Re: Paragon/LE eyepieces

  • tmboptical
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

      > Thomas,
      >
      > Not to change the subject, but what is the latest on the quartz
      > diagonal?
      >
      > Terry

      Hi Terry,

      There are two TMB quartz 2" diagonals coming to market. The first, is
      the $199.00 model, that is better than 1/10 wave Peak to Valley on
      the wavefront, after the dielectric coating is on the mirror. Of all
      the dielectric 99+% reflectivity diagonals we have tested on a Zygo
      interferometer, they were all below 1/10 wave Peak to Valley on
      the wavefront. This model will be an all hard, glossy black anodized
      finish, and will come with test report. The estimated delivery for
      the sale of this model, is a matter of one week to three weeks.
      I have pre-orders already on this diagonal.

      The second TMB dielectric quartz 2" diagonal, will have collimation
      (the first one is CNC milled, and in testing, I found it to be
      right on in collimation), on the back plate, so you can first
      collimate your main optics, and then the diagonal, so you know
      for sure, that at any angle the diagonal is at, it will be in
      "perfect" collimation. This diagonal will have a wavefront of
      1/12 to 1/20 wave Peak to Valley on the wavefront, after the
      dielectric coating. Why so high? We found a dielectric coating
      that still reflects 99% in the peak visual wavelengths, but
      doesn't need 50+ layers to accomplish the extremely high
      reflectivity. Thus, with the fewer layers, the stress on the
      substrate is much less, and the diagonal can have a higher
      wavefront, and super high reflectivity. The price on this
      diagonal is $299.00. Availability is about one to two months.

      We will be showing these new diagonals, and many other TMB
      products at the BFSP. And, the BFSP has the most TMB/APM
      telescopes of any star party I go to, or known of in the US.
      There is a very good chance that a TMB 9" f/9, on an AP 1200
      GTO, and PWT pier will be at the BFSP. That will be a blast.
      And I think Eric B. is going to bring his 7" f/8 TMB too.

      One last comment about wavefront quality in a diagonal used
      in a refractor, or Cassegrain system. Because the tiny amount
      of area used on the diagonal, when looking at an object as
      big as Jupiter, a 1/10 wave diagonal, is really closer to
      1/100 wave, over that ~50 arc second object. What I am saying
      is don't get too concerned about a diagonal, if one is 1/10
      wave, and the other is 1/14 wave. You won't be able to see the
      difference at these very high levels of wavefront quality.
      More important is system collimation, and that the diagonal
      is smooth (quartz polishes better than any other optical
      substrate), that the coating is smooth, lacks pinholes, and
      has high reflectivity, that can be cleaned often, so you
      can get the best, low scatter, high contrast images, without
      the fear of scratching the surface of the mirror.

      Thomas Back
    • tmboptical
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "gnowellsct" <tim71pos@...> wrote:

        > Many of us SCT owners strongly advise against the 55mm plossl.
        > Although at first glance it is a cost effective way to get a wide
        > field, it has a dramatic tendency to "gray out" the sky
        background.
        > As Rod Mollise recently noted "not even Televue can make a good
        55mm
        > plossl."
        >
        > Almost any alternative in the 40mm 70 degree range will be better
        > (consider UO 40mm MK70, or even the inexpensive Chinese brands).
        > That is to say, you will get IDENTICAL field of view at higher
        > power, and thus better sky contrast on those wide field clusters.
        > (Which won't be too wide in a C14).
        >
        > regards
        > Greg N

        Another consideration for a C-14 is the 40mm TMB 68 degree Paragon
        eyepiece. The problem of "gray out" of the sky background is gone,
        that any 55mm eyepiece will have.

        Thomas Back
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
          Thanks Thomas,

          One question; are the quartz mirrors of equal quality in both versions?

          > Not to change the subject, but what is the latest on the quartz
          > diagonal?
          >
          > Terry

          Hi Terry,

          There are two TMB quartz 2" diagonals coming to market. The first, is
          the $199.00 model, that is better than 1/10 wave Peak to Valley on
          the wavefront, after the dielectric coating is on the mirror. Of all
          the dielectric 99+% reflectivity diagonals we have tested on a Zygo
          interferometer, they were all below 1/10 wave Peak to Valley on
          the wavefront. This model will be an all hard, glossy black anodized
          finish, and will come with test report. The estimated delivery for
          the sale of this model, is a matter of one week to three weeks.
          I have pre-orders already on this diagonal.

          The second TMB dielectric quartz 2" diagonal, will have collimation
          (the first one is CNC milled, and in testing, I found it to be
          right on in collimation), on the back plate, so you can first
          collimate your main optics, and then the diagonal, so you know
          for sure, that at any angle the diagonal is at, it will be in
          "perfect" collimation. This diagonal will have a wavefront of
          1/12 to 1/20 wave Peak to Valley on the wavefront, after the
          dielectric coating. Why so high? We found a dielectric coating
          that still reflects 99% in the peak visual wavelengths, but
          doesn't need 50+ layers to accomplish the extremely high
          reflectivity. Thus, with the fewer layers, the stress on the
          substrate is much less, and the diagonal can have a higher
          wavefront, and super high reflectivity. The price on this
          diagonal is $299.00. Availability is about one to two months.

