Re: Planet Imaging with the TMB's

  • Dan Kaplan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2006
      I use the 4X powermate and like it a lot. I also have a 5x but will
      typically use it for something smaller, like Mars. Also, I will
      generally use a diagonal. I've compared the images to straight-
      through with an extension, but haven't been able to notice a
      difference, although I guess some, maybe most, may disagree. The
      advantage I've found with the diagonal is that you can put the
      powermate on top of the diagonal and then place the webcam into
      that. Or, you can use the extension, mount the powermate into that,
      mount the diagonal into that and then place the webcam on the
      diagonal. The powermate being farther forward gives more
      magnification of the image. BTW, I use a TMB 175 f8.

      Dan

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Do you guys have any recommendations on magnifying planets for
      > web-camming them? I am considering a 4X Televue Powermate for my
      > new TMB152 (1200mm F.L.). I already have a 2X, but I think that
      may
      > not be enough, especially since the TMB's hold up so well at higher
      > magnifications.
      >
      > What I was wondering specifically...has anyone had any problems
      with
      > the Powermates introducing any chromatic abberation or artificial
      > coloring into their planetary shots? The images I've seen here
      look
      > so "pure" with no artificial coloring, would the Televue's be a
      safe
      > choice?
      >
      > I've read you want around 0.25-0.5 arc-sec/per pixel image
      resolution
      > for best details when web-camming planets. Going by this rule,
      I'll
      > definitely need the 4X Powermate. Is anyone out there using this
      one?
      > If so, how do you like it? I'm most concerned about keeping the
      > colors neutral on these brightest objects, with no chromatic
      > abberation being introduced.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Wade Van Arsdale
      > TMB152 (soon)