Re: Some DSO's and Planet Shots with the TMB 152

  • Wade Van Arsdale
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30, 2006
      Hi Terry,
      Thanks! Yes, I agree...2000mm and up is what most say the AO-7 is
      best used for. It's a combination of two or three things in my
      case: 1) I'm an SCT imager so it's become a habit with the AO-7.
      2) I frequently have some pretty bad seeing conditions at my
      location and the AO does seem to help slightly with this even at
      1200mm, and 3) even at 1200mm, I've seen repeatedley that the
      overall guide error is cut in half with the AO-7 vs. without it.

      Whether that would actually show up in image quality or not I don't
      know because it's already below the typical FWMH seeing conditions
      and pixel resolution I'm shooting at, but it's effects can easily be
      seen in the guider's error readout, so I just keep the AO-7 around
      as a way to make sure I'm maximizing my autoguiding as much as
      possible. It seems to also do a slightly better job when using the
      AO-7 dithering function while guiding than with just the camera's own
      dithering function by itself. I'm pretty sold on the AO-7 due to
      these reasons even for my refractor imaging with the TMB.

      I've got a ways to go before I can match the efforts of some of the
      other fine imagers on the group, but I enjoy it, and that's the
      name of the game....it's great relaxation for me from a very
      stressful job. I'm sure I'm not alone here on that count!

      Cheers,
      Wade

      //////////

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

      > Wade,
      >
      > A nice group of images; I was surprised to see you using the
      AO-7 with

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 30, 2006
        hi Wade,

        whow! that`S an impressive setup!
        the 152tmb on this huge mount!
        the images are very nice!
        concwerning resolution it`s simply amazing what a 6" is capable to
        reveal on planetry images!
        if I may: the colors in the cluster images could possibly need a
        little more depth,...at least on my screen here it seems like this.

        what software algorhythm do U use for image acquisition, colr
        conversion, stacking and processing?

        congrats on Your equipment!
        best regards
        Dietmar

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Here's some images I've taken with my new TMB 152 the past couple
        of
        > months since it arrived:
        > M13:
        > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m13.htm
        >
        > M92:
        > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m92.htm
        >
        > M56:
        > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m56.htm
        >
        > Jupiter opposition this past summer:
        > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/jupiter1.htm
        >
        > NGC 6946:
        > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
        >
        > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
        > Lumenera webcam:
        > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/
        >
        > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
        > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon, and
        > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
        > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
        > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Wade Van Arsdale
        > TMB 152
        > Little Rock, AR., USA

      • dietmar hager
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 30, 2006
          ...ps: sorry Wade, I have just found the answer to my question in
          Your webpage,...
          (-;

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
            Wade,

            Thanks for that explanation; I might give it a try on my 130 when I get
            the chance. I bought mine for the RC when ever I am financially able to get
            it operational. I have been so far behind because of the Heat Wave that
            lasted over two months, I have not had the chance to do any observing or
            imaging. I picked up a Pyxis image rotator on A-mart last week so I upgraded
            to Sky 6 and bought CCDAutoPilot 3,

            Maxpoint, and PemPro, so I will eventually get it set up for automated
            imaging. I guess all I have left to get is CCDStack and CCDInspector. I
            guess my learning curve has just got a little steeper!

            --- In tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
              >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@...
              > wrote:
              >
              > Hi all,
              > Here's some images I've taken with my new TMB 152 the past couple of
              > months since it arrived:

              I'd say the tMB 152 is in good hands. The Jupiter shot shows some
              very good detail, especially considering how low in the sky it was
              this year. The Jupiter shots on your website are really outstanding.
              The comparison of IR Vs IR-blocked was interesting and informative
              (no I won't say 'eye-opener'). The clusters shots are nicely resolved
              and the NGC 6946 is my favorite. I'm with Dietmar, you have a nice
              looking setup.

