Re: How Do I Get a TMB 175?

  • Robert Anderson
    Message 1 of 64 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi Bill

      I mainly do astrophotogrpahy with my 175 which is mounted on a
      Paramount ME. I use the Optec .62 FR which takes me down to f/5 which
      is good and fast for a refractor and flat to the corners for the
      smaller ccd I use which is the Starlight Xpress SXV-H9.

      I am currently upgrading the camera which necessitates me getting the
      field flattener.

      I have had a number of my images on our Canadian Astronomy magazine's
      web site as POW and a mosaic I did of the moon at f/8 was used this
      month as the center spread on the magazine.

      For imaging, the scope is simply beyond approach. I do LRGB imaging of
      Ha regions from the city and they come out looking like narrowband.

      Example: M16 http://tpo.ca/M16-2006.htm
      or M1: http://tpo.ca/M1-2006.htm

      The high strehl of these scopes, rock solid imaging train, (I added a
      3.5" to 2.7 AP adapter after the 3.5" Starlight focuser and attached
      the Optec focuser and filter wheel behind that), ensures no alignment
      issues.

      I collimated the scope in the spring of this year and even though I go
      back and check it periodically, it is right on. In fact, I have been
      toying with the idea of getting ccdinspector to doubly check the scope
      but feel I am to some degree, doubling up on what the collimation and
      images are already telling me.

      Last night I did 4 hours on NGC7331 in Luminance, (2 hours on each side
      of the meridian), no mirror shift, no temperature issues even though
      there was a 10 degree drop during the run, (I run FocusMax every half
      hour or so), and with the large lens shield, I did not turn on the
      heaters though it was close due to dew starting to form up when I shut
      down for the night.

      The TMB 175 will handle the 6303 chip without a field flattener,
      anything larger and the field flattener is needed and it's around $750.

      My only regret is that I image from my backyard observatory and as I am
      located in the suburbs of Toronto, Canada, my skies are around Mag 3.2
      or another way of saying that for VLM, (visual limiting magnitude) of
      around 3, (I can visually, only see three stars of the little dipper
      and that includes Polaris).

      The TMB 175, f/8 has made imaging in the city for me, a highly
      satisfying hobby.

      Hope this helps.

      All the best

      Bob Anderson

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "William Ingalsbe" <ingalsbe@...>
      wrote:

      > Dan: Do you know if there is a focal reducer available for the TMB
      175. I
      > plan to use the scope for astrophotography of deep-sky objects, as
      well as
      > the planets. Regards, Bill

    • sforster12
      Message 64 of 64 , Sep 11, 2006
        The threads are the same as a Tak 1 1/4" compression eyepiece holder
        if you took off the outer tightening ring.
        STU