased a set of the adapter plates with my 105. He does not
      > use the top plate. He may be willing to sell it to you.
      >
      > Mark

      Hi Mark,

      I'm also looking for a (nicely machined) adapter plate to mount my
      TV StarBeam on my TMB 105/650.
      Do you accept orders for just the top plate, or do you only sell
      them per set ?

      Ruud Schmeitz
      Universiteit Maastricht
    • Mark Jenkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 8, 2002
        Hi Ruud,

        If I receive enough orders for just one of the plates I would make a
        production run of that one particular plate.

        Problem is setup costs. If I make only one it would cost way more than
        is justified.

        So, if anyone wants to get an adapter plate let me know so I can
        calculate the piece price.

        If I can get at least 4 or 5 orders I think the cost may be
        "reasonable", relatively speaking of course.

        Polishing and anodizing adds quite a bit to the cost so if you are not
        that concerned with "appearances" then that would help save some money,
        and time.

        Mark Jenkins
        http://www.bigcigarastronomy.com

        On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 06:24 AM, ruudschmeitz wrote:

        > Hi Mark,
        >
        > I'm also looking for a (nicely machined) adapter plate to mount my
        > TV StarBeam on my TMB 105/650.
        > Do you accept orders for just the top plate, or do you only sell
        > them per set ?
        >
        > Ruud Schmeitz
        > Universiteit Maastricht
      • illuminetics
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 8, 2002
          Hi Mark,

          In order to mount the Starbeam on the TMB-105 top flats of the tube
          rings, are the AP DOVE08 ($85) and the AP SB0800 7" sling-bar ($25)
          required in addition to the plate you describe?

          Randy

          --- In tmboptical@y..., Mark Jenkins <markj@p...> wrote:
          > Hi Ruud,
          >
          > If I receive enough orders for just one of the plates I would make
          > production run of that one particular plate.
          >
          > Problem is setup costs. If I make only one it would cost way more
          than
          > is justified.
          >
          > So, if anyone wants to get an adapter plate let me know so I can
          > calculate the piece price.
          >
          > If I can get at least 4 or 5 orders I think the cost may be
          > "reasonable", relatively speaking of course.
          >
          > Polishing and anodizing adds quite a bit to the cost so if you are
          not
          > that concerned with "appearances" then that would help save some
          money,
          > and time.
          >
          > Mark Jenkins
          > http://www.bigcigarastronomy.com
          >
          > On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 06:24 AM, ruudschmeitz wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Mark,
          > >
          > > I'm also looking for a (nicely machined) adapter plate to mount my
          > > TV StarBeam on my TMB 105/650.
          > > Do you accept orders for just the top plate, or do you only sell
          > > them per set ?
          > >
          > > Ruud Schmeitz
          > > Universiteit Maastricht
        • Mark Jenkins
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9, 2002
            Hi Randy,

            That is how I designed them. It allows the quick release of many
            different types of piggy back equipment. Did you take a look at the
            photos? If not, here is the url again:

            http://www.pcsincnet.com/astronomy/accessories/tmbapadapterplates.html

            I suppose one could just use a bolt in of the many holes that were
            designed to mount to the GIRO II DX or the AP DOVE plates but that would
            not be recommended as the threads on the TMB rings tend to be
            susceptible to stripping due to the soft nature of the aluminum alloy.
            You would have to unbolt the plate after each use to remove the
            StarBeam. Very inconvenient if you ask me. These plates were designed
            to make changing out piggy back accessories as painless as possible and
            that's why I designed them to work with the AP DOVE and Slider.

            If the hole spacing and thread dimensions of the rings were setup for
            the AP DOVE system I would have never even considered designing and
            producing the top plate.

            The bottom plate was designed to help better balance the 105/650 on an
            AP 400/600/900/1200 series GEM. The Holes for mounting to the GIRO II DX
            were an "afterthought" and were added to the plates at the request of
            one of the first customers. The GIRO mount feature helped to sell the
            remaining lot very quickly. Using the bottom plate (or top plate for
            that matter) with the AP DOVE system helps tremendously in balancing the
            105/650 when using the GIRO II DX.

            HTH