Re: Some DSO's and Planet Shots with the TMB 152

  • dietmar hager
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30, 2006
      hi Wade,

      whow! that`S an impressive setup!
      the 152tmb on this huge mount!
      the images are very nice!
      concwerning resolution it`s simply amazing what a 6" is capable to
      reveal on planetry images!
      if I may: the colors in the cluster images could possibly need a
      little more depth,...at least on my screen here it seems like this.

      what software algorhythm do U use for image acquisition, colr
      conversion, stacking and processing?

      congrats on Your equipment!
      best regards
      Dietmar

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > Here's some images I've taken with my new TMB 152 the past couple
      of
      > months since it arrived:
      > M13:
      > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m13.htm
      >
      > M92:
      > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m92.htm
      >
      > M56:
      > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m56.htm
      >
      > Jupiter opposition this past summer:
      > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/jupiter1.htm
      >
      > NGC 6946:
      > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
      >
      > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
      > Lumenera webcam:
      > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/
      >
      > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
      > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon, and
      > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
      > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
      > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Wade Van Arsdale
      > TMB 152
      > Little Rock, AR., USA

    • dietmar hager
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 30, 2006
        ...ps: sorry Wade, I have just found the answer to my question in
        Your webpage,...
        (-;

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
          Wade,

          Thanks for that explanation; I might give it a try on my 130 when I get
          the chance. I bought mine for the RC when ever I am financially able to get
          it operational. I have been so far behind because of the Heat Wave that
          lasted over two months, I have not had the chance to do any observing or
          imaging. I picked up a Pyxis image rotator on A-mart last week so I upgraded
          to Sky 6 and bought CCDAutoPilot 3,

          Maxpoint, and PemPro, so I will eventually get it set up for automated
          imaging. I guess all I have left to get is CCDStack and CCDInspector. I
          guess my learning curve has just got a little steeper!

          Terry

          http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/

          _____

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
            >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@...
            > wrote:
            >
            > Hi all,
            > Here's some images I've taken with my new TMB 152 the past couple of
            > months since it arrived:

            I'd say the tMB 152 is in good hands. The Jupiter shot shows some
            very good detail, especially considering how low in the sky it was
            this year. The Jupiter shots on your website are really outstanding.
            The comparison of IR Vs IR-blocked was interesting and informative
            (no I won't say 'eye-opener'). The clusters shots are nicely resolved
            and the NGC 6946 is my favorite. I'm with Dietmar, you have a nice
            looking setup.

            Tim

            > M13:
            > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m13.htm
            >
            > M92:
            > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m92.htm
            >
            > M56:
            > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m56.htm
            >
            > Jupiter opposition this past summer:
            > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/jupiter1.htm
            >
            > NGC 6946:
            > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
            >
            > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
            > Lumenera webcam:
            > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/
            >
            > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
            > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon, and
            > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
            > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
            > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Wade Van Arsdale
            > TMB 152
            > Little Rock, AR., USA

          • Wade Van Arsdale
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
              Hi Terry,
              Don't know where you live, but I hear you on the heat. It's been
              brutal down here in AR. I pretty much packed in the astro activities
              for the past month when we were topping 100 on a regular basis, and
              humidities to match. Much better weather down here now, so I'm
              hoping to get some more shots in soon. Sounds like you have a very
              nice imaging setup. That's going to be a lot of fun to image with!

              Cheers,
              Wade

              /////////////////////
              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

              > Wade,
              >
              > Thanks for that explanation; I might give it a try on my 130
              when I get
              > the chance. I bought mine for the RC when ever I am financially
              able to get
              > it operational. I have been so far behind because of the Heat Wave
              that
              > lasted over two months, I have not had the chance to do any
              observing or
              > imaging. I picked up a Pyxis image rotator on A-mart last week so
              I upgraded
              > to Sky 6 and bought CCDAutoPilot 3,
              >
              > Maxpoint, and PemPro, so I will eventually get it set up for
              automated
              > imaging. I guess all I have left to get is CCDStack and
              CCDInspector. I
              > guess my learning curve has just got a little steeper!
              >

              > Terry
              >
              > http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/
              >
              > _____

            • Wade Van Arsdale
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                Thanks Dietmar. I can't wait to see your finished MGC 7331. It's
                already better than anything I've ever shot. It should be a beauty!
                That folded tube is a real killer for imaging. I hope to have one
                someday if the wife doesn't kill me first for buying all this astro
                gear!