              Tim

              > M13:
              > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m13.htm
              >
              > M92:
              > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m92.htm
              >
              > M56:
              > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m56.htm
              >
              > Jupiter opposition this past summer:
              > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/jupiter1.htm
              >
              > NGC 6946:
              > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
              >
              > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
              > Lumenera webcam:
              > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/
              >
              > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
              > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon, and
              > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
              > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
              > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Wade Van Arsdale
              > TMB 152
              > Little Rock, AR., USA

            • Wade Van Arsdale
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                Hi Terry,
                Don't know where you live, but I hear you on the heat. It's been
                brutal down here in AR. I pretty much packed in the astro activities
                for the past month when we were topping 100 on a regular basis, and
                humidities to match. Much better weather down here now, so I'm
                hoping to get some more shots in soon. Sounds like you have a very
                nice imaging setup. That's going to be a lot of fun to image with!

                Cheers,
                Wade

                /////////////////////

              • Wade Van Arsdale
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                  Thanks Dietmar. I can't wait to see your finished MGC 7331. It's
                  already better than anything I've ever shot. It should be a beauty!
                  That folded tube is a real killer for imaging. I hope to have one
                  someday if the wife doesn't kill me first for buying all this astro
                  gear!

                  I kind of split the difference on color depth. On my Sony LCD
                  screen it has more color, but less on my laptop pc, so I just hit
                  the middle with it. Hard to tell sometimes how much is enough.

                  Cheers,
                  Wade

                  ////////////////

                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "dietmar hager"
                  <dietmar.hager@...> wrote:

                  > hi Wade,
                  >
                  > whow! that`S an impressive setup!
                  > the 152tmb on this huge mount!
                  > the images are very nice!
                  > concwerning resolution it`s simply amazing what a 6" is capable to
                  > reveal on planetry images!
                  > if I may: the colors in the cluster images could possibly need a
                  > little more depth,...at least on my screen here it seems like this.
                  >
                  > what software algorhythm do U use for image acquisition, colr
                  > conversion, stacking and processing?
                  >
                  > congrats on Your equipment!
                  > best regards
                  > Dietmar
                  >

                  > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi all,
                  > > Here's some images I've taken with my new TMB 152 the past
                  couple
                  > of
                  > > months since it arrived:
                  > > M13:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m13.htm
                  > >
                  > > M92:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m92.htm
                  > >
                  > > M56:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m56.htm
                  > >
                  > > Jupiter opposition this past summer:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/jupiter1.htm
                  > >
                  > > NGC 6946:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
                  > >
                  > > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
                  > > Lumenera webcam:
                  > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/
                  > >
                  > > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
                  > > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon,
                  and
                  > > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
                  > > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
                  > > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Wade Van Arsdale
                  > > TMB 152
                  > > Little Rock, AR., USA

                • Wade Van Arsdale
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                    Thanks Tim, I've been enjoying the group's fine images for awhile
                    now, and I'm glad I could finally get around to getting something
                    decent enough that I could share it back to the group. Keep 'em
                    coming everyone. There are definitely some impressive imagers
                    hanging out here. Having a TMB/APM scope sure doesn't hurt either!

                    Cheers,
                    Wade

                    //////////////////

                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@...> wrote:

                    > >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@
                    > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi all,
                    > > Here's some images I've taken with my new TMB 152 the past
                    couple of
                    > > months since it arrived:
                    >
                    > I'd say the tMB 152 is in good hands. The Jupiter shot shows some
                    > very good detail, especially considering how low in the sky it was
                    > this year. The Jupiter shots on your website are really
                    outstanding.
                    > The comparison of IR Vs IR-blocked was interesting and informative
                    > (no I won't say 'eye-opener'). The clusters shots are nicely
                    resolved
                    > and the NGC 6946 is my favorite. I'm with Dietmar, you have a nice
                    > looking setup.
                    >

                    > Tim
                    >
                    > > M13:
                    > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m13.htm
                    > >
                    > > M92:
                    > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m92.htm
                    > >
                    > > M56:
                    > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/m56.htm
                    > >
                    > > Jupiter opposition this past summer:
                    > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/jupiter1.htm
                    > >
                    > > NGC 6946:
                    > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
                    > >
                    > > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
                    > > Lumenera webcam:
                    > > http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/
                    > >
                    > > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
                    > > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon,
                    and
                    > > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
                    > > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
                    > > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers,
                    > > Wade Van Arsdale
                    > > TMB 152
                    > > Little Rock, AR., USA

                  • Wade Van Arsdale
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                      Hi Wayne,
                      Unfortunately, that was the only time I had for imaging Jupiter this
                      year due to time constraints with my job. I hope to get better ones
                      next year. I don't have any "high-res" versions of this batch.

