Re: CNC 4 inch focuser modification

  • tmboptical
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1 12:58 AM
      --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mrgrytt" <mrgrytt@i...> wrote:

      > --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Halstead"
      > <dannyhalstead44@m...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Harvey,
      > > Is there a place where someone who is not all that gifted
      > > mechanically can send their scope for this modification with a
      > > reasonable guarantee that afterwards the focuser will still be
      > > centered with the objective and collimation of the objective still
      > > right on?
      >
      > This is probably the biggest difficulty with the modification.
      > The person owning the scope really needs to have the proper
      > collimation tools and the ability to properly assemble the scope
      after
      > the focuser modification.
      > If, for whatever reason, you aren't able to do it yourself I
      > could only suggest Thomas as the one who would definitely make it
      > right for you. I have no idea if he would be interested in extra
      work
      > at this time. He usually has his plate fairly full.
      >
      > > I have a silver CNC TMB 115 older scope with very little use and
      > > have also had added the feather touch 2 inch focuser as well.
      > > A general price estimate would be nice.
      >
      > After having the focuser for my TMB 175 modified I still have
      not
      > been notified on the cost. I'm sure I'll find out soon.
      >
      > > I would love to have ThomasBack do the work but I am unsure if he
      > > is interested or the best qualified since he is not the originator
      > > of this modification but would however take his word if he would
      > > be willing to do it it.
      >
      > Thomas would certainly be the most qualified person, without
      > question. Whether he would be willing to do this is something only
      he
      > can answer.
      > The modification has no effect on the proper assembly and
      > collimation of the scope. It only affects the precision of the
      > rotation mechanism.
      >
      > > How about it. Is there any one out there
      > > who can do this Any information would be most appreciated. The
      > > original 3 inch focuser is still on the tube with the Feather
      Touch
      > > acting only as a fine focus means.
      > > R/S,
      > > Danny Halstead
      >
      > In a few weeks I will be sending in the 3 inch focuser from my
      > 105/650 and perhaps the machine shop will be willing to do a few of
      > them at once, as they did this time. Don't know for sure, but we
      > could ask them about the amount they would be willing to do and the
      > timing involved.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Harvey

      Hi Harvey,

      No, I can't possibly fit this into my work. I am backed up on not
      only current telescopes, design work, but also telescopes that
      need repair. Sorry I can't do this kind of work, but there are
      only 7 days in a week, and I work all of them.

      If customers want to modify their TMB telescopes, that is fine,
      but as any telescope company would tell you, modifying telescopes
      places them out of under warranty. This would not affect the lens,
      and other parts that were not modified, but I cannot foresee what
      can happen, when the telescope is modified in any way. It is not
      that I discourage modifying, it can take the telescope and make
      it better, but the owner must understand that they are now
      responsible for that modification.

      Thanks for understanding,

      Thomas Back
    • mrgrytt
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1 4:51 AM
        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "tmboptical" <TMBoptical@a...> wrote:

        > Hi Harvey,
        >
        > No, I can't possibly fit this into my work. I am backed up on not
        > only current telescopes, design work, but also telescopes that
        > need repair. Sorry I can't do this kind of work, but there are
        > only 7 days in a week, and I work all of them.

        I certainly didn't think you would have time for something like
        this.
        Even though it's not very difficult for a person to 'do it
        themself' it's a scary thing to recommend, particularly if they don't
        feel comfortable about it. I wouldn't want to see anyone take a
        chance of hurting their scope.

        > If customers want to modify their TMB telescopes, that is fine,
        > but as any telescope company would tell you, modifying telescopes
        > places them out of under warranty. This would not affect the lens,
        > and other parts that were not modified, but I cannot foresee what
        > can happen, when the telescope is modified in any way. It is not
        > that I discourage modifying, it can take the telescope and make
        > it better, but the owner must understand that they are now
        > responsible for that modification.
        >
        > Thanks for understanding,
        >
        > Thomas Back

        That's certainly very understandable. The good thing is that the
        scopes are fine without the modification. The modificaton only raises
        the level of perfection, but you can certainly get by without it.
        I would suspect that there could be some possible image shifting
        when loosening the collar on the Feathertouch 3.5 inch focuser too.
        The modification simply puts the CNC focuser a step ahead of most
        anything else in this area. Just makes a great focuser even greater.
        Also, I would be more than happy to help anyone with it if the
        location would make it reasonable. Maybe Tim would too.

