Re: the warm welcome was a warm welcome. but now i need help with info.

  • Wade Van Arsdale
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6 7:17 AM
      Hi Wayne,
      Here are the specs on the 105/650 LW:
      http://www.apm-telescopes.de/info.php?id=44457

      Click the English (British Flag) icon to view the page in English.

      Let us know if any of us can be of further assistance to you in
      getting you pre-sales information. If the used one you are looking
      at is what you want and the optics/tube are still in good shape,
      I would jump on it if the price is right. Thomas could always give
      it a collimation tune-up and checkover for you to get it tip-top
      after you get it if you have any concerns about its performance since
      it's used. If its not been banged around though, it should do great
      for you. Ask the owner if he has ever cleaned the optics and if
      so, HOW he cleaned them and what materials were used. The best
      possible scenario is they have never been cleaned. Thomas can
      advise you on how best to do that after he gets back from vacation.

      There are good and bad things about doing business with a small
      family company. The downside is not much backup on personnel if
      the main (or only) guy is out for some reason. However, you also
      get very personalized and knowledgeable service in the case of TMB
      which you won't get with some other telescope companies. Believe
      me, the quality of these apo's is unbeatable, and a two week delay,
      or even six months as in my case, is well worth the wait for what
      you will be getting...even better in your case is there is one out
      there right now that you may be able to get your hands on with NO
      wait if the conditions are right. Good luck!!

      P.S...if you need info on hard cases, let us know. I have been
      able to rig up an SKB rail pack into a very good case with a little
      bit of easy custom foam cutting (foam available from SKB too).

      Hope this helps,
      Wade Van Arsdale
      TMB 152
      Little Rock, AR., USA

      ///////////////////

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "spaceexp2001" <spaceexp2001@...>
      wrote:

      > I am strongly considering the TMB 105/650 LW tube. I tried to call
      > TMB here in Ohio, but after 2 days of trying, his answering
      machine
      > now says... after 6 longs years of hard work. He is now on a much
      > needed vacation for the next 2 weeks.
      >
      > So here is what im looking for since his web site doesn't give the
      > details. And the info below the picture isn't clear on which model
      it
      > is referring to.
      >
      > The newer CNC is way out of my budget. However, I have an offer to
      > buy the LW model, used.
      >
      > So here are some quick questions that I can think of right now….
      >
      > How long is this thing when fully racked in ?
      > will it fit in a hard case no longer than 22 inches O.D. Or is
      the
      > info referring to less than 18 inches on the other model ?
      > How much does this thing weigh ?
      > How long is this thing when fully extended ?
      >
      > Now here is a question that I was NOT going to ask TMB, so ill ask
      it
      > here, I tried to contact APM twice. A day after the second try, I
      got
      > a response from the first attempt, and he gave a price shipped to
      the
      > USA, later that evening as answered my second email and gave me a
      > different price ?
      >
      > Has anyone ever bought a scope from these guys, here in the USA ?
      >
      > Should I be concerned about shipping this unit even though it's
      > coming from APM in Germany?
      >

      > That's all I can think of at the moment…… thanks for any input,
      > Respectfully: Wayne B.

    • spaceexp2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6 7:31 PM
        thank you for the responces guys.

        i also got your private emails too.

        i wanted to let you know of some new info i recieved. im not sure
        what im alowed to post here, so ill just paraphrase and sum up whats
        going on.

        i first mentioned about the newer TMB i want to buy. i thought it was
        a used product, based on an AD i responded to from A.M. dated 6.27.06
        listed by APM

        the posting was for some " great used apos for sale " and at the
        bottom of the list was the TMB 105/650 LW.

        so i asked about it here, at the same time i inquired about the scope
        for sale. and got 2 responces with 2 different price offers ?????

        after asking about shipping and the condition of the used item, the
        responce i got was this...

        " you talking about a used scope from whom ? How can I know the ID
        number of a used scope from a unknown person ?

        If you mean the TMB 105 LW I offer to you, it is brandnew and not
        used !! "

        i apoligized for my misunderstanding and offerd to buy this scope at
        the lower price offered. which by the way is several hundred dollars
        cheaper than the new price with out shipping here in the USA.

        i gave my name, number, address, as he requested, and asked one last
        time to confirm how and where to send the money.

        so heres my question... im i looking to much into this or does this
        situation seem to be questionable ????

        i got 2 responces from people today about this purchase and both of
        them had said to me i should NOT worry about buying from APM.
        although there was a good suggestion on why i should buy local. and i
        agree!

        by the way, i am more interested in the LW version because based on
        its packing size, i can put it in a case for airline carry-on.

        any more thoughts or help would be a BIG help.

        thank you again in advance...
        respectfully: WAyne B.

        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7 11:26 AM
          Wayne,

          For your info; an old CNC version was just posted on A-mart.

          http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=439292

          Terry

          http://www.geocities.com/tlt284@.../terryshuntofthemonth/

          _____

          --- In tmboptical@yahoogro <mailto:tmboptical%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7 12:10 PM
            >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:
            >
            > Wayne,
            >
            > For your info; an old CNC version was just posted on A-mart.

            Hi Terry,

            I hope you don't mind me jumping in with a couple questions:

            I don't have an A*mart account so I don't know who the seller is.
            When I see images of a product direct from the manufacturer's sight, I
            get a bit nervous. Is this the seller 'known' to the TMB community?

            The other question would be the overall length of this one.

            ___
            Tim

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7 3:17 PM
              Hi Tim,

              I not sure if he is known to the TMB group. As the ad says, his name is
              Tom Quigley. He has a 5 star rating on A-mart. I don't know the overall
              length, but he has includes a carry-on sized hard aluminum case. This is all
              I know; I saw the ad and passed it on. I would ask for images of the scope
              and case if it was me.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7 3:43 PM
                >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:
                >
                > Hi Tim,

                Hi Terry,

                Thanks. To see the sellers info one has to have a A*mart account.
                His name sounds familiar.

                ___