          We will be showing these new diagonals, and many other TMB
          products at the BFSP. And, the BFSP has the most TMB/APM
          telescopes of any star party I go to, or known of in the US.
          There is a very good chance that a TMB 9" f/9, on an AP 1200
          GTO, and PWT pier will be at the BFSP. That will be a blast.
          And I think Eric B. is going to bring his 7" f/8 TMB too.

          One last comment about wavefront quality in a diagonal used
          in a refractor, or Cassegrain system. Because the tiny amount
          of area used on the diagonal, when looking at an object as
          big as Jupiter, a 1/10 wave diagonal, is really closer to
          1/100 wave, over that ~50 arc second object. What I am saying
          is don't get too concerned about a diagonal, if one is 1/10
          wave, and the other is 1/14 wave. You won't be able to see the
          difference at these very high levels of wavefront quality.
          More important is system collimation, and that the diagonal
          is smooth (quartz polishes better than any other optical
          substrate), that the coating is smooth, lacks pinholes, and
          has high reflectivity, that can be cleaned often, so you
          can get the best, low scatter, high contrast images, without
          the fear of scratching the surface of the mirror.

          Thomas Back

          Tmb
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Tmb&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+software&c=2&s=
          33&.sig=PlRXU6zNlxDsbtBB9l9qfA>

          Astronomy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy+software&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+
          software&c=2&s=33&.sig=zSJQvv1ctq7PQ9zz1zYjMQ> software

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "tmboptical
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tmboptical> " on the web.

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
            Thomas,

            I have been considering just that. I may put the Pentax xl on the
            market.

            > Many of us SCT owners strongly advise against the 55mm plossl.
            > Although at first glance it is a cost effective way to get a wide
            > field, it has a dramatic tendency to "gray out" the sky
            background.
            > As Rod Mollise recently noted "not even Televue can make a good
            55mm
            > plossl."
            >
            > Almost any alternative in the 40mm 70 degree range will be better
            > (consider UO 40mm MK70, or even the inexpensive Chinese brands).
            > That is to say, you will get IDENTICAL field of view at higher
            > power, and thus better sky contrast on those wide field clusters.
            > (Which won't be too wide in a C14).
            >
            > regards
            > Greg N

            Another consideration for a C-14 is the 40mm TMB 68 degree Paragon
            eyepiece. The problem of "gray out" of the sky background is gone,
            that any 55mm eyepiece will have.

            Thomas Back

            Tmb
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Tmb&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+software&c=2&s=
            33&.sig=PlRXU6zNlxDsbtBB9l9qfA>

            Astronomy
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy+software&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+
            software&c=2&s=33&.sig=zSJQvv1ctq7PQ9zz1zYjMQ> software

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "tmboptical
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tmboptical> " on the web.

          • gnowellsct
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
              Is there a description of the TMB Paragon 68 on the TMB web site?
              thanks Greg N

              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical" <TMBoptical@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "gnowellsct" <tim71pos@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Many of us SCT owners strongly advise against the 55mm plossl.
              > > Although at first glance it is a cost effective way to get a
              wide
              > > field, it has a dramatic tendency to "gray out" the sky
              > background.
              > > As Rod Mollise recently noted "not even Televue can make a good
              > 55mm
              > > plossl."
              > >
              > > Almost any alternative in the 40mm 70 degree range will be
              better
              > > (consider UO 40mm MK70, or even the inexpensive Chinese
              brands).
              > > That is to say, you will get IDENTICAL field of view at higher
              > > power, and thus better sky contrast on those wide field
              clusters.
              > > (Which won't be too wide in a C14).
              > >
              > > regards
              > > Greg N
              >
              > Another consideration for a C-14 is the 40mm TMB 68 degree Paragon
              > eyepiece. The problem of "gray out" of the sky background is gone,
              > that any 55mm eyepiece will have.
              >
              > Thomas Back

            • tmboptical
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
                --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Thomas,
                >
                > One question; are the quartz mirrors of equal quality in both
                versions?

                > Terry

                Hi Terry,

                As I said in my last e-mail on the two new TMB quartz diagonals,
                the $199.00 model will have the same quality quartz, polish, and
                coating smoothness like the $299.00 TMB diagonal. The only
                difference, is the $299.00 diagonal will have collimation, and
                because the dielectric coatings on the $299.00 model have less
                layers, the average diagonal will have a slightly higher total
                area wavefront flatness. However, I seriously doubt that anyone
                will be able to see any difference, under the night sky.

                I will test each one against the other, and I'll report back my
                observations, and I hope other people will too.

                The bottom line is both TMB quartz diagonals will be so close to
                like nothing is there, i.e., it will be like looking straight
                through, instead of the normal slight losses an additional optical
                element introduces when it is placed in an optical system. It comes
                down to if you want collimation, the slightly higher wavefront on
                average (again, I doubt that anyone will see the difference), and
                what price do you want to pay.

                Thomas Back
              • tmboptical
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006
                  --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                  > Thomas,
                  >
                  > I have been considering just that. I may put the Pentax xl on the
                  > market.
                  >
                  > Terry

                  Terry,

                  We will have them in stock soon, thanks.

                  Thomas Back
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 2, 2006