        Regards,
        Harvey
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1 12:26 PM
          >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "mrgrytt" <mrgrytt@...> wrote:
          >
          > That's certainly very understandable. The good thing is that
          > the scopes are fine without the modification. The modificaton only
          > raises the level of perfection, but you can certainly get by
          > without it.
          > I would suspect that there could be some possible image
          > shifting when loosening the collar on the Feathertouch 3.5 inch
          > focuser too.
          > The modification simply puts the CNC focuser a step ahead of most
          > anything else in this area. Just makes a great focuser even
          > greater.

          Personally, I think this makes the classic CNC the best scope out there.

          > Also, I would be more than happy to help anyone with it if the
          > location would make it reasonable. Maybe Tim would too.

          If anyone in San Diego area is interested, contact me off list.

          Danny: If you want to send me the scope I can have this taken care of
          for you. Send me an email.

          ___
          Tim
        • Wayne G
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1 1:48 PM
            Hi Harvey,

            Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:51:58 -0000
            From: "mrgrytt" <mrgrytt@...>
            Subject: Re: CNC 4 inch focuser modification

            Even though it's not very difficult for a person to 'do it
            themself' it's a scary thing to recommend, particularly if they don't
            feel comfortable about it. I wouldn't want to see anyone take a
            chance of hurting their scope.

            [WG: ] I've been looking into doing this as well to my own 152 for a
            few years now, as sometimes my rotating section can go from turning very
            easy and smooth to being suddenly jammed up so tight that no effort at
            forward movement helps and I end up knocking the whole scope out of
            position and losing the object trying to get it loose again.

            I always intend to look into the matter 'later' but end up putting the
            scope away and forgetting about it until the next time I take it out!
            :^)

            Obviously, it would seem that the heart of the problem is that there is
            nothing other than the three set screws riding in the channel which both
            hold and guide the rotating sleeve in its motions.

            But I also hope/think it very likely that if I follow Thomas' adjustment
            procedures recently published (thanks Tom), this will probably either
            greatly ameliorate or even largely eliminate the problem to any
            reasonable extent, which I will try some day soon when I get the chance.
            But there is still the likelihood of the problem returning again later I
            fear. The key is in taking the weight off of the groove walls and
            eliminating the friction between them and the screws (which your
            modification accomplishes).

            However, as I do my own machining, I will be eventually settling on some
            solution of my own choosing--- I suspect there is more than one way to
            address the issue, and correct the deficiency so as to entirely
            eliminate it from coming back again and further improving the smoothness
            and stability of the rotating collar, which is imminently superb when it
            is working well.

            To be honest, my own ideas to this problem have been to take an entirely
            different approach to the one that you and Tim have chosen, but we
            shall see once I have the parts all apart in my hands what I will
            decide.

            In the meantime, as to your comments above, what I would ask and propose
            here is for maybe you, Tim, or some other enterprising and magnanimous
            person to put together a detailed description and drawings/photos of the
            disassembly, reassembly, and any other pertinent points, obstacles or
            hurdles for anyone undertaking such an improvement/modification of their
            focuser to follow, and maybe put it in the files section for all of us
            to refer to?

            I've looked at Tim's pictures of the parts, both privately as well as
            those recently published here, but they always leave me some questions
            as to what the issues were in taking it apart. Mechanically inclined as
            I am, I would feel better (as I think many would who are considering
            this) knowing exactly what they are getting into before taking a very
            expensive product like this apart. I think it is the time now for a
            detailed and thorough article on addressing this matter safely and with
            minimal risk, much like many others have published articles on taking
            apart corrector plates on SCTs and fixing loose primaries, mirror flop
            and focus shift. The fact that you say above that the procedure is not
            very difficult tells me that it is really quite simple once you see how
            the scope is put together, which obviously was designed to be very
            robust, as all TMB products have been!

            Can I compel you to be our volunteer to create such a document for us?
            :-) You wouldn't be recommending anything, just giving us the dry facts
            of what is involved and a roadmap based on your own knowledge and
            experience.

            Thanks,

            Wayne
          • mrgrytt
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1 1:55 PM
              --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Tube Tim" <potentate@...> wrote:

              > > The modification simply puts the CNC focuser a step ahead of most
              > > anything else in this area. Just makes a great focuser even
              > > greater.
              >
              > Personally, I think this makes the classic CNC the best scope out
              > there.
              > ___
              > Tim

              Tim,
              You know I agree with that.