                I kind of split the difference on color depth. On my Sony LCD
                screen it has more color, but less on my laptop pc, so I just hit
                the middle with it. Hard to tell sometimes how much is enough.

                Cheers,
                Wade

                ////////////////

                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "dietmar hager"
                <dietmar.hager@...> wrote:

                > hi Wade,
                >
                > whow! that`S an impressive setup!
                > the 152tmb on this huge mount!
                > the images are very nice!
                > concwerning resolution it`s simply amazing what a 6" is capable to
                > reveal on planetry images!
                > if I may: the colors in the cluster images could possibly need a
                > little more depth,...at least on my screen here it seems like this.
                >
                > what software algorhythm do U use for image acquisition, colr
                > conversion, stacking and processing?
                >
                > congrats on Your equipment!
                > best regards
                > Dietmar
                >

                > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi all,
                > > Here's some images I've taken with my new TMB 152 the past
                couple
                > of
                > > months since it arrived:
                > > M13:
                > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m13.htm
                > >
                > > M92:
                > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m92.htm
                > >
                > > M56:
                > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m56.htm
                > >
                > > Jupiter opposition this past summer:
                > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/jupiter1.htm
                > >
                > > NGC 6946:
                > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
                > >
                > > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
                > > Lumenera webcam:
                > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/
                > >
                > > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
                > > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon,
                and
                > > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
                > > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
                > > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > Wade Van Arsdale
                > > TMB 152
                > > Little Rock, AR., USA

              • Wade Van Arsdale
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                  Thanks Tim, I've been enjoying the group's fine images for awhile
                  now, and I'm glad I could finally get around to getting something
                  decent enough that I could share it back to the group. Keep 'em
                  coming everyone. There are definitely some impressive imagers
                  hanging out here. Having a TMB/APM scope sure doesn't hurt either!

                  Cheers,
                  Wade

                  //////////////////

                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@...> wrote:

                  > >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@
                  > > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi all,
                  > > Here's some images I've taken with my new TMB 152 the past
                  couple of
                  > > months since it arrived:
                  >
                  > I'd say the tMB 152 is in good hands. The Jupiter shot shows some
                  > very good detail, especially considering how low in the sky it was
                  > this year. The Jupiter shots on your website are really
                  outstanding.
                  > The comparison of IR Vs IR-blocked was interesting and informative
                  > (no I won't say 'eye-opener'). The clusters shots are nicely
                  resolved
                  > and the NGC 6946 is my favorite. I'm with Dietmar, you have a nice
                  > looking setup.
                  >

                  > Tim
                  >
                  > > M13:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m13.htm
                  > >
                  > > M92:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m92.htm
                  > >
                  > > M56:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m56.htm
                  > >
                  > > Jupiter opposition this past summer:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/jupiter1.htm
                  > >
                  > > NGC 6946:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
                  > >
                  > > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
                  > > Lumenera webcam:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/
                  > >
                  > > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
                  > > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon,
                  and
                  > > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
                  > > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
                  > > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Wade Van Arsdale
                  > > TMB 152
                  > > Little Rock, AR., USA

                • Wade Van Arsdale
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                    Hi Wayne,
                    Unfortunately, that was the only time I had for imaging Jupiter this
                    year due to time constraints with my job. I hope to get better ones
                    next year. I don't have any "high-res" versions of this batch.

                    The images were optimized for a 1024 x 768 pixel screen size. They
                    will look bigger on that resolution or lower than say, a 1280 x
                    1024 screen or above. So some of it may be relative to the screen
                    resolution you are using if you are on a high-res screen. I also had
                    to shrink them down about another 30% due to so-so atmospheric seeing
                    the nights they were made, and the low altitude of Jupiter this
                    year. At native size, they just didn't look as good....too blurry
                    even after heavy processing in Registax, and some of it is no doubt
                    my own learning curve as well.

