Re: [tmboptical] Re: TMB 175 vrs. TMB 180

  • Mark Lancaster
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 19, 2000

      ratboy99@... wrote:

      I was unaware of this model (180mm). I was curious as to when someone would
      have available such a refractor for visual observing. 7.1", eh?  It's in the
      right price range. Say, how would a person get something like this mounted
      equatorially for visual use for under $3,000? What do you suppose the typical
      wavefront error is?
       The Mountain Instruments MI-250 might be sufficient visually, as might a used Byers mount. I have both the G-11 and an AP 1200, and I can tell you that the G-11 is definitely out out of the running. You could *place it* on a G-11, but it would be really pushing it, due to the weight and moment.

      Mark

    • ratboy99@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 19, 2000
        In a message dated 10/19/00 8:29:36 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
        rander3127@... writes:

        << I noticed on Astronomic's ad in Sky and Tel the two scopes
        are listed as both being triplets. I was wondering about the
        price difference, the 175 being $9990 and the 180 being $6990?
        -Rich

        The website lists the 180 F9 as being $8490.00. That's a big difference,
        which one is it?

        Bill
      • ratboy99@aol.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 19, 2000
            Well, the price on the webpage is correct. There was a price
            increase on the 1st of Septmeber. Ads for the magazines usually need
            to be in 1-2 months in advance, so the price increase caught us after
            the ad was at the printer and could not be changed. I do apologize
            for any confusion.
            Clear Skies,
            Mike/astronomics

          • ratboy99@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 19, 2000
              In a message dated 10/19/00 8:46:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
              questions@... writes:

              << Well, the price on the webpage is correct. There was a price
              increase on the 1st of Septmeber. Ads for the magazines usually need
              to be in 1-2 months in advance, so the price increase caught us after
              the ad was at the printer and could not be changed. I do apologize
              for any confusion.
              Clear Skies,
              Mike/astronomics >>

              No problem, it looks like a great scope, just what I may be looking for a bit
              down the road here. Gives me something new to think about anyway.

              Bill
            • TMBoptical@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 19, 2000
                --- In tmboptical@egroups.com, ratboy99@a... wrote:
                >In a message dated 10/19/00 12:02:56 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
                >demary@a... writes:
                >
                ><< I remain very pleased the EDstar.
                > It is the choice for someone who wants the aperture, contrast,
                > and sharpness, and is willing to give the ultimate in color
                > correction, which is not needed for visual observing. >>

                Thank you Tom. You have summed it up better than I could.

                >I was unaware of this model (180mm). I was curious as to when
                >someone would have available such a refractor for visual observing.
                >7.1", eh? It's in the right price range. Say, how would a person
                >get something like this mounted equatorially for visual use for
                >under $3,000?

                A used AP 800 works like a charm. At about $2500 used, it is a
                great choice.

                >What do you suppose the typical wavefront error is?

                The 180mm F/9 lenses are coming in with quite high Strehl
                ratios, around .96 to the upper .98's.

                Thomas
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 19, 2000
                  I know 2 ways out of this situation:

                  1, we offer an high quality German equatorial mount with about 70 pound loading capacity which can be upgrated to Goto Drive. The newest versions received now outstanding customer reports. It is the new Gemini 40 with drive systems made in Germany, the standart dual axis drive would be the Baader Sinus III (used sometimes by AP) and the Goto would be the FS-2. With standart drive , it goes for about $ 3,000

                  2, For Apos 7" and 8" size we started now an new Giro Altazimuth Mount with 3 times larger size than the well know Giro 2 Deluxe. I have ordered now 10 samples. This mount will carry more than 100 pound telescopes and can be upgrated with the Dobdriver, which makes them to the most compact most lightweight and most powerfull transportable driven mount for the smallest money on the market.

                  best wishes

                  Markus

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 20, 2000
                    Okay Markus, if you can get me a Giro that will hold -- and hold
                    steady enough to use reasonably high power - for my TMB 203 f/9, how
                    soon can you ship it to me? What would we use for a base, a portable
                    pier (such as an AP) or tripod? You know me, I think EQs for
                    planetary and Lunar are a royal pain in the a--. If you really can
                    get this to work (and I assume that we can use some form of mounting
                    plate for the standard 203 rings?) then lets get it done
                    YESTERDAY!!!!! Dave

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 21, 2000
                      This larger mount is designed only for me in smaller quantitys, excapt it
                      will find an market for more units. The mount is again designed with FEM
                      (Finite Element Software) to calculate any possible torsion. It will use
                      very strong bearings and will be finaly stronger than your HGM 200 mount.
                      Now which tripod or pier will be used is the customer desiciion. We will do
                      the matching for you.

                      We offer an metaltripod which looks same as our Giro woddtripod just 2 times
                      stronger. Piers and Tripods from Losmandy and AP also possible. Whatever is
                      required, we can match the big Giro to your specific pier or tripod.

                      give us about 2~3 month time and now in the beginning of the designing all
                      your wishes for it.

                      best wishes

                      Markus