              Harvey
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1 5:53 PM
                Wayne,

                Tim sent me a PDF on disassembly for my Mod, I will post that in the
                files, and Thomas has asked me to combine his writ-up and my additional
                comments into one procedure, which I will do after I receive and reassemble
                my scope.

[...]

                Tmb
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Tmb&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+magazine&w3=Ast
                ronomy&c=3&s=48&.sig=S-9fdBRdYoZMidF3CQ4kxA>

                Astronomy
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy+magazine&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+
                magazine&w3=Astronomy&c=3&s=48&.sig=futZRZpaAgNPqk1ni_L7jQ> magazine

                Astronomy
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy&w1=Tmb&w2=Astronomy+magazine&
                w3=Astronomy&c=3&s=48&.sig=CfIkLxvgk7f1_Znsss7-cg>

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "tmboptical
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tmboptical> " on the web.

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1 6:01 PM
                  >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G" <fomalhaut@...> wrote:

                  There you go Wayne. Note: Not I am not responsible for content nor
                  damage caused by someone attempting this. Please be sure you capable
                  of taking this on.

                  Tim

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1 6:02 PM
                    >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Tuggle" <tlt284@...> wrote:

                    Terry,

                    Our messages crossed so I deleted the redundant file as we both posted
                    the PDF.

                    Tim

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1 6:48 PM
                      >--- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G" <fomalhaut@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Hi Harvey,

                      Hi Wayne,

                      Not Harvey, but Tim here,

                      > [WG: ] I've been looking into doing this as well to my own 152
                      > for a few years now, as sometimes my rotating section can go from
                      > turning very easy and smooth to being suddenly jammed up so tight
                      > that no effort at forward movement helps and I end up knocking the
                      > whole scope out of position and losing the object trying to get it
                      > loose again.

                      I've been thinking thru the rotating focuser for years myself.
                      Without the fix, mine always spun smoothly, you just have to keep
                      upward pressure on the drawtube housing.

                      > I always intend to look into the matter 'later' but end up putting
                      > the scope away and forgetting about it until the next time I
                      > take it out!
                      > :^)
                      >
                      > Obviously, it would seem that the heart of the problem is that there
                      > is nothing other than the three set screws riding in the channel
                      > which both hold and guide the rotating sleeve in its motions.

                      This is true as far as holding the sleeve from falling back. The
                      sleeve and it's contact with the main flange are very well machined
                      and precisely fit.

                      > But I also hope/think it very likely that if I follow Thomas'
                      > adjustment procedures recently published (thanks Tom), this will
                      > probably either greatly ameliorate or even largely eliminate the
                      > problem to any reasonable extent, which I will try some day soon
                      > when I get the chance.

                      TMB's adjustment is for the drawtube friction / centering, no bearing
                      on the rotating part.

                      > But there is still the likelihood of the problem returning again
                      > later I fear. The key is in taking the weight off of the groove
                      > walls and eliminating the friction between them and the screws
                      > (which your modification accomplishes).

                      Correct, you have to hold the sleeve up into the housing so the
                      setscrews never contact metal groove.

                      > However, as I do my own machining, I will be eventually settling on
                      > some solution of my own choosing--- I suspect there is more than
                      > one way to address the issue, and correct the deficiency so as to
                      > entirely eliminate it from coming back again and further improving
                      > the smoothness and stability of the rotating collar, which is
                      > imminently superb when it is working well.

                      Agreed the collar is super smooth. The fix makes the mechanism behave
                      like this at all times without the need to hold the focuser from
                      slipping onto the set screws. Imagine, loosen the lock screw, gently
                      rotate to exact position, even with heavy load on focuser, then gently
                      lock it down. A lot of force is not required.

                      > To be honest, my own ideas to this problem have been to take an
                      > entirely different approach to the one that you and Tim have chosen,
                      > but we shall see once I have the parts all apart in my hands what I
                      > will decide.

                      I really wish you could come up with something that didn't require any
                      machining. I've looked at this and it seems every thing requires some
                      machining.

                      > In the meantime, as to your comments above, what I would ask and
                      > propose here is for maybe you, Tim, or some other enterprising and
                      > magnanimous person to put together a detailed description and
                      > drawings/photos of the disassembly, reassembly, and any other
                      > pertinent points, obstacles or hurdles for anyone undertaking such
                      > an improvement/modification of their focuser to follow, and maybe
                      > put it in the files section for all of us to refer to?

                      I got the disassembly part done and posted. My one comment about
                      reassembly would be to prevent stripping out the focuser housing when
                      put the long threaded rods back into place. To start the thread
                      easier, turn the rod CCW until you feel a 'click' of the threads
                      lining up (in phase) and then start turning CW.

