Re: tmb 130 f9.2

  • Wade Van Arsdale
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2006
      Hello,
      I've owned two CG-5's (also called "Celestron Advanced Series" mounts
      in their GoTo version), and assisted Celestron with beta-testing them
      up until 12/2005.

      One big possible problem to think about with the refractor
      OTA....depending on how much the OTA protrudes off the back of the
      saddle, you may have a problem with the OTA hitting the tripod legs
      when pointing near the zenith, especially with the 1200mm f.l. 130
      scope. If you've been used to using an SCT tube on your mount, you
      are going to have to really watch carefully at first to determine if
      this will be a problem in certain slew positions.

      The mount head on the CG-5 does not have a lot of stand-off or
      height above the legs, so this could present a problem with a longer
      refractor OTA. I used a 4.5 inch Vixen 890mm f.l. refractor on a
      CG-5 before getting my TMB152 and did not have any problem with tube
      clearance on the legs, even with a CCD camera attached. This could
      be a much different story though for the 1200mm tube you're getting.

      Another big fear I would have with using a CG-5 mount for the
      130/1200mm OTA is the dovetail anchor system itself. Those two screws
      are very flimsy when you think about the expensive investment that is
      riding on that saddle.

      This is also a possible problem with the Vixen mounts, since they are
      designed with the same system as the CG-5's. You're talking about an
      OTA that is at least 50% heavier than the Vixen I used on it, with
      much larger torque and momement-arm forces on those two little screws
      than my Vixen OTA had.

      Mount dovetails with a clamping-style bracket instead of just screws
      will be much safer for your OTA. Examples of these would be all the
      Losmandy mounts (still possible tripod leg clearance problems there).
      You might take a look at the Losmandy GM-8 or G-11. If the legs were a
      a problem, you could fix this by putting the mount head on a portable
      pier such as the PWT Pinnacle or Monolith piers, or one of the ATS
      piers, although a solution like this is going to be drastically
      higher than a CG-5 in price, and heavier to carry also.

      I'm sorry I can't advise you differently, but you might want to
      avoid putting a long 5 inch refractor OTA on the CG-5 for safety
      reasons...especially an OTA that is this expensive. The CG-5's
      are great mounts for their price range, but I fear you have about
      an inch or so too much aperature there with its extra weight
      and torque/moment-arm forces to be able to safely ride that payload
      on that specific mount.

      Hope this helps,
      Wade Van Arsdale
      TMB152
      Little Rock, AR., USA

      /////////////

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "nistel2004" <ajdjnutter@...> wrote:

      > hello to everyone
      > ive just orded a tmb 130 and i plan to use it on a eq 5 mount, i
      dont
      > plan on doing any astro work, so just want to know if others think
      the
      > mount will be adequate

    • gumbydad2002
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2006
        The term "adequate" is a relative term. Since the 130 f/9.2 is
        relatively long, you have a fairly long lever arm. Additionally, with
        such a really fine instrument, you are likely going to want to crank
        up the magnification on that with the Moon and Planets any chance that
        you get. Given that, I would suspect that a CG5 would be undermounting
        such a fine instrument for really high-power work. I had a TAK FS-128
        f/8 mounted on a Losmandy GM8 and it really was pretty undermounted in
        the least amount of breeze and given how long the tube was. A G11
        would be kind of overkill but it would have allowed it to be much more
        steady on those nights when I could really throw the power to it and
        there was a hint of breeze. Bob

      • cpiper007@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2006
          yes I encountered the same issue with a group I was in. It no longer
          recognizes my password or that I'm a member but my other accounts are fine.
          -Curt

        • dennis
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2006
            Thanks...

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2006
              The EQ5 will carry the load, but I think a heavier mount will give you more
              stable views in wind conditions. I would go for at least the EQ6. It is
              rated for a 40 pound load and has guider capability, if you change your mind
              later in favor of imaging. The Orion Atlas EQG is almost the same mount, and
              has full goto capabilities. For such a fine instrument as the TMB130/1200, a
              higher quality mount will make you happier in the long run. Stability in the
              wind is where the higher quality mounts really come through. In the final
              analysis, you get what you pay for!

              Terry

              http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/

              _____

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2006
                ...as already said in another thread here (best mount) I would
                recommend the GEMINI 41 mount.
                http://www.astronomy.hu/G-41.htm
                it carries the 130 tmb easily and You have much reserve in loading
                capacity! even the long lever is no problem for this mount! You can
                put up to 40 kg to it and still have a fotografic mount.
                the Gem 41 has the big advantage that there is absolutely NO backlash,
                neither in RA nor in Dec, due to it`s direct drive system.
                the PE without PEC is no more than 5 arc seconds.
                compare this to the EQ 5 or 6 - ...
                so if You`d like to do some fotografic work later on You`ll be all set
                for that right on!
                just go for it and ask Andras Dan, the creator for details.

                good luck!
                Dietmar

              • ajdjnutter@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 6, 2006
                  i neglected to say that i will have the lw tube not the cnc

                • nistel2004
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 6, 2006
                    --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                    > The EQ5 will carry the load, but I think a heavier mount will give
                    you more
                    > stable views in wind conditions. I would go for at least the EQ6.
                    It is
                    > rated for a 40 pound load and has guider capability, if you change
                    your mind
                    > later in favor of imaging. The Orion Atlas EQG is almost the same
                    mount, and
                    > has full goto capabilities. For such a fine instrument as the
                    TMB130/1200, a
                    > higher quality mount will make you happier in the long run.
                    Stability in the
                    > wind is where the higher quality mounts really come through. In the
                    final
                    > analysis, you get what you pay for!
                    >
                    > omited to mention that im getting the lw tube not the cnc one,
                    the wind shouldnt be a problem as it will be in a slide of roof
                    observatory ,but i know where your comming from

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 6, 2006
                      Congradulations on ordering a very fine 5" APO! I would think that an
                      EQ-5 mount will be inadequate to the task of mount you new scope, or
                      to put it another way, you will not be happy with using the telescope
                      on that mount. In refractors the length of the scope causes capacity
                      issues for mounts that are not evident from their weight alone. There
                      will be an unhappy amount of wiggle in the eyepiece when viewing at
                      high power, just when your TMB 130 would otherwise shine. This mount
                      will limit the performance of your fine new scope.

                      The TMB 130 f/9.2 is a long telescope. On the EQ-5 when you are
                      viewing objects near the zenith the eyepiece will be near the dirt.
                      You will want a mount that can extend taller than the EQ-5 and
                      maintain stability.

                      I would suggest at a minimum the HEQ-5 mount (USA Orion calls this the
                      Sirius EQ-G) for this scope.

                      Philip

                      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "nistel2004" <ajdjnutter@...> wrote:
                      > ive just orded a tmb 130 and i plan to use it on a eq 5 mount
                    • burtcureton
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 6, 2006
                        HI,

                        I have my beautiful 130/9 temporarily mounted on a HEQ5 Pro GOTO
                        (sold through Canadian telescope shops and shipped to the US
                        customer, me). The scope is definitely undermounted, and the scope
                        will hit the leg when slewing if you're not careful. BUT, it is very
                        portable (airline check-in), GOTO and cheap!

                        For a less portable and more satisfactory setup that will do justice
                        to the optics, get something heavier-duty, IMHO. (Maybe the HEQ 6
                        Pro GOTO).

                        Burt Cureton, currently wishing for a clear night in Honduras