                    I eventually learned that the scope's optics are good enough to
                    handle 4X, so I've converted from 2.5X to 4X now, for a slightly
                    bigger-size image. I'm chomping at the bit to get a shot at Saturn
                    this winter. The Lumenera camera really shows some promise for
                    getting good shots through the TMB with it. It's got a pretty tiny
                    pixel micron size (4.4 microns), which should make for some good
                    high-resolution imaging under good sky conditions when used with the
                    4X Powermate.

                    I think the planet disk sizes are always going to run a little
                    smaller with my model than an SCT imager, or say, Dietmar's rig as a
                    comparison, due to the shorter native focal length of my tube. You
                    can only compensate just so far with image amplification until it
                    starts to break down as you know, so I'll just take what I can get
                    shooting at 4800mm (with the 4X) and try to maximize that the best I
                    can. I may try 5X at some point, but its getting pretty close to
                    the edge of diminishing returns at 4X with my typical seeing here.

                    Thanks for taking a look!

                    Regards,
                    Wade

                    //////////

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                      Wade,

                      I was born and raised in Fort Worth, but I moved to a little town
                      called Munday about 2&1/2 years ago; it is about 80 miles north of Abilene.
                      The skies in my backyard are about mag 6.5 and about 7 to 7.5 five miles
                      outside of town. It has been a long struggle trying to get the system up and
                      running, I was at the point of first light when the heat wave hit. After I
                      catch up on all my chores, I am hoping it will not take long to get some
                      data. I have a TMB130/780 on a LXD750 with a Megrez II 80ED on top. My
                      camera is a ST10XME with Astrodon ha & crgb filters. Eventually I will put
                      them on the RC and use the LXD750 for my C-14 for visual observing, when
                      that happens, I will be able to sell my 12 inch LX200 Classic.

                      "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      152

                      > > Hi all,
                      > > Here's some images I've taken with my new TMB 152 the past
                      couple
                      > of
                      > > months since it arrived:
                      > > M13:
                      > > http://www.compubui <http://www.compubui
                      > <http://www.compubui <http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m13.htm>
                      ld.com/astro/m13.htm> ld.com/astro/m13.htm>
                      > > ld.com/astro/m13.htm
                      > >
                      > > M92:
                      > > http://www.compubui <http://www.compubui
                      > <http://www.compubui <http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m92.htm>
                      ld.com/astro/m92.htm> ld.com/astro/m92.htm>
                      > > ld.com/astro/m92.htm
                      > >
                      > > M56:
                      > > http://www.compubui <http://www.compubui
                      > <http://www.compubui <http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m56.htm>
                      ld.com/astro/m56.htm> ld.com/astro/m56.htm>

                      ld.com/astro/jupiter1.htm>
                      ld.com/astro/jupiter1.htm>
                      > > ld.com/astro/jupiter1.htm
                      > >
                      > > NGC 6946:
                      > > http://www.compubui <http://www.compubui
                      > <http://www.compubui <http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm>
                      ld.com/astro/ngc6946.htm>
                      ld.com/astro/ngc6946.htm>
                      > > ld.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
                      > >
                      > > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
                      > > Lumenera webcam:
                      > > http://www.compubui <http://www.compubui
                      > <http://www.compubui <http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/>
                      ld.com/astro/download/> ld.com/astro/download/>
                      > > ld.com/astro/download/
                      > >
                      > > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
                      > > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon,
                      and
                      > > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
                      > > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
                      > > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > > Wade Van Arsdale
                      > > TMB 152
                      > > Little Rock, AR., USA

                    • Wade Van Arsdale
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                        Hi Terry,
                        Yes, I'd call it not only "Big Sky Country", but also "Good Sky
                        Country" out there. I try to get out to NM as often as I can to
                        enjoy their great skies too. Just can't get that here in my neck of
                        the woods.

                        Cheers,
                        Wade