                      > I've looked at Tim's pictures of the parts, both privately as well
                      > as those recently published here, but they always leave me some
                      > questions as to what the issues were in taking it apart.
                      > Mechanically inclined as I am, I would feel better (as I think many
                      > would who are considering this) knowing exactly what they are
                      > getting into before taking a very expensive product like this apart.
                      > I think it is the time now for a detailed and thorough article on
                      > addressing this matter safely and with minimal risk, much like many
                      > others have published articles on taking apart corrector plates on
                      > SCTs and fixing loose primaries, mirror flop and focus shift. The
                      > fact that you say above that the procedure is not very difficult
                      > tells me that it is really quite simple once you see how the scope
                      > is put together, which obviously was designed to be very
                      > robust, as all TMB products have been!

                      It's not to bad to take apart as long as one marks the orientation of
                      everything. In fact if you don't touch the push screws on the lens
                      cell it goes back to near perfect collimation. Shoot on my 229, I
                      didn't mark the tube as to orientation of alignment with lens etc and
                      it still came out real close. The tubes are obviously cut square, a
                      huge help.

                      > Can I compel you to be our volunteer to create such a document for
                      > us? :-)
                      > You wouldn't be recommending anything, just giving us the dry facts
                      > of what is involved and a roadmap based on your own knowledge and
                      > experience.

                      Let me know what you guys / gals think of the paper. I can add to it
                      if need be. I could even tear down my 152 again and take better pics.

                      ___
                      Tim
                    • mrgrytt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1 9:02 PM
                        Hi Wayne,

                        --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G" <fomalhaut@...> wrote:

                        > [WG: ] I've been looking into doing this as well to my own 152
                        > for a few years now, as sometimes my rotating section can go from
                        > turning very easy and smooth to being suddenly jammed up so tight
                        > that no effort at forward movement helps and I end up knocking the
                        > whole scope out of position and losing the object trying to get it
                        > loose again.
                        >
                        > I always intend to look into the matter 'later' but end up putting
                        > the scope away and forgetting about it until the next time I take it
                        > out! :^)

                        I remember our discussions about this issue some time ago.
                        Perhaps you'll be able to come up with an even easier method of
                        correcting the problem. If you do, it will be good news for everyone
                        who owns one of the original TMB optical tubes.
                        It was actually pretty easy to see what was needed to do the job.
                        The hard part was figuring out how to do it without loosing any
                        outward drawtube travel. That was accomplished, but it made the "fix"
                        a bit more sophistocated than originally thought.
                        Be sure and let us know what you come up with if you find an
                        additional way to correct it. Also, be sure and get the full details
                        on the existing "fix". If you do your own machining you could
                        probably handle it very easily, should you decide to do it that way.
                        With the present modification I honestly think you could rotate
                        the focuser at 500 RPM overnight with 10 pounds on it while aimed at
                        the Zenith and it would still be perfect in the morning. It is worth
                        looking at before you do something else.

                        Regards,
                        Harvey
                      • dennis
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1 9:27 PM
                          Why would anyone want to deconstruct an already great focuser, anyway???
                          There you go Wayne. Note: Not I am not responsible for content nor
                          damage caused by someone attempting this. Please be sure you capable
                          of taking this on.

                          Tim

                          > In the meantime, as to your comments above, what I would ask and propose
                          > here is for maybe you, Tim, or some other enterprising and magnanimous
                          > person to put together a detailed description and drawings/photos of the
                          > disassembly, reassembly, and any other pertinent points, obstacles or
                          > hurdles for anyone undertaking such an improvement/modification of their
                          > focuser to follow, and maybe put it in the files section for all of us
                          > to refer to?

                          Service.

                        • mrgrytt
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 2 7:27 AM
                            --- In tmboptical@yahoogroups.com, "dennis" <tracy_tracy@...> wrote:

                            > Why would anyone want to deconstruct an already great focuser,
                            > anyway???

                            Dennis,
                            I think in the most strict sense of the word it really isn't the
                            "focuser" that is being modified, but rather the way in which it is
                            connected to the rear tube flange.
                            We want to be able to rotate it as precisely as we can focus with
                            it. Although it is very good already, with the modification it can be
                            made better than anything else on the market in the rotating function.

                            Harvey
                          • dennis
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 2 12:25 PM
                              Must have read it wrong at first, sorry...