Re: New TMB 152

  • Wade Van Arsdale
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2006
      Awesome! I'll be looking forward to hearing how it's going with
      the new scope and some pics later on maybe. Enjoy!

      Wade

      ////////////

      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mcf378" <jsavit@...> wrote:

      > Wade-
      >
      > Thank you for the warm welcome. I received an email from Robin
      > Casady and he said the dedicated CGE saddle will be ready in about
      > 60 days. I'm also waiting on delivery of a "Scopebuggy". This way
      > can leave the OTA mounted to the CGE and just wheel it out. I plan
      > on getting started with video imaging first then moving on to some
      > CCD work.
      >
      > Joe
      >
      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Van Arsdale" <uwpf23@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mcf378" <jsavit@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I just took delivery on my TMB 152 this past Friday.....<<<<
      > >
      > > Thanks Joe and Peter for the information. I have a TMB152 coming
      > > hopefully in about 3 weeks or so and will also use it on a CGE
      > > mount for portable trips, and an MI-250 for imaging.
      > >
      > > Joe, I don't know how you are set on dovetails, saddles,
      etc...,but
      > > for the CGE, Robin Casady makes a very nice tip-in dovetail
      saddle
      > > that will work very well with the Losmandy "DUP" dovetail plate:
      > > http://www.robincasady.com/Astro/dovetail.html (the 8 inch
      > saddle).
      > >
      > > I used the 8 inch "DOVE-8" saddle and Losmandy "DUP" dovetail
      plate
      > > for my Vixen 4.5 inch refractor OTA and that made a nice match.
      > > However, with the DOVE-8, you will need to drill one centered
      hole
      > > in it right above the two mounting holes and forward of the
      topmost
      > > mounting hole for the CGE centering pin on the mount casting to
      fit
      > > into. It's very easy to do though using the original saddle as a
      > > template. You also will need to take off the two clutch knobs
      that
      > > sit next to the dovetail saddle and work the clutches with a box
      > end
      > > wrench instead. At first glance, I thought this would be too
      much
      > > trouble, but it really is very easy to do since the mount is a
      Go-
      > > To. I only clamp the clutches once after balancing the payload,
      > and
      > > then I'm done with that the rest of the night. I thought all
      this
      > > would be too much hassle until I tried a tip-in vs. slide-in
      > > saddle. Much easier with heavier payloads and less risk to the
      OTA
      > > when mounting it with the tip-in version! I know with the cost
      of
      > > these TMB's, I will be very nervous every time I put it on the
      > > saddle!
      > >
      > > Robin is currently working on a CGE replacement saddle that does
      > not
      > > require these mods. You might check with him to see how that is
      > > going: mailto:astro@
      > >
      > > I plan to get one of his new ones for my CGE as soon as he starts
      > > selling them.
      > >
      > > Since I don't have the 152 yet, I am assuming the tube rings that
      > > will come with the OTA will fit the Losmandy DUP dovetail plate
      > just
      > > fine. I don't anticipate any problems there at all as the DUP
      has
      > > been universally compatible with all the rings I've tried on it
      so
      > > far.
      > >
      > > Any other mounting suggestions from the "TMB'ers" would be
      > > appreciated.
      > >
      > > Joe, sorry I can't answer all your questions yet, but I'm sure
      > > somebody here will know. I do think from what I've read the
      finder
      > > is designed to rotate around the back end of the tube for easier
      > > positioning and the twist-lock sleeve tightens it.
      > >
      > > I plan to use the TMB Super Monos (4 and 5mm) for visual
      planetary
      > > work with the 152, as well as some Televue Radians. Thomas's
      Super

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2006
        Joe,

        Congratulations on the delivery of your new scope, I know the more you
        use it, the more you will like it. The TMB's do not disappoint! I have a
        130/780 that I am just at the verge of first light with my ST10xme. I was
        working with FocusMax last night for the first time. I have a ways to go to
        establish a V curve, but hopefully, I will get that out of the way next time
        out.

        It is hard, if not impossible to beat the TMB Super Mono's for high
        power observing. The reviews are also favorable for the new TMB/Burgess
        Planetary series; being close to the performance of the monos with a 60 deg
        FOV and at a very reasonable price, considering the competition.

        Enjoy your new scope and welcome to the group,

        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2006
          Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:05:37 -0000
          From: "mcf378" <jsavit@...>
          Subject: New TMB 152

          3) What has been the favorite high power eyepiece for the 152? I
          have a Panoptic 27mm and Panoptic 15mm for low to medium powers.

          [WG:] Joe, I will second what Peter said: for me it is a toss-up
          between the 5mm or the 8mm TMB Supermonocentric(s), depending on seeing
          conditions.

          To my knowledge, the only true reference standard oculars to be used
          with a true reference standard optic that are fairly obtainable and
          affordable, and that you can be 100% sure is giving you absolutely
          everything the system is capable of minus what the atmosphere taketh
          away.

          WayneG
        • tmboptical
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2006
            > Joe,
            >
            > Congratulations on the delivery of your new scope, I know the
            more you
            > use it, the more you will like it. The TMB's do not disappoint! I
            have a
            > 130/780 that I am just at the verge of first light with my ST10xme.
            I was
            > working with FocusMax last night for the first time. I have a ways
            to go to
            > establish a V curve, but hopefully, I will get that out of the way
            next time
            > out.
            >
            > It is hard, if not impossible to beat the TMB Super Mono's for
            high
            > power observing. The reviews are also favorable for the new
            TMB/Burgess
            > Planetary series; being close to the performance of the monos with
            a 60 deg
            > FOV and at a very reasonable price, considering the competition.
            >
            > Enjoy your new scope and welcome to the group,
            >
            > Terry

            > 3) What has been the favorite high power eyepiece for the 152? I
            > have a Panoptic 27mm and Panoptic 15mm for low to medium powers.
            >

            > [WG:] Joe, I will second what Peter said: for me it is a toss-up
            > between the 5mm or the 8mm TMB Supermonocentric(s), depending on
            seeing
            > conditions.
            >
            > To my knowledge, the only true reference standard oculars to be used
            > with a true reference standard optic that are fairly obtainable and
            > affordable, and that you can be 100% sure is giving you absolutely
            > everything the system is capable of minus what the atmosphere taketh
            > away.
            >
            > WayneG

            Terry and Wayne,

            Thanks for the recommendations and praise both of you gave to my
            TMB eyepieces. I may be biased, but from an optical standpoint,
            and observing with the Super Monos for 3 years now, and comparing
            them to all the worlds best planetary eyepieces, I have never seen
            any eyepiece that can match them when it comes to on-axis sharpness,
            definition, contrast, and lack of scatter. It is too bad that
            they are very hard to get, and that the Euro is again moving way
            up again. Markus still has some in stock, and is trying to have
            some more made, but I have had on order a pair of 16mm Super Monos
            for a customer for 6 months, and I still have no idea when I will
            be able to ship them to him.

            The BO/TMB Planetary eyepieces are very close in performance,
            give a 60 degree field, and 15mm-16mm of eye relief. They bino-
            view wonderfully too. And at $99.00, they can't be beat. We
            should have some other focal lengths at NEAF, and by the time
            the BFSP is here, all 9 focal lengths should be in production.

            Regards,

            Thomas Back