                      The images were optimized for a 1024 x 768 pixel screen size. They
                      will look bigger on that resolution or lower than say, a 1280 x
                      1024 screen or above. So some of it may be relative to the screen
                      resolution you are using if you are on a high-res screen. I also had
                      to shrink them down about another 30% due to so-so atmospheric seeing
                      the nights they were made, and the low altitude of Jupiter this
                      year. At native size, they just didn't look as good....too blurry
                      even after heavy processing in Registax, and some of it is no doubt
                      my own learning curve as well.

                      I eventually learned that the scope's optics are good enough to
                      handle 4X, so I've converted from 2.5X to 4X now, for a slightly
                      bigger-size image. I'm chomping at the bit to get a shot at Saturn
                      this winter. The Lumenera camera really shows some promise for
                      getting good shots through the TMB with it. It's got a pretty tiny
                      pixel micron size (4.4 microns), which should make for some good
                      high-resolution imaging under good sky conditions when used with the
                      4X Powermate.

                      I think the planet disk sizes are always going to run a little
                      smaller with my model than an SCT imager, or say, Dietmar's rig as a
                      comparison, due to the shorter native focal length of my tube. You
                      can only compensate just so far with image amplification until it
                      starts to break down as you know, so I'll just take what I can get
                      shooting at 4800mm (with the 4X) and try to maximize that the best I
                      can. I may try 5X at some point, but its getting pretty close to
                      the edge of diminishing returns at 4X with my typical seeing here.

                      Thanks for taking a look!

                      Regards,
                      Wade

                      //////////

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                        Wade,

                        I was born and raised in Fort Worth, but I moved to a little town
                        called Munday about 2&1/2 years ago; it is about 80 miles north of Abilene.
                        The skies in my backyard are about mag 6.5 and about 7 to 7.5 five miles
                        outside of town. It has been a long struggle trying to get the system up and
                        running, I was at the point of first light when the heat wave hit. After I
                        catch up on all my chores, I am hoping it will not take long to get some
                        data. I have a TMB130/780 on a LXD750 with a Megrez II 80ED on top. My
                        camera is a ST10XME with Astrodon ha & crgb filters. Eventually I will put
                        them on the RC and use the LXD750 for my C-14 for visual observing, when
                        that happens, I will be able to sell my 12 inch LX200 Classic.

                        "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > http://www.compubui <http://www.compubui
                        > <http://www.compubui <http://www.compubuild.com/astro/ngc6946.htm>
                        ld.com/astro/ngc6946.htm>
                        ld.com/astro/ngc6946.htm>
                        > > ld.com/astro/ngc6946.htm
                        > >
                        > > The TMB 152 sitting on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 mount with
                        > > Lumenera webcam:
                        > > http://www.compubui <http://www.compubui
                        > <http://www.compubui <http://www.compubuild.com/astro/download/>
                        ld.com/astro/download/> ld.com/astro/download/>
                        > > ld.com/astro/download/
                        > >
                        > > Equally as fun as imaging through it is putting some time in at
                        > > the eyepiece with it. The views it gives of the planets, moon,
                        and
                        > > brighter DSO's through the eyepiece are incredible....absolutely
                        > > stunning performance from this scope, particularly when combined
                        > > with a TMB Super Mono 4 or 5mm eyepiece on planets.

                      • Wade Van Arsdale
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                          Hi Terry,
                          Yes, I'd call it not only "Big Sky Country", but also "Good Sky
                          Country" out there. I try to get out to NM as often as I can to
                          enjoy their great skies too. Just can't get that here in my neck of
                          the woods.

                          Cheers,